The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Nurburgring Trip 2008! 24th-> 29th July

SteveR

Evening all :)

I went to the Nurburgring in 2006, organised a trip last year, and was asked to organise one again this year (I might as well - I'm going regardless as it's in my blood now!)

Sounds great Steve. I'm a member from Denmark and might join you guys down there. I'm guessing the route for you wont cross mine from DK?

If I want more info at a later point on where you are staying and so, should I just follow this thread or PM you or?

I saw you guys last year where I took a few laps myself. See pics, which I think i you, Steve

/Stefan

099.jpg

100.jpg

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

im very keen to come along to this, im not a complete beginner ive been on a track etc before but a couple of quick questions

1. Quick question, insurance how do you get on with it?

2. You can drive as fast / as slow as you like right? is it give way to the faster car etc?

Simon

Sounds great Steve. I'm a member from Denmark and might join you guys down there. I'm guessing the route for you wont cross mine from DK?

If I want more info at a later point on where you are staying and so, should I just follow this thread or PM you or?

I saw you guys last year where I took a few laps myself. See pics, which I think i you, Steve

/Stefan

Wow! Cool pics of me! :D :D :D

You were already welcome to join us but now you've shown me pictures then I practically insist you come! lol

We'll most likely be going from Dunkerque to the 'Ring, probably past Brussells as that seemed last year - the route does just skim the Netherlands, but not Denmark. Something along these lines. Do you think you would meet us on the way or at the 'Ring itself?

I'll send out a PM to those going everytime I update this thread with anything important - I'll try to keep al the info on the first page, for ease of reference. :)

im very keen to come along to this, im not a complete beginner ive been on a track etc before but a couple of quick questions

1. Quick question, insurance how do you get on with it?

2. You can drive as fast / as slow as you like right? is it give way to the faster car etc?

Simon

Don't worry about experience, if you've got some, great - if you haven't but can use your mirrors and don't drive faster than you can see or faster than know you can, you'll be fine. I hadn't been on a track before I went 2 years ago, and in fact still haven't driven the Supra on any track but the 'Ring!! :D

A1) Sometimes insurance policies will cover you for driving at the 'Ring (mine did - I've changed since but I think I'm still covered), sometimes they're not sure (when the track is open to the public, the official line is that it is "a one-way public toll road" - full German traffic laws apply and the police attend any accidents) and sometimes a policy will explicitly name and exclude it.

Check yours, and if you're worried, consider taking out additional insurance just for the 'Ring. I'll dig out some details if anyone wants this, IIRC it's not cheap, but if you'd rather play it safe...

A2) All overtaking must be done on the left. If you want to drive slow - and don't forget coach tours go round the place amongst other VERY slow vehicles - just keep to the right and out of the way. When a faster vehicle catches you up (and it will, EVERYONE even those in track weapons and 2,000 laps under their belt gets overtaken) just flick the right-hand indicator on so they know you've seen them and are ok to pass (you'll appreciate the same thing when you go to overtake someone).

Most of the time, if you're lapping at a sensible but progressive pace*, you won't come across that many other cars anyway - except between about 10am~5pm at weekends when it can get silly busy. At those times, I prefer to find various spots to go & spectate from instead, and go out in the morning/evening/weekdays when the track is MUCH quieter and it's not uncommon to have a lap entirely to yourself.

* = don't ever drive faster than you want to though, there is nothing wrong with sticking to the right the whoel lap if you wish to and just cruising round. I've done a 9 minute lap and I've done a 20 minute lap. :)

EDIT to say, I'm happy to sit in with people if they want a "the track goes left here... goes right over this crest" guide, and likewise, offer passenger laps - though I'm an '8/10ths' driver at the 'Ring so don't get too excited!

oh buggeration i was seriously considering this trip but dont know how i go on with my recent brake upgrade, i have worked in engineering all my life, had the machining done at work so hence have no paperwork to back it up :( i guess you would have to risk it, the drive there would be good anyway even if the Gestapo didn't let you on the track

just found this which explains modified cars and the reasoning behind it, i think it may be a case of suck it see as the year goes on and reports start to come back from the ring as to how severe the testing is, bloody do gooders at it again

If you're very worried, you could always get the German test done out there. I suspect, however, that they would inspect the car and if it's clearly a good standard - and your car is legal for the UK with as much paperwork you can throw at them - then you'd be ok. No promises as I haven't experienced this yet, but it sounds like they're being pragmatic with non-German registered cars and you should be ok.

You've got engineering experience & abilities behind you, so I'm sure it looks the business.

If I made a roll cage or some brakes however... lol

In Belgium speed limit is 120kph, so thats about 75/80 mph?

Be carefull as there are a lot of radars out there lately.

I'm looking forwards to this trip allready. I try to join the convoy on the way.

- P -

I'm pretty bad with foreign speed limits (and cones), ask Ian R. I try to behave when I'm leading a convoy though, promise!!

Can you let me know if you want accomodation and for how many?

Ta!

I'm pretty bad with foreign speed limits (and cones), ask Ian R. I try to behave when I'm leading a convoy though, promise!!

Can you let me know if you want accomodation and for how many?

Ta!

Ah the cones. I got a telling of from my passenger for that I'll have you know :D

Ah the cones. I got a telling of from my passenger for that I'll have you know :D

It's not my fault, I'm easily influenced and I remember a Ferrari doing it on a Gumball video... I was just checking my suspension... erm, erm..

Why did you get told off?? :D

No need for accomodation, it's just a daytrip for me. Maybe 2 or 3 hour drive from my place so that's okay. Thanks for asking.

- Peter -

No probs.

Unlike last year, there doesn't seem to be any major events going on that weekend anyