The mkiv Supra Owners Club

mkivsupra.net snowboard & ski trip 2008/9

Ian W

Which of these three dates are we going away?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these three dates are we going away?

• Sat 10th - Sat 17th January 2009
    • Sat 17th - Sat 24th January 2009
    • Sat 24th - Sat 31st January 2009

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:rlol:

There's a few deals out there for 7 people. Not sure on the quality of all the accommodation though, especially if there's other halves involved. Stuff like this...

http://www.inghams.co.uk/earlybird/AV_AccommodationInfo.aspx?country_code=FRA&resort_code=VTH&Accommodation_Code=5162&Start_Date=17/01/2009%2000:00:00&Departure_Points=LTN,STN,LHR,LGW&Travel_Type=1&Arrival_Points=null&Duration=7&Price_Range=0&Accommodation_Type=H,S,C,&Adults=7&Children=0&brochure_code=I&ddResort=null&searchDate=2009-1-17&searchDateRange=0

I stayed in that hovel hotel last season and the ski-in/ski-out was fantastic, but it was literally the bare essentials. Bathroom, living room with kitchenette, bedroom or 2 depending on how many it's supposed to accommodate.

Are there any resorts people would like to avoid? I've been to La Plagne and I wasn't particularly impressed, but Val Thorens and Tignes I'd go back to anyday.

can't say i've been disappointed with any of the resorts i've been to in europe

soll in austria has good slopes and night life (been twice and not disappointed)

chatel in france, pass covers a huge ski area, night life is erm, interesting :D

soldeu in andorra was like ibiza on snow (but i was on a stag doo)

pretty keen to try somewhere new!

Village Montana Apartments in Tignes Le Lac was ski in / ski out and right in amongst all the super fast 6 person main chairlifts ready to whisk you up the mountains. 4 of us stayed in a two bedroom apartment that had a lounge / kitchenette area which was basic but clean and functional. I would go back and I think 4 per apartment was the most you'd want to have in one - they say you can have 6 there I think by way of the seating in the lounge turning into beds.

Just having a fairly quick look at some sites, so I'll post up any findings that seem to be quite good value. Brian, those village montana places are coming up at £450+ for flights accomodation and transfers at the minute, so not the cheapest available. I'll keep an eye on them though as Tignes would be fantastic!

The only reasonably priced place I've found in Tignes so far is this....

http://www.igluski.com/propertyinfo.cfm?pid=1496&dep=LGW&suppliercode=843&nextSeason=1&name=Lavachet_Apartments

Just found this which is seriously cheap. But probably comes with seriously poor accommodation!

http://www.lastminute.com/site/travel/holidays/holiday-details.html?skin=engb.lastminute.com&dim46=2&dimension45=All+London&destText=&maxOffset=0&children=0&adults=7&searchType=basic&dim14=16%2C6-9+nights&depDay=17&expandThreshold=5&productId=405912755&sourceType=1&minChildAge=2&maxResults=10&childAge0=-1&discount=0&childAge2=-1&childAge3=-1&childAge4=-1&childAge5=-1&maxChildAge=11&depAirportGroup=All+London&dimension5=-1&dimension0=Ski+%26+winter+sports&childAge1=-1&dateRange=20090115-20090119&depMonth=1&dimension23=France&view=accommodation&durationRange=6-9&sortBy=7%2C0

Val Thorens....

http://www.lastminute.com/site/travel/holidays/holiday-details.html?skin=engb.lastminute.com&dim46=2&dimension45=All+London&destText=&maxOffset=20&children=0&adults=7&searchType=basic&dim14=16%2C6-9+nights&depDay=17&expandThreshold=5&productId=82275&sourceType=2&minChildAge=-1&maxResults=10&childAge0=-1&discount=0&childAge2=-1&childAge3=-1&childAge4=-1&childAge5=-1&maxChildAge=-1&depAirportGroup=All+London&dimension5=-1&dimension0=Ski+%26+winter+sports&childAge1=-1&dateRange=20090115-20090119&depMonth=1&dimension23=France&view=accommodation&durationRange=6-9&sortBy=7%2C0

Checked out the links and don't like the look of the 2-star places - most of them don't even have seperate bedrooms, just sleep in the lounge on sofabeds.

3-star min IMO! :)

I was just thinking we need to decide on things like that! 3* is fine with me.

Does anyone have any thoughts on budget for the holiday itself (flights, transfers and accommodation)? Personally I'd like as cheap as possible, so preferably

I'm also currently only looking in France, but will expand to Austria/Switzerland over the next few days/weeks.

For muchos cheapness it's gotta be Levi in Finland I reckon. Think there are some good deals for Austria too.

Will check them out, cheers :thumbs:

Edit to add: Is Scandinavia any good? Anyone been before? My mate and I were considering it this season, but compared to the Alpine resorts, there only appear to be about 1/6th the number of pistes and we got worried we'd have covered it all in the first 2 days.

Not looked at the Scandinavia so no idea what the resorts there are like. I do however know a bunch of people that have been to other places but go back to Levi year on year - good resort that's snowsure and cheap to go to with decent accomodation. I'm booked up already for a week there next year for £342 including my lift passes, transfers, and equipment transport.

Not looked at the Scandinavia so no idea what the resorts there are like. I do however know a bunch of people that have been to other places but go back to Levi year on year - good resort that's snowsure and cheap to go to with decent accomodation. I'm booked up already for a week there next year for £342 including my lift passes, transfers, and equipment transport.

It's that price that is really tempting me! Would you mind going to the same resort twice in one season? If not, I'll have a scout round the net this evening :)

Edit to add Levi piste map link:

http://www.levi.fi/maps/pistemap-eng.jpg

Doesn't look as small as some of them I've seen, so we might not have looked at Levi this season :)

It's that price that is really tempting me! Would you mind going to the same resort twice in one season? If not, I'll have a scout round the net this evening :)

Edit to add Levi piste map link:

http://www.levi.fi/maps/pistemap-eng.jpg

Not sure on the eating / drinking out prices in Levi - might be worth factoring in.

I don't think I'd mind - this trip would be before the one I'm already booked on which is the start of march.

Had a look at the Levi piste map before - it's not bad because you can ski / board all sides of the mountain whereas the Espace Killy area in france whilst it's a broad area of runs is only one side so you don't end up in Italy :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Right. I think we need to get this back on track!

Chatting to Ian the other day on msn, we reckon a bit of an online messaging brainstorm would be a good idea. I've added my msn details to the forum (don't ask on the email address - I've had it for about 10 years and can't be bothered to change it now!), so feel free to add me guys.

Had a very brief chat with Jeff on Saturday (didn't see you all day after we'd left Reading dude!), who's also heard good reviews of Val Thorens. I'd personally rather go to the Alps, but I'm up for keeping an eye out on Andorra/Scandinavian resorts too.

If anyone does fancy throwing some ideas around of an evening, chances are I'm logged into msn if I'm on here. One of my mates has been keeping an eye out on deals, and he said there's not a huge amount of deals for March 09 (when I'm hoping to get boarding trip number two in :D). Perseverence will prevail I hope though!

I'm up for a brain storming session, I'll add you to my msn this evening.

I couldn't find you once we got to the show, would have been good to finish our conversation about injuries :D