My '98 VVTi TT manual

SilverSoop

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeh that might be an idea actually Jon...Im going to ask Lui if i can have a ride in his and i was wondering if i could have a ride in yours at some point...just to see the difference...;) :D

What power are you putting out Jon??

However if i stick with twins but dont go with hybrids, maybe twin GT35R or Twin Garetts, what sort of power can i expect there??

How much are you selling your HKS Ti exhaust for mate??

I looked into aftermarket twins and its very expensive and IMO not worth it.

I am putting out 515 rwhp (however that is a similar to thor figure so its more like 515fwhp in real terms. thats a T61 @ 1.45 bar.

I dont know really, i paid 600 for it new or as new (i cant remember which) i have now marked the bottom but its only 5000 miles. Make me an offer! :)

Would be more than happy to take you out any time and when you want to make a decision my offer will stand on a drive of my car.

Also, what ever you do, dont get a short shifter. They are terrible.

Have fun and feel free to call me to talk about choises. PM me and ill send you my number.

EDIT: do not purchase anything quickly(e.g above turbo's) as it will probably end up biting you in the arse.

Edited by Pig (see edit history)

Why, why why do you need more power? You've only just got the car and have hardly got it to a good bpu level yet. Quite why you think you need an extra 20hp to make every "okay" is beyond me.

To be honest Shane, you're all over the place here with your posts. I think you need to have a long sit down and think about what you want from the car. Don't just jump on the modification bandwagon for the sake of it.

Not trying to put a downer on it or anything, but you're a young lad who's just bought a high powered rwd car and are now talking about "needing" 450bhp. Get used to the car first, learn how to drive it safely, then learn how to drive it fast, then see if you need more power.

All above meant in your best interests mate, nothing personal ;)

No i totally understand Darryl, i just get bored quite easy and without sounding like a dick or anything, im just power hungry and i want a car which handles, looks as well as it goes.

I agree, i need to sit down and think about what i have got though. When you took me out in your supe Darryl, that felt amazing and thats the benchmark

i want to aim for until later on when i get bored and want to start tuning again lol...:D ;)

Edited by SilverSoop (see edit history)

I looked into aftermarket twins and its very expensive and IMO not worth it.

I am putting out 515 rwhp (however that is a similar to thor figure so its more like 515fwhp in real terms. thats a T61 @ 1.45 bar.

I dont know really, i paid 600 for it new or as new (i cant remember which) i have now marked the bottom but its only 5000 miles. Make me an offer! :)

Would be more than happy to take you out any time and when you want to make a decision my offer will stand on a drive of my car.

Also, what ever you do, dont get a short shifter. They are terrible.

Have fun and feel free to call me to talk about choises. PM me and ill send you my number.

EDIT: do not purchase anything quickly(e.g above turbo's) as it will probably end up biting you in the arse.

Ok Jon thanks mate i appreciate that and would love a ride in you supe for a comparison...

As for your exhaust, i am interested and i'll give you a pm mate...:)

No i totally understand Darryl, i just get bored quite easy and without sounding like a dick or anything, im just power hungry and i want a car which handles, looks as well as it goes. I agree, i need to sit down and think about what i have got though. When you took me out in your supe Darryl, that felt amazing and thats the benchmark i want to aim for until later on when i get bored and want to start tuning again lol...:D ;)

I was just about to add a Jerry Springer style Final Thought about that... :D

You remember when I took you for a drive in mine which was pushing the stock turbo's to the limit, that was pretty darn quick yes? Do you, at this early stage in your TT ownership think that it wasn't quick enough? You're still a young chap and are new to these levels of power, so I really think you'd be best spending this summer learning how to drive the car safely, then if by the end of it you feel it's too slow, start thinking about taking the next step (be it hybrids or single) next year.

I was just about to add a Jerry Springer style Final Thought about that... :D

You remember when I took you for a drive in mine which was pushing the stock turbo's to the limit, that was pretty darn quick yes? Do you, at this early stage in your TT ownership think that it wasn't quick enough? You're still a young chap and are new to these levels of power, so I really think you'd be best spending this summer learning how to drive the car safely, then if by the end of it you feel it's too slow, start thinking about taking the next step (be it hybrids or single) next year.

