The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Losing everything through excessive speed

Stevie72

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speeding is not the cause of accidents, it is the inappropriate use of it that causes the accidents.

A motorway at 3 am in the height of summer doing 120 + (an example not what i have done)is not a dangerous place and that speed is perfectly safe in my mind.

However when the rain starts tumbling that sort of speed is dangerous, i see it all the time that people don't regulate their speed when the weather takes a turn for the worse.

Other cases of death by excess speed are down to people misjudging the corner and understeering off in to a large immovable object aka a tree.

You could make every car stick to the speed limits, people will still find ways of killing themselves through stupidity or another persons stupidity.

Most drivers on the forum are respoosible and safe drivers and know when the speed is appropriate and when it isn't.

OMG I can't believe I didn't reply to this in anger earlier!!!

People who just follow the rules blindly are the ones that cause accidents, I've done extensive research myself and pissed lots of people off by following the highway code to the letter!! It's dangerous!!!!

I don't pay attention to speed limits, I drive at the speed I feel is suitable for the road, quite often in built up streets like in Portsmouth where the gap between rows of parked cars is just enough for 2 cars to get through, I'll only do 20 or less (30 limit), because the thought of some kid jumping out is always on my mind. On motorways I often drive faster than 70, again depending on the conditions (traffic, road shape and borders, how well I know the stretch etc.).

This also includes when Police cars are behind me or nearby, I don't become a saint, I drive in the same way, sometimes at up to 40mph in 30 limits, and I've never been stopped *touches wood*, because most Police drivers can tell the difference between being an idiot and driving sensibly.

Speeding is not the cause of accidents, it is the inappropriate use of it that causes the accidents.

A motorway at 3 am in the height of summer doing 120 + (an example not what i have done)is not a dangerous place and that speed is perfectly safe in my mind.

However when the rain starts tumbling that sort of speed is dangerous, i see it all the time that people don't regulate their speed when the weather takes a turn for the worse.

Other cases of death by excess speed are down to people misjudging the corner and understeering off in to a large immovable object aka a tree.

You could make every car stick to the speed limits, people will still find ways of killing themselves through stupidity or another persons stupidity.

Most drivers on the forum are respoosible and safe drivers and know when the speed is appropriate and when it isn't.

Have to agree with col. I think most accidents are due to driving without due care and attention, and inappropiate speeds (that includes not driving to your abilities).

Undertaking here is completely legal, although because drivers expect it then they use both mirrors so it is no more dangerous than overtaking.

Speeds here are generally slower than in the UK and drivers more cautious, so easy to pick your way through the traffic if it's not too busy.

It's always fun when I come back to the UK and drive again, it takes a while to revert back to UK rules :innocent:

Who is this guy? Is he from the Road Highways Safety Agency or something? Is he a Jehovah Witness? Go away. We are more than aware of the speeds Supra's and most performance cars can achieve thank you.

A more stark reminder than your 'watch your speed lads' post is the top stickied post 'Donations for Darren Reay' in off-topic. He wasn't speeding but lost his life - that'll grab our attention more than your regurgatated pigeon shite thanks.

Take it or leave it, do what you want, just don't cry to mummy when it all goes tits up.

The post was just a general obsversation and not a preaching lesson - you don't have to be so disprectful? Are you that unhappy in your life!

Sorry but chump springs to mind. Its well proven on European roads that in fact high speed does not indeed invite instant death. Richard edwards that sit in whichever lane they feel morally obliged to sit in because their self righteous nature believes they should slow people down for their own good cause tail backs and accidents. Bufoons that will sit all pious about a couple of mph over 70 on the motorway that then happily drive past schools at 30 (cos thats allowed) whilst changing cd's, eating their sandwiches or general other distractive pre-occupations kill children. In my experience its exactly the sort of person that throws up lectures like this one that are the sort that actually get involved in accidents such as described. Most here (ok we now have a few less mature drivers than years ago) are grown up and sensible drivers. I'll put it to you this way chap if going over 130 mph is cruising for a bruising I should be well and truly black blue and rotted by now.

If you wanna lecture try starting with there is a time and a place for every style of driving and maybe try and give some pointers as to what style of driving is appropriate at what time.

