The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Are there advantages of having UK turbos?

Jim_1979

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He drinks meths? I thought meths drinkers were a dying breed? ;)

:lol:

I think he might possibly be injecting it pre turbo.

No I think Chris is right.

Something doesn't add up here but then I've never been very good at meths.

This thread is just getting more and more complicated to us none turbo minded people (me)

Technical discussions concerning turbo's will always get complicated, simply because it's a complicated :D

There is far more to it than what has already been mentioned but I fully agree with what Nic and Wez have posted.

UK and Jspec have roughly the same capabilities in terms of outright power, hybrids allow a little more due to the slightly large size turbine and compressor.

Fuelling and additional injection (meths) is the only way to get more power from either jspec or UK turbo's. Either way it's seriously diminishing gains.

The UK's won't explode through your engine unlike the ceramic JSpec's, therefore you are probably able to push slightly higher boost through them without worrying too much about the impending bang;)

I'm the same as you, now got UK's on it, it feels a lot stronger but to be fair that may be down to the fact ToyotaGT have re-wired the boost controller correctly, whereas before I don't think no.1 was working as effective as it should of.

If I'm going to keep the car I would then upgrade the cams, probably get a set of UK ones as cheaper than HKS, then the injectors, and a bit of mapping. But I don't think that's going to happen now.

The UK's won't explode through your engine unlike the ceramic JSpec's, therefore you are probably able to push slightly higher boost through them without worrying too much about the impending bang
At stock boost both types are very reliable. At raised boost levels the steel bladed UK turbos are at least as likely to fail (although not as dramatically) as the j-spec ones.

The UK's won't explode through your engine unlike the ceramic JSpec's.

Thats very misleading, as the J spec ceramic part is just the exhaust turbine, and if it fails and falls apart, the worst that can happen is that it will be blown out of the exhaust, unless the metal inducer brakes and enters the intake, which i might add is pretty unlikely as you have an intercooler and a long length of pipework for the bits to traverse.

Thats very misleading, as the J spec ceramic part is just the exhaust turbine, and if it fails and falls apart, the worst that can happen is that it will be blown out of the exhaust, unless the metal inducer brakes and enters the intake, which i might add is pretty unlikely as you have an intercooler and a long length of pipework for the bits to traverse.

It is pretty rare, but one of mine found it's way into my old engine and it wasn't pretty :cry: This could happen equally on UK or J-spec turbos.

Yeah 9.9 times out of ten I think thats usually what happens, well that what happened with my two sets of stocks and everyone elses that I know that have let go over the years.....;)

I have hybrids with 550cc injectors and an emanage, running at 1.4 bar no probs. (ask Ian C ;))

And you're on Hybrids, I remember we got ours done partically at the same time......

And yours have been ok, but would you run a set of stockers at that permantly, and how long would they last....;)

Yeah 9.9 times out of ten I think thats usually what happens, well that what happened with my two sets of stocks and everyone elses that I know that have let go over the years.....;)

Yeah! i think maybe Nic was just very unlucky, for a piece of turbine to get through an intercooler it would have to be pretty small.

And you're on Hybrids, I remember we got ours done partically at the same time......

And yours have been ok, but would you run a set of stockers at that permantly, and how long would they last....;)

stockers - no way. cant see them lasting "that" long!

Nic... why don't you just give in and tell all them Lardy UK Spec owners on here what they really want to hear...

UK Spec's RULE, they have more POWER, go FASTER, their turbo's are TWICE as BIG as titchy Jap ones and they are better looking as well :Pling:

(as long as you saw the ugly light washers off) :rlol:

other than they above they are both the same :)

G :D

Yeah! i think maybe Nic was just very unlucky, for a piece of turbine to get through an intercooler it would have to be pretty small.

I'm afraid this happened to me:(, so it does happen, bits of debris entered my engine and damaged the valves (only diagnosed after full strip down), a full rebuild was needed to ensure damage wasn't even worse, which and1c is currently doing for his next project. I didn't have the luxury of knowing about engines and couldn't do the work myself. I couldn't afford to pay to have it stripped down to find it was knackered or need even more work. Hence I went down the route of getting a new engine and UK's were available at the time to put on it. We all know what hassle that's been, worth it in the end though:)

This was running BPU though (although was incorrectly wired up), so stock should be fine. When querying Chris Wilson about the different turbos I could stick back on he did mention though that the JSpec units were better, but didn't get any further details on why:search:

I consider them better as they flow more air in the normal operating RPM bands, and spool a LOT faster. In my experience they are far less likely to age prematurely and smoke, compared to stock UK turbos, due to better dynamic balance and this opinion is shred by Turbo Dynamics and Turbo Technics. I dislike hybrids because increasing compressor air flow has to be balanced by the ability of cams and manifolding and turbine side to vent the now greater waste gasses efficiently. The stock turbine side can't flow enough to balance things, and are all but impossible to improve upon, hence the engine can't exhale properly and EGT's soar.

The usual hybrids argument aside, I believe it is possible to get exhaust wheel debris from an exploded ceramic turbo sucked back into the engine due to back pressure and the act of reversion when both intake and exhaust valves are open at once and the piston is going down on the intake stroke.

-Ian

Interesting, but i would have thought to generate enough reversion pulse to get a big enough piece back through the turbo,manifold and the exhaust tract, is an extreme long shot, a friend dumped his RB26 exhaust turbine straight out of the exhaust with no damage to the engine, head off to check, not heard of it before?

just interested, no arguing.

At stock boost both types are very reliable. At raised boost levels the steel bladed UK turbos are at least as likely to fail (although not as dramatically) as the j-spec ones.

This sums it up really.:)

I had plans to push the stock turbos beyond the limits, so I went for UKSpec from the start.

They still haven't failed, despite the blatant abuse - JSpec units would have exploded long ago, their ceramic wheels come unstuck if they spin too fast.

There is a slight advantage flow-wise, but it's neither here nor there. Definately not worth swapping a JSpec, each has pros and cons (JSpec has smaller A/R ratio and less mass, so spools quicker)

My setup provides a fine mist of water/methanol before the compressors, effectively shifting the compressor map while on boost. So power doesn't tail off after 1.2bar as is normal, but after 1.6bar.

It drinks alcohol like a sailor though, it's no free lunch.

If I were to buy a Supra now, it would be a late VVTi JSpec:d