Weds New Carbon Fibre Wheels

Nic

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i have the weds SA70 alloy wheel and absolutely luv em, in normal alloy they are light as a feather the tyre fitters are allways amazed how light they are, however as much as i love carbon and its lightness i dont know if i could live with black, just a thought it took me 2 days to find a tyre fitter to do the alloy SA70 would it be straightfoward mounting tyres on these carbon bad boys

car 080.jpg

Why do people go nuts for things made of carbon fiber just because they are made of carbon fibre?!

Yeah its going to be a great weight reduction item, but they look like boring black wheels?! :search:

Because they weigh 2.75kg, compared to Mike's 7.5kg Volk's, OEM's 12.5kg or my 14kg wheels.

Why did you put a carbon bonnet on your car? Looks wasn't it?

If you don't like them in raw carbon you could just paint them- which is a point, how much extra weight would painting & finishing them add? If it's grams it doesn't matter but I understand that the wing of a Z06 doubled in weight once it was painted.

Because they weigh 2.75kg, compared to Mike's 7.5kg Volk's, OEM's 12.5kg or my 14kg wheels.

Why did you put a carbon bonnet on your car? Looks wasn't it?

If you don't like them in raw carbon you could just paint them- which is a point, how much extra weight would painting & finishing them add? If it's grams it doesn't matter but I understand that the wing of a Z06 doubled in weight once it was painted.

people sticking carbon fuse covers or cam covers or carbon sticky things in the interior or carbon gear knob........purely because its carbon fibre, it doesnt look good

people sticking carbon fuse covers or cam covers or carbon sticky things in the interior or carbon gear knob........purely because its carbon fibre, it doesnt look good

I agree, but no-one is going to spend this sort of money on wheels because of what they are made of. These aren't GRP backed aesthetic items, they are the real deal therefore cost big money. These are likely to be five grand a set, if not a piece.

Not all carbon fibre is the same.

Wet Carbon = Heavy and cheap...mainly for the look. (Cheap arse bonnets and stick on panels)

Dry Carbon = Light, strong and fookin' expensive. (F1/aerospace grade)

Wheels are very critical obviously to your safety and the safety of others....these are going to made of the best stuff.

Reducing unsprung weight makes a huge difference to the handling of a car. Say it's 12Kg's for all 4 wheels...the stockers are about 48Kgs. 36Kg saving...BUT the wheels are unsprung mass and by reducing their weight by 36Kg's its equivilent to taking probably 4 times as much off the weight of the car....that's a huge saving...

So people arn't going nuts over the "carbon" they are going nuts over what the carbon gives you...

In a similar effort, BBS have developed hollow alloy wheels, in an effort to save weight...and if that technology makes ludicrously light alloy wheels I'll be drooling over them too!

BTW are F1 wheels made of carbon fibre and was a titanium alloy wheel ever made?

F1 wheels are usually made from forged magnesium alloy due its low density and high strength. They are machined in one piece to make them as strong as possible.

They are awesome, may have to get some to fill my carbon fibre fetish... Mmmmmm

I wouldn't worry too much about the strength, Airbus use carbon fibre on the rear pressure bulk head of the airbus 340-600, not to mention the fast amounts on the 380 which is in service, and what Boeing are planning with the 787 is virtually 80% composite or something...defiantly more than proven for car wheels.

However torquing these up would be essential as they wouldn't take too well to heavy compressive loads.

They are awesome, may have to get some to fill my carbon fibre fetish... Mmmmmm

I wouldn't worry too much about the strength, Airbus use carbon fibre on the rear pressure bulk head of the airbus 340-600, not to mention the fast amounts on the 380 which is in service, and what Boeing are planning with the 787 is virtually 80% composite or something...defiantly more than proven for car wheels.

However torquing these up would be essential as they wouldn't take too well to heavy compressive loads.

not to forget Roles Royce's cock up with carbon fiber jet engines though ;)

Nice to be among other CF lovin', weight obsessed fanatics. lol

Look awesome, how long till I can afford those???

And then we will have to have a thread on tyre weight comparisons!!!!:p

CJ