The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo Sizing Etc

supraguye

and i beleive they are considerably cheaper than a tubular so good point, another consideration is does a modest turbo warrant a tubular manifold - probably not

I'd agree with you there, don't get my stance wrong. I'm so far from the "must be branded and shiny" brigade my watch is two hours ahead, but I also draw the line at "just plain shonky" :) I got a tubular manifold as that was really the only option available and it came in a kit so everything fitted first go. It hasn't cracked yet after 3 years or so, the BL ones are pretty good it seems. I'd certainly not turn my nose up at a good cast manifold though.

Like I said, that manifold linked to earlier looks great except it seems to point the wrong way....

-Ian

Don't wreck a probably nice car, just save and get two new ceramic turbos from Nic, and a gasket set, and do it right. Had what I considered to be one of the nicest MKIV TT VVTi's in the country in yesterday, that had had a budget single on it, I nearly cried. All it needed was a pair of ceramics and it would still have been one the nicest... All the things I warned the new owner would happen to it, and be wrong with it were present and correct :(

You COULD do a proper single conversion, but if you blanche at two new stock Toyota turbos, cost wise, you shouldn't even be THINKING of going single!

You COULD do a proper single conversion, but if you blanche at two new stock Toyota turbos, cost wise, you shouldn't even be THINKING of going single!

Very true Chris. The cost of replacing faulty stock turbo's is a fraction of the cost of a single conversion.

Try bolting the turbo the right way up. ;)

Not only the wrong way, but the wastegate has the dump tube pointing into the block.

Surely at some point they though "Hey, this doesn't look right"?

Reminds me of those cheap FMIC adds on ebay which show the intake pipe pointing about 3 foot above the bonet :D

I agree with the some of the previous comments, unless you are prepared to spend big money doing a full conversion with quality parts and all supporting mods needed (fueling, ECU, cooling, clutch, etc, etc.), then stick with the stock turbos.

I appreciate all the great feedback guys.

Here was my angle though:

The cost of buying a pair of new twins is not a problem. In all honesty, my long term goal was to have a small-mid single supra. So, now that my turbos are on their way out, I am thinking, why sponge on a set of new twins when I can use that money plus some towards starting my single project considering I already have some of the supporting mods : EMU, TRD clutch, FMIC, Walbro

But what I am getting from your guys is either u go big ... or u don't go; in other words, there can be no phased approache.

Guess now, I have to look at the bank book ... talk to the girly ... and see what can be done

The size of the turbo is pretty irrelevant to the costs unless you go really mad and want over 500 BHP. A set of forged pistons and a pair of cams in a rebuilt engine should handle a small turbo, it's when you want serious power and you need crank and rods that the price rockets. IMO a decent small turbo on a refreshed engine, done and mapped is about 10 to 12K.

If you want to do a single a stages you can but you need to be careful which parts you do first, the single turbo should be last.

I would do it in these steps from a new car, this is a very rough list off the top of my head :-

01. Exhaust

02. Fuel Pump

03. Decent IC

04. Good brakes, either UK/US or aftermarket

That is roughly BPU level which is a good base to start going further, I would then do the following in this order.

Although not 100% required I would install EGT and AFR gauges at this point.

05. Clutch and flywheel

06. fuel controller, either piggyback or replacement with mapping

07. fuel system, either drop in injectors or full system (remapped to suit)

08. install single (remapped to suit)

If you want to do a single a stages you can but you need to be careful which parts you do first, the single turbo should be last.

I would do it in these steps from a new car, this is a very rough list off the top of my head :-

01. Exhaust -Done

02. Fuel Pump -Done

03. Decent IC -Done

04. Good brakes, either UK/US or aftermarket -Done

That is roughly BPU level which is a good base to start going further, I would then do the following in this order.

Although not 100% required I would install EGT and AFR gauges at this point.

05. Clutch and flywheel -Done

06. fuel controller, either piggyback or replacement with mapping -EMU bought .... but doesn't it make sence to map once with bigger injectors and single?

07. fuel system, either drop in injectors or full system (remapped to suit)- Agree ... So maybe I should look to buying the injectors then; as besides the cheap manifold, its the only aspect which I was contemplating cutting back on

08. install single (remapped to suit)

My thoughts in red above

The size of the turbo is pretty irrelevant to the costs unless you go really mad and want over 500 BHP. A set of forged pistons and a pair of cams in a rebuilt engine should handle a small turbo, it's when you want serious power and you need crank and rods that the price rockets. IMO a decent small turbo on a refreshed engine, done and mapped is about 10 to 12K.

Sorry Chris, by Go big here, I meant go all the way (with all the necessary bits)

Anyone ever tried a GT3076? very popular with the evos for 500bhp and would be super fast to spool on a big 3.0L.

Been doing some reading Jamie; and some on here tend to think that it'll run out of breathe uptop; have a look at the link below:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=119221&highlight=GT30&page=2

Although, interestingly the supra in the famous video of the amuse supra and mines skyline uses a GT30:

And if I may add, it seems to move pretty well

EMU bought .... but doesn't it make sence to map once with bigger injectors and single?

If you install an EMU I guess you can have it run zero correction which on standard setup would be fine, if however you have a full standalone this would require mapping as soon as its installed.

As you are EMU then you may not need a remap here, I dont know enough about the EMU to really answer this.

07. fuel system, either drop in injectors or full system (remapped to suit)- Agree ... So maybe I should look to buying the injectors then

650cc drop in with stock FPR are ok if you want approx 550hp, I have pretty much reached the max on mine at 560hp, if I wanted to go any higher I would look at replacing them with some drop in 800cc.

Do not install a cheap manifold, go for a known unit like BL, HKS/PHR or a cast unit from Arnout

Just to add to the ebay manifold debate, we had an ebay manifold for the RB25 engine. We actually used it and it was horrible. It was difficult to fit,badly made, with poor welds. We had to add welding twice during the weeks a it was on the car. We eventually had to redesign it to to be able to get at other bits of the hot side setup. It was quite simply the biggest mistake we ever made. From my experience, use them as a musical instrument, lamp holder, plant pot, but never never use them on a car. Put off your build and save for the real thing. The R&D can't be beaten. We have Greddy and HKS manifolds here and very pleased with the quilt, design, fit and performance. There are other good quality items out there, BL,VWR, Titan etc. They are designed and built with performance in mind not just a quick buck.