The mkiv Supra Owners Club

mkivsupra.net snowboard & ski trip 2008/9

Ian W

Which of these three dates are we going away?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these three dates are we going away?

• Sat 10th - Sat 17th January 2009
    • Sat 17th - Sat 24th January 2009
    • Sat 24th - Sat 31st January 2009

Will it be worth us taking a good old Ordnance Survey map with us? They can't crash, throw wobblers, refuse to turn on, tell you to perform U-turns on motorways etc....

I think I'm going to go with Jeff on my car insurance, because as Ian's pointed out, he's already driving for 9+ hours in this country just to get to the tunnel!! Cost is £35.75, and I suggest we split that equally as we'll all be benefitting from it. I would add Ian as well, but I can only have 4 additional drivers on my policy, and Jeff will be the 4th. I'm sure Max, Jeff and I will cope with the drive - it's only about 700 miles, so less than 250 each, each way. Internet seems to think a grand total journey time of less than 12 hours, so if we're leaving Maxs at 4am, we should be in Val Thorens in time to have a chilled evening to recover from the road trip.

Max and I also bought a shed load of food for the trip at the weekend. We bought:

enough pasta to feed a small country (well, 3kg)

a few pasta sauces

some tinned tuna

a massive bag of rice

some stir fry sauces (think we did anyway!)

some cartons of apple / orange juices

12 toilet rolls

chocolate bars for on-piste energy (Tescos own fake mars bars, snickers, twixs)

jams, marmalade, marmite (I think...)

tins of chopped tomatoes

salt n pepper to go

I think that's it. We were going to buy some beers, but even with the exchange rate I'm sure a crate of little french stubbie beers won't break the bank too badly. If anyone would really like us to take some, I should be able to sort that on Thurs evening or Friday. Fresh bread and any meat we need we can buy out there.

Total spent on food: ~£45. Bargainous!

Also on the "to do" list this week is extending my AA cover to include European cover while we're away. I'm not anticipating any issues, but I'd rather be safe than sorry!

I think that's all for now!

Laters!

Edited by juanchan (see edit history)

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice one Rich, thanks for organising the food :thumbs:

I looked at a route planner on viamichelin.com a few weeks ago, and it gave about 3 different routes we could take and also any tolls we would come across, so I'll print that out as well if it helps? Don't have a European road atlas.

Right, car insurance for Jeff is now sorted.

AA breakdown cover for a single european trip is £35 - everyone happy to split that between us? If I was going for the annual cover I wouldn't ask.

Food I forgot on the previous list:

Margerine (I cant believe its not utterly butterly or something)

Long-life milk (couple of litres)

Has anyone got an ipod radio transmitter thing sorted or is everyone burning their collection to CDs? Just had a thought on mp3 CDs - I've not tried them actually!! I don't have any with me (or my car for that matter) so I wont be able to double check that one until Thursday evening sadly.

Shoop shoop shoop on Sunday, baby! Finally home and able to pack, so getting mildly excitable when I'm not stressing about "have I packed my driving license, is my passport in..." :D :nana:

Jeff - did you print out those routes? I'd print some but my I don't have a printer at home.

• 2 weeks later...

Did go quickly, I'll agree to that...however I'm not so sure my ass could take any more (ooh err missus....nothing to do with the boys I swear :D).

Looking forward to seeing the pics. Think I got one or two snaps that I'll try and get up tonight.

• 3 weeks later...
Oh the memories :D

Had a quick look when I was at work and it made me wish I was back out there :(

You and me both, dude :(

Some great shots there lads. :) Looks like you all had a great time too.

Always nice when a group of members get together have a really good time. :)

Had a great week, Andy. I'd say let's take the Supras next year, but after driving down the valley in all that snow, think I'll stick to sensible cars :D

I must learn to Ski/Board this year, looks great! :)

Do it, do it, do it! My one holiday away each year tends to be to the Alps. You can't beat the rush of carving through fresh powder with the sun on your back :cool: