The mkiv Supra Owners Club

mkivsupra.net snowboard & ski trip 2008/9

Ian W

Which of these three dates are we going away?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these three dates are we going away?

• Sat 10th - Sat 17th January 2009
    • Sat 17th - Sat 24th January 2009
    • Sat 24th - Sat 31st January 2009

That price looks pretty good Ian.

I'm up for a road trip, would be a good laugh.

Gotta admit I failed miserably at trying to get to the travel agent today during my lunch break, sorry guys :(

EDIT: link doesn't work

Edited by 2JG
broken link (see edit history)

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stuff like this...

http://www.inghams.co.uk/earlybird/AV_AccommodationInfo.aspx?country_code=FRA&resort_code=VTH&Accommodation_Code=5162&Start_Date=17/01/2009%2000:00:00&Departure_Points=LTN,STN,LHR,LGW&Travel_Type=1&Arrival_Points=null&Duration=7&Price_Range=0&Accommodation_Type=H,S,C,&Adults=7&Children=0&brochure_code=I&ddResort=null&searchDate=2009-1-17&searchDateRange=0

I stayed in that hovel hotel last season and the ski-in/ski-out was fantastic, but it was literally the bare essentials. Bathroom, living room with kitchenette, bedroom or 2 depending on how many it's supposed to accommodate.

Anyway, this is what I found:

Week in Temples Du Soleil Apartments on a SC basis, flying from Manchester on 17th Jan and returning on 24th Jan.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like the place has the best reviews but being a 2*+ it's always going to be basic.

So guys, comments on price / location etc?

Ian

If you check the link in my post above, that's the place I stayed in last season. Very basic indeed! The apartment was apparently 5 person accommodation, but we found it pretty cosy with just the four of us. Two of the 5 beds were simply the sofas in the living room, just thought I'd let you guys know ;)

It is ski-in/ski-out though, so 5 mins after breakfast you're already making fresh tracks, and you can pop home for lunch to save carrying baguettes around the slopes all morning :)

We also went with Neilson that year and our rep was a crazy Belgian dude with dreads who kept telling us about the "super massive dump" they'd had the week before we got there. Call us childish, but that had us in stitches for weeks after we got home :D

We can get a 'large family' car through http://www.travelsupermarket.com/carhire £175 for the Friday at noon 'til the following Sunday at noon. Last time I ordered one of them I got a Mondeo Estate TDCI Titanium X which was a pleasure to drive with all the toys etc. and bags of room - I think anything in that size class would do us though especially if it's gonna be 4 per car max. If there's between 6 and 8 of us then that's 3 or 4 per car so £44 or £58 each respectively cost wise for the cars.

How many of us have our own ski/snowboard kit? This year 3 of us were in my mates Volvo V70 estate with all the kit for 2 people, and the car was nearly full and the split rear seat half folded down. 4 people would fit, but how comfortable it'd be if driving >1000 miles, I'm not sure!

Having re-read what I've just typed, apologies for the apparently negative post, just trying to be realistic. The roadtrip idea is a damn good one though, but I'm grateful that no-one's suggested taking the supes as that would triple the price of the holiday straight away :D

We can get a big MPV for £100 tops more - not much when divided up. Really need to see how many folk are definitely going and get the class of car on that basis.

RE: the accomodation, I liked the look of the montana val thorens link and am quite willing to pay more to get nicer accomodation rather than a hostel special.

Well if we’re going to be travelling by car then that just leaves accommodation and I think I’ve found a chalet that might suit our needs.

If I’m reading the booking form correctly then their price is per chalet per week and is Self Catering. Here is their Website

Chalet des Neiges Hermine

6-8 people is €1,540 (approx. £1,069)

8-10 people is €1,950 (approx. £1,354)

So for 6 people that's £178.24 each

8 people it's £117.53 each

Chalet des Neiges Plein Sud

6 people is €1,645 (approx. £1,142) - £190.39 each

8 people is €2,085 (approx. £1,447) - £180.99 each

They charge €79 (approx. £54) per car for a parking space for the week.

At the moment they do have availability for either chalet from 17th – 24th Jan.

I think if we’re looking for a catered chalet then that’s going to push the price of the holiday up quite a bit.