Lol...:D ;)

Yeh i agree Darryl, its probably the most wise thing for me to do atm. When i went for a ride in your supe, what mods did you have?? Was it just BPU or was it more than that?? :D

I still would like to be passenger in other member's supe's though so i know exactly which setup to go with...:D

Lol...:D ;)

Yeh i agree Darryl, its probably the most wise thing for me to do atm. When i went for a ride in your supe, what mods did you have?? Was it just BPU or was it more than that?? :D

I still would like to be passenger in other member's supe's though so i know exactly which setup to go with...:D

It was just basic BPU with the mods mentioned in the bpu guide. IIRC it was about 1.15 bar when I took you out (and had many more miles on the engine than your car has ;) )

But yes, get a drive in as many supra's as you can to get a feel for the power delivery, noise, etc (don't forget to ask them how much they've spent ;). Then see what you like. My old car should be at the Reading meet this month so I'm sure Darren will take you out in it if you ask nicely :)

Chasing the pack and also chasing BHP is a very expensive hobby and does not always give you the car of your dreams, I know from bitter experience with Supras, Skylines and too many other 'cool' cars I have 'had' to own in the past (and present:D)

You would be very wise to take you car to BPU and set it up with a CW suspension package and just enjoy it for this season and then make up you mind with a little bit more experience and knowledge as to where you go next or if you go anywhere at all

The sort of sums of money some members have spent is amazing and that money will in most cases not be coming back with a sale, I would have a bigger house if it was not for cars and that is a fact ! :)

You are welcome to have a ride in my car when its finished though and Mark at Phoenix will look after your car thats for sure

Chasing the pack and also chasing BHP is a very expensive hobby and does not always give you the car of your dreams, I know from bitter experience with Supras, Skylines and too many other 'cool' cars I have 'had' to own in the past (and present:D)

You would be very wise to take you car to BPU and set it up with a CW suspension package and just enjoy it for this season and then make up you mind with a little bit more experience and knowledge as to where you go next or if you go anywhere at all

The sort of sums of money some members have spent is amazing and that money will in most cases not be coming back with a sale, I would have a bigger house if it was not for cars and that is a fact ! :)

You are welcome to have a ride in my car when its finished though and Mark at Phoenix will look after your car thats for sure

Sounds like a good idea. But thanks tooquicktostop, i would love a ride in your supe when you get her back...:)

It was just basic BPU with the mods mentioned in the bpu guide. IIRC it was about 1.15 bar when I took you out (and had many more miles on the engine than your car has ;) )

But yes, get a drive in as many supra's as you can to get a feel for the power delivery, noise, etc (don't forget to ask them how much they've spent ;). Then see what you like. My old car should be at the Reading meet this month so I'm sure Darren will take you out in it if you ask nicely :)

Yeh ok Darryl i will do that and get used to the my supe until i get bored...that is...;) :D

I'll ask darren and i'll hope for the best that he'll let me ride passenger in your old supe...:D

Edit: I think what i am going to do is, tune her to BPU (as im almost there already) and get CW suspension and go from there.

For the moment. :D

Edited by SilverSoop (see edit history)

To be honest there's not much that can keep up with BPU supra's unless you're getting into serious dosh, I scare myself sometimes with the power it can deliver. There's no need for me to push it further.

Try not to get caught up with the guys on here, yes there's ways of getting masses of power out of these cars, but isn't 400BHP ish enough? Especially as you've only just transitioned from an NA. If it's bragging rights you're after then good luck to you, but I can find cheaper ways to be able to brag about things.

You've got a nice supe there, spend the summer months getting used to the power, just go BPU and you may find it's enough for you.

For context and1c had my old engine (100k+ miles on it) and it actually turned out to be in good nick (apart from some damage caused by the blown turbos). So as long as you look after them properly there's no issue with mileage.

From your posts it just seems you're after trying to keep up with people. Don't bother with the hassle, as mentioned if you want to do that route, buy someone's who's already done it, had the hassles, and lost the money;)

Slow down fella:)

Edit: I think what i am going to do is, tune her to BPU (as im almost there already) and get CW suspension and go from there.