Your name says it all, and admitting you drive at 130mph !!!

Bottom line is I NEVER SAID I HOG THE OUTSIDE LANE.

I was saying that people undertake illegally!!! You telling me that some idiot has never tried to cut you up on the inside lane for no reason!! Of course they have - plank

Is there a point to this thread or has Steve just come here to preach the Highway Code at everyone?

Probably just stating the obvious, but also trying to perhaps start a reasoned debate - most people have made reasoned comments, the end of the day if you speed and you Kill someone, then tell the parents/Wives ect that you thought it was safe!

Not preaching, just a moment of clarity when i saw the police - TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT, TO BE HONEST I COULDN'T GIVE A F F

I

No but you have made out you will happily sit in the middle lane if you are doing the speed limit regardless of wether you are overtaking cars on the inside lane or not.

This is not a good driving practice and is very much more likely to lead to an accident by aggravating other drivers.

No but you have made out you will happily sit in the middle lane if you are doing the speed limit regardless of wether you are overtaking cars on the inside lane or not.

This is not a good driving practice and is very much more likely to lead to an accident by aggravating other drivers.

I don;t believe I did, what i did say is that people undertake, even when you are doing the speed limit ( I did not say i deliberately stay in the outside lane!) So if you are in the outside lane doing 90mph and someone feels the need to undertake you at 120mph then that is safe is it, because i was in the outside lane?!

Problem is, too many people have taken offence by something i felt i needed to share!

Jeez, i don't expect everyone to agree and for us to all hands, but some people on here have got a serious chip on their shoulders!

Cheerio!

Steve

The essence of your intial post is good and i agree with your points on speeding and what it can lead to.

Dont get too offended at how some(me included hence my last post) can mis-interpret what you have said. Sometimes we just need to re-read what we have put to see how it might have been misread by others.;)

Its an online forum and you can see by the amount of replies to your thread, speed is something we all have opinions on.

:)

Even if you're doing 90 in the outside lane, and then someone comes up the inside at 120, you're still lane hogging... you're not in the left most lane - which is where you should be.

I just flash and gesticulate to a lot of people. My mate has laminated print outs to hold out!

I have a confession preacher Steve:

I admit that I undertake regularly when leaving roundabouts on duals and getting stuck behind some pr*ck who decides to stay in the outside lane because

a) he's going to overtake a car in about a mile or so or

b) he'll be turning right in an hour or

c) because he will be reaching the speed limit soon and makes a decision that I have no right to overtake.

Initally I wait to assess his driving habits as you can clearly tell when they belong to one of the above. I used to flash and get all agitated, but now I undertake, in a flash, though always fully aware that he may even try to block me or pull in without using mirrors.

I've never got close to having a 'moment' when this happens and to be honest, these people just aren't worth the battey juice to flash or any further consideration.

What they clearly lack is a respect for anyone with a faster car than them. So they get it back :eyebrows:

Valid Question:

Why would they undertake you? Should you not be driving in the most left handed lane anyway? Or are you saying you're one of those middle lane drivers that forgets to pull over?

Your response:

If you are doing the speed limit, then why pull over?!

If you want to start a debate then don't be surprised if people ask questions, or make observations. You made a comment that indicated you hog the overtaking lanes if you're going at 'the speed limit', not '90', or '120'.

Don't then throw your teddies out of your pram just because some people made that point more openly than others - just answer the questions asked and move on. Instead we get a more abusive tone and insults:

No you weren't that specific, but hogging either lane is wrong and you still haven't said you won't remain in these lanes if you're doing the speed limit.

I was saying that people undertake illegally!!! You telling me that some idiot has never tried to cut you up on the inside lane for no reason!! Of course they have - plank

Yes they have and if you'd made that point initially, rather than starting to get insulting then this would've moved on.

For some reason in this country people think you're some kind of nutter if you flash them on a motorway. It's not like that at all on the continent - if you come up behind someone you flash to let them know you are there and want to pass.

For some reason in this country people think you're some kind of nutter if you flash them on a motorway. It's not like that at all on the continent - if you come up behind someone you flash to let them know you are there and want to pass.

Same as using the horn if you don't think you're visible to other motorists in a given situation. It's there for awareness, not to antagonise people.