What do you guys think?

Ian will get in touch with you to see what I can do. As per your text yes I could get all 8 of us discount. Just need to give me details of requirements will get back with a price

Right mate, in that case and going on the fact Brian wants somewhere a bit more upmarket I'll get the girl at the travel agents to look out somewhere better than the one I mentioned.

That was in Thomas Cook so along with your discount it may still work out at a decent price.

The road trip to me sounds like a good idea in theory but I can see it working out no cheaper and a bit of a hassle in the long run.

That said, I still wouldn't mind doing some driving :cool:

Right mate, in that case and going on the fact Brian wants somewhere a bit more upmarket I'll get the girl at the travel agents to look out somewhere better than the one I mentioned.

That was in Thomas Cook so along with your discount it may still work out at a decent price.

The road trip to me sounds like a good idea in theory but I can see it working out no cheaper and a bit of a hassle in the long run.

That said, I still wouldn't mind doing some driving :cool:

Cool the lass I know works for Thomas Cook :D

Cool the lass I know works for Thomas Cook :D

Nice one.

I know there's a couple of 3* there and also a 4* SC so may well get prices for those then you can check out any possible discounts :cool:

Will let you know the details once I have them mate.

EDIT: Will pop into Braehead tomorrow and get some more prices. Will be back on here to update on Tuesday as I'll be at the other half's until then.

Edited by Ian W (see edit history)

Having had a look over the website for the chalet's that Jeff has found, I'd say they fit the bill quite nicely - our own private apartments that will provide us with a proper bed each, not too far from the pistes, not too expensive and they appear to be not too skanky!

Self catering shouldn't be a problem I wouldn't have thought, whether in one huge apartment for everyone or if we take two smaller ones.

As Ian says, driving may end up being no cheaper than flying, but it'll certainly add to the holiday, so I'm up for it :cool:

For reference, my mates and I paid about £180 for a 3 Valley Pass last season (March 07) and we all said that VT was so good we'd probably only get a VT pass if we returned. I'm sure you can buy a 1-day 3 valley pass if we felt the urge to venture further afield.

OK so different part of the alps then?

Just confusing myself as I had a 3 valleys pass at Tignes which let me venture into Val d'isere etc.

Yeah, different three valleys I think Brian.

Just for info, as well as me getting details for Ian R to check prices on for discounts etc...he'll also be looking into discounted car hire too ;)

End of the month is ok with me guys. It's only money at the end of the day :D

Does the 3 valleys pass get us into the Tignes area?

OK so different part of the alps then?

Just confusing myself as I had a 3 valleys pass at Tignes which let me venture into Val d'isere etc.

As Ian says, they're different areas.

Val d'Isere and Tignes are the resorts that make up The Espace Killy.

Courchevel, Meribel and VT make up The Three Valleys.

Both are huge resorts when combined with one another, although I'd say that the Espace Killy was more "skiable", from one resort over to another, than the 3 Valleys, simply because it's more compact - the 3 valleys are absolutely miles apart!

End of what month? End of June payment suits me better as I'm sorting out a new house this month...

Mind you it shouldn't be much payment required now as it would just be the chalets???

Anyway, this is what I found:

Week in Temples Du Soleil Apartments on a SC basis, flying from Manchester on 17th Jan and returning on 24th Jan.

The price works out at £449 per person based on 8 people travelling.

Guys

Had a text from Ian W yesterday, he popped back in to Thomas Cook yesterday to check some details and spoke to a different person.

Anyway turns out the prices he got given on Friday were incorrect, for a 3* we're looking at the above price PLUS the lift pass (£120).

This would take the price to £569 per person.

So looks like the road trip might be the cheaper option.

Is everyone happy to take the road trip option? If so can you please PM Ian W or myself with a contact number, your address and where you would like to be collected from on the way down from Scotland.

This will help us put a price together for the road trip option to figure out which option is more cost effective.

Thanks all

PS. Ian W will be back online on Tuesday night

Sorry I've not been much help this weekend guys!

Are we considering the chalets that you found then Jeff? PM on it's way regarding potential pickups for a roadtrip, as coming to collect me at my place will be going out of the way, unless we get a ferry from Portsmouth :)