Why Supra over say Skyline?

lucasdemoley

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

skylines are like corsas here in ireland (everyone has one) however as stated above they are all the gts versions very very few gtrs about also they are on the top of the hit list for the joyriders over here at the minute so any skyline owners paying us a visit dont bring the skyline, i picked the supra cause im a toyota nut and there is very few about any time i take mine down the raod it turns some serious amount of heads and ive only got mine standard looking

disagree the R34 GTR looks way better than a supra iv seen one before and they do look mean as hell standard

Unfortunately agree here (in standard form). Perhaps because they are rarer.

But like Gazboy says he isn't looking at GTRs so there is no contest in looks or performance (unless he is considering NAs). Even then, I'd take an aerotop NA over a r33 GTS anyday.

Cheers for your opinions peeps, its really helpful for me.

I'm pretty sure I'd be only looking at TT Manuals due to it just being a weekend car that I'll want to also use up the strip ect, basicly everything lol!

Auto box is good and easier to get good times on the strip. Plant and go :D

I personally went for the Supra because of how it looks compared to the square skyline (and the insurance costs)

IMO parts are EASILY accessible and affordable for the supra thanks to people like Steve Manley, Nic is also excellent on this forum for getting parts from Japan and very cheap compared to other places i have seen.

Either way, have a word with Jurgen on this forum and see what he can get for you, he is a very reputable importer on this forum.

brother has a skyline r33gtst that came with all the nismo dash out of the 400r and its a very nice car and the computer is ok for a few days but you soon get bored of it, it is a very nice car in perfect condition but its not a supra, it just feels heavier to drive, and the skylines boot is far to big and pratical, give me no boot space and only room for 1 passenger everytime :)

Ask the same question on the Skyline forum and I'm sure you'll get 100% opposite of whats been posted here :D

All I would suggest is that you take a few examples of each for a drive and make your decision on those experiences (plus a bit of research on running costs, insurance and if it's your thing - the engine/chassis modifications possible on both).

As good as the feedback here can be I certainly wouldn't recommend basing your decision on whats posted on a Supra owners club, it might be considered a little one sided :D

Ask the same question on the Skyline forum and I'm sure you'll get 100% opposite of whats been posted here :D

All I would suggest is that you take a few examples of each for a drive and make your decision on those experiences (plus a bit of research on running costs, insurance and if it's your thing - the engine/chassis modifications possible on both).

As good as the feedback here can be I certainly wouldn't recommend basing your decision on whats posted on a Supra owners club, it might be considered a little one sided :D

Don't know if I'd trust the advice of a BMW owner though Darryl ;)

Great advice :):):)

Spot on. I've got a supra TT auto, and a Skytrain GTS-T, and up till Xmas a GTR V-spec. (Both R33s). Drive a few, simple fact is that it's a personal choice.

(And I love the supra :p I like the looks and the feel when you drive for me is heavier, in a good way, better feel, both the skylines were twitchy though the GTR went like sh*t off a shovel.... or into a crash barrier on the M6 :taped:)

^^^ lol good advice. I'm actualy really keen on the supra, I just had a though thoughts in my head about it costing more ect but it seems asthough i was probibly mislead. Also, as my mates have skylines, I like the idea of having something different.

If I got one i'd be looking at a wide-body, i assume this requires a full re-spray and the kit is exspensive in the first place? Do you get second-hand wide-kits or basicly not because of the way theyr attached?

With engine tuning, what kind of power can you get before it starts getting really exspensive (engine rebuild). Ive also heard that once the head gasket goes its going to be a comon problem on the car?

Sorry for asking loadsa questions in this thread, as i said, I'm very new to Supras so dont really know hardly anyhting about them really (bar what ive read recently on here), so just asking them here instead of posting like a million new topics!

^^^ lol good advice. I'm actualy really keen on the supra, I just had a though thoughts in my head about it costing more ect but it seems asthough i was probibly mislead. Also, as my mates have skylines, I like the idea of having something different.

If I got one i'd be looking at a wide-body, i assume this requires a full re-spray and the kit is exspensive in the first place? Do you get second-hand wide-kits or basicly not because of the way theyr attached?

With engine tuning, what kind of power can you get before it starts getting really exspensive (engine rebuild). Ive also heard that once the head gasket goes its going to be a comon problem on the car?

Sorry for asking loadsa questions in this thread, as i said, I'm very new to Supras so dont really know hardly anyhting about them really (bar what ive read recently on here), so just asking them here instead of posting like a million new topics!

If you don't modify the running costs are very reasonable provided you don't pick up a dog. If you get a bad one then repair costs can be very high. I looked into the Skyline a few years ago (R33 GTR) but the insurance was horrendous and running costs seemed to be much higher. They are also a lot more expensive to get power out of.. on the other hand they are a far easier car to drive fast and a mildly modded GTR is quicker at sub motorway speeds.

A widebody is a nightmare. They are VERY expensive to fit and paint (budget £4-6k) and then you have to add in the costs of a very wide set of wheels (£2k+) and the worry of ever pranging it.

You're doing the right thing though - asking the questions before buying. I'd also recommend asking on the skyline forum to get the "other" picture.

If you don't modify the running costs are very reasonable provided you don't pick up a dog. If you get a bad one then repair costs can be very high. I looked into the Skyline a few years ago (R33 GTR) but the insurance was horrendous and running costs seemed to be much higher. They are also a lot more expensive to get power out of.. on the other hand they are a far easier car to drive fast and a mildly modded GTR is quicker at sub motorway speeds..

I couldn't agree more with this.

The Supra is a much cheaper car to run, modify, insure, repair.

Nissan parts are VASTLY more expensive than Toyota parts (I'm not kidding, everything is between 4 and 8 times what Toyota charge)

Regards,

Gaz.

I looked at skylines but finding a standard unmolested one is hard & with no history with the car most of the time it seems a gamble. Seems there are still quite a lot of standard supras in good condition to be found. I originally wanted an S15 but they are ultra rare, overpriced, all on the south coast & the ones out there look suspiciously like super driftooo funtime cars with all the LSD's & rock solid suspension.

like your pantera avatar thing man.

I have had both, in stock and big single format and they are very different cars, the Supra is much cheaper to mod and IMO is stronger, it also looks better again IMO, BUT the skyline is a fantastic car and very well planted in the bends

My R32

http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/7/18516594949.jpg

Little vid of the car while at TDI in Essex

http://media.putfile.com/R32-49

as for GTS-T, i'm pretty sue they come with 226BHP and they are dam heavy with it, lardy R33 chassis.

R33 GTS-T is around 250-260 stock and lighter than an n/a supra.

having driven and owned a fair amount of these I rate the GTS-t higher than the n/a supra, the skyline is much easier and nicer to drive imo but it does need a slight boost upgrade to make it feel more lively, the supra tt does feel a fair bit quicker in stock form over a stock GTS-t and the GTR's are nice but not as fun as a gts-t to drive, to me the gts feels more rewarding.

Skyline insurance is still really high and I believe a lot of people initally want a skyline but settle for a supra due to insurance.

tuning,

supra TT wins hands down for £1 per bhp and going for big power seems to be quite a fair amount cheaper, ie 500bhp+ due to a very strong engine that doesnt necessarily require a rebuild for this output.

The supra TT is a great car as is the skyline and there seem to be many opinions on here from people who havent experienced both :)

Best bet is to go and drive both and see what you think.

If I had 8k to spend i'd be very tempted to buy a highly modified GTS over a stockish TT

I definetly agree with what everyone has said on here, although this is a supra forum, toyota parts are cheaper, are lighter and the supras look much better looking outside and inside..well,

its no contest! :D

Imo though, supras are definetly sleaker looking as to the boxy body shape to the skylines. I was in the same predicament as you are in now, but as soon as i drove the supra i knew that was it. It just felt like a special place to be! :D

Even my parents said i should get a supra!! As for tuning though, supras are easier i think to extract power from and less pricy.

Unless you want to go for seroius power that is!!

But whatever floats your boat...;) :D