For the moment. :D

Good idea, dont forget to get some better brake pads.

Talking of big twins, what happened to Christians car that TDI did the big none sequential twin HKS turbo conversion on? That was a car, given a proper ecu and mapping, would have been very nice. I recall it having a lot of lag though. (As well as setting fire to his AP brakes at some airfield track day, when he asked me to drive it, years ago, much to his chagrin :)) His wife used to drive it, too, in fact I think officially it was "her" car.

topsecret.jpg

topsecret2.jpg

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

They don't post on here much anymore...but I haven't heard of them selling up.

They really got her sorted in 2005/6 and started to really produce the goods in straight line testing - removed a lot of the lag (bad map)...haven't seen them at a meet since the last TOTB they ran at.

I know they had to do some engine work a while back....

I wouldnt bother with Big twins unless you wanted a straightline drag monster and your looking at 20k plus for a proper setup,

Big Twin turbos lose the response as you have 3 exhaust runners going to each turbo, instead of 6going to the one.

Stick with a modern GT garrett, ball bearing or similar or you will not have anything like the car you drive just now.

You've got a couple of things to think about...driving a car with 500+ hp may actually scare you, you will not be able to take it to its limits on the road, other than on the motorway, and it wont be as fun until you overcome the fear factor of trying to tame the power. You'll find out soon enough, after your test drives:eyebrows:

If you've only just got a bpu car then forget it, you need to learn how to drive that in various conditions(Maybe drifting, wet, skidpans, track??) before driving a single, otherwise theres no point in all the power, you just wont know how to use it and it may actually become boring:innocent:

To be honest there's not much that can keep up with BPU supra's unless you're getting into serious dosh, I scare myself sometimes with the power it can deliver. There's no need for me to push it further.

Try not to get caught up with the guys on here, yes there's ways of getting masses of power out of these cars, but isn't 400BHP ish enough? Especially as you've only just transitioned from an NA. If it's bragging rights you're after then good luck to you, but I can find cheaper ways to be able to brag about things.

You've got a nice supe there, spend the summer months getting used to the power, just go BPU and you may find it's enough for you.

For context and1c had my old engine (100k+ miles on it) and it actually turned out to be in good nick (apart from some damage caused by the blown turbos). So as long as you look after them properly there's no issue with mileage.

From your posts it just seems you're after trying to keep up with people. Don't bother with the hassle, as mentioned if you want to do that route, buy someone's who's already done it, had the hassles, and lost the money;)

Slow down fella:)

Yeh ok cheers for the heads up Razza, i appreciate that...:)

Like you say, im going to get the suspension and some decent brake pads and get used to her. If i decide i want more power (for example)

im going to go for it...:D ;)

I wouldnt bother with Big twins unless you wanted a straightline drag monster and your looking at 20k plus for a proper setup,

Big Twin turbos lose the response as you have 3 exhaust runners going to each turbo, instead of 6going to the one.

Stick with a modern GT garrett, ball bearing or similar or you will not have anything like the car you drive just now.

You've got a couple of things to think about...driving a car with 500+ hp may actually scare you, you will not be able to take it to its limits on the road, other than on the motorway, and it wont be as fun until you overcome the fear factor of trying to tame the power. You'll find out soon enough, after your test drives:eyebrows:

If you've only just got a bpu car then forget it, you need to learn how to drive that in various conditions(Maybe drifting, wet, skidpans, track??) before driving a single, otherwise theres no point in all the power, you just wont know how to use it and it may actually become boring:innocent:

Exactly bolarbag that's what i was thinking...

I want to get used to the power properly in my BPU supra first and then go from there. If i can get to drive or ride passenger in single turbo Supra's or

uprated TT supra's, i'll then know exactly what type of setup, which mods i want for my Supe...:D

Charlie has just shocked me something stupid:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vixpy1/images/335I.GIF

That's a 335i with a Emanage style signal fudger upping the boost to 1.1bar with fueling to suit.

I for one am gobsmacked at that torque curve. Utter disbelief.