The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Losing everything through excessive speed

Stevie72

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is this guy? Is he from the Road Highways Safety Agency or something? Is he a Jehovah Witness? Go away. We are more than aware of the speeds Supra's and most performance cars can achieve thank you.

A more stark reminder than your 'watch your speed lads' post is the top stickied post 'Donations for Darren Reay' in off-topic. He wasn't speeding but lost his life - that'll grab our attention more than your regurgatated pigeon shite thanks.

Sorry but chump springs to mind. Its well proven on European roads that in fact high speed does not indeed invite instant death. Richard edwards that sit in whichever lane they feel morally obliged to sit in because their self righteous nature believes they should slow people down for their own good cause tail backs and accidents. Bufoons that will sit all pious about a couple of mph over 70 on the motorway that then happily drive past schools at 30 (cos thats allowed) whilst changing cd's, eating their sandwiches or general other distractive pre-occupations kill children. In my experience its exactly the sort of person that throws up lectures like this one that are the sort that actually get involved in accidents such as described. Most here (ok we now have a few less mature drivers than years ago) are grown up and sensible drivers. I'll put it to you this way chap if going over 130 mph is cruising for a bruising I should be well and truly black blue and rotted by now.

If you wanna lecture try starting with there is a time and a place for every style of driving and maybe try and give some pointers as to what style of driving is appropriate at what time.

The facts are that speeding is a cause in only around 5-10% of accidents. That's according to all the independent research done on the matter. Far more common causes are driving too close to the car in front and failing to pay attention. Which if you manage to be undertaken is exactly what you are doing. There is only one driving lane on any motorway or dual carriageway. The others are for overtaking only. If you are not overtaking and therefore moving faster than the lanes to the left of you then you should not be there. Simple.

If everyone paid attention to what they were doing, the road conditions and their own condition and that of their car instead of blindly following the speed limit and thinking "oh, I must be safe, I'm doing the speed limit" the roads would be far safer. That's a simple fact.

If you are undertaken then you are in the wrong lane, end of story.

:yeahthat:

My drive to work in the morning consists of several junctions drive down the motorway, and near enough every morning people decide they are going to cruise at 60 in the 'slow' lane and 70 in the outside lane.

The amount of people that don't know how to drive on a motorway is shocking!

Oh and lol at this thread... I drive fast where I believe it is safe to, but I get more fun by short bursts of acceleration really.

I also believe that the speed restrictions in this country are ridiculous. I live down a very narrow country road which is full of pot holes and it is national speed limit. You would not believe the amount of idiots that come down here at that speed, and why not. If they caused an accident they were doing nothing wrong!

Most of the 30 limits are ludicrous too, although I believe outside schools should be 20 max!

A more stark reminder than your 'watch your speed lads' post is the top stickied post 'Donations for Darren Reay' in off-topic. He wasn't speeding but lost his life - that'll grab our attention more than your regurgatated pigeon shite thanks.

Did the Police actually find out what was reponsible for them losing control and having this accident, did they say that car wasn't speeding?

LOL try driving in Holland from the instant you enter most villages small towns to the moment you leave its a 30 kmph blanket limit mate. Makes me laugh that people are up in arms about reducing some limits past schools etc to 15 mph. But like said before its not speed that kills but inappropriate speed and inattentive driving that causes accidents.

The facts are that speeding is a cause in only around 5-10% of accidents.

I'm not sure about fatalities though.

I do a lot of driving on country roads and I see flowers attached to trees where more often than not young people were killed, the roads are vary rarely dangerous and I can only conclude that they've been going too fast.

Steve made some good points, especially this one.

how easy it is to drive with a sense of invinceability on the road and forget the speeds at which a Supra can achieve.

I live on what is often an empty country road. It's dead straight for about a mile and a half. It's been the demise of a motorcyclist and the near demise of a car driver, plus the demise of dogs, wandering fowl and countless foxes in recent years. Hit a badger at 130 and it'll be like small plane crash. Hit a tree and it'll be almost certainly fatal (for you, the tree will probably shrug it off without flinching). If you have an insatiable appetite to speed a quiet motorway is probably safest from the possibility of an accident point of view, if not the likelihood of getting caught point of view. A track day is the best way to sate your appetite, IMHO.

I once saw a sixteen year old lad get hit by the car in front of me doing 35-40mph. I held his hand for 25 minutes waiting for the ambulance to arrive while he screamed for his mum. I fully admit that up until that point I drove like a tit down some very dangerous roads and although it still makes my hair stand on end to drive down a country road as fast as my so called "skill" will allow me, I'm only too aware of how much I would wish to be on a well organised track day if anything happened to me or (God forbid) an spectator / passenger.

The facts are that speeding is a cause in only around 5-10% of accidents. That's according to all the independent research done on the matter. Far more common causes are driving too close to the car in front and failing to pay attention. Which if you manage to be undertaken is exactly what you are doing. There is only one driving lane on any motorway or dual carriageway. The others are for overtaking only. If you are not overtaking and therefore moving faster than the lanes to the left of you then you should not be there. Simple.

If everyone paid attention to what they were doing, the road conditions and their own condition and that of their car instead of blindly following the speed limit and thinking "oh, I must be safe, I'm doing the speed limit" the roads would be far safer. That's a simple fact.

Good post. I can't speak for anyone else but when driving at speed I am totally aware that I am going fast and totally focused on what I am doing. I wish the same could be said for the numpties sat with one hand on the steering wheel cruising at 90mph in the outside lane, or the plague of middle lane drivers, bumbling along without a care in the world, lost in their day dreams.

funny enough theres a way out, my brother recently had an laser unit fitted on the rear and front off his car top stuff. He was speeding the other day and the laser in the car from a very long distance went off so he slowed right down. Anyways the officer pulled him over and said he heard him coming and had the gun ready but for some reason he asked my brother why did you slow down did you see us, to which my brother replied no i didnt see you lol:d he was let off

Is there a point to this thread or has Steve just come here to preach the Highway Code at everyone?

If he is then he hasn't read it.

Putting the points made about speeding aside anyone who thinks that it doesn't matter which lane they drive in if they are at the speed limit anyway is not as knowledgeable a driver as they think they are.

:rtfm:

Your first post Steve did have one very accurate comment which I fully support,

You do sound like a preacher!

As for the staying in the middle lane as you are doing the speed limit????? You are clearly a driver whose mentality causes accidents yet still feel you can preach the rights and wrongs of driving.

If we both got caught for speeding on the same stretch of road by the same policeman you would be the one that came out with all the points and the ban because you would be telling the policeman the best way to hold his speed gun to get the most accurate results.

Patronising is an understatement I am suprised you can reach the keyboard from your pulpit!

If you are doing the speed limit, then why pull over?!

Because the Highway code says keep left unless overtaking - you will be causing congestion for vehicles who wish to travel quicker (which is not your place to prevent) due to them deciding they wish to speed, that their speedo is more accurate, or that they are an emergency service vehicle on a response call.

It's this kind of attitude which makes my daily trip along the M4 sooo much more difficult than it needs to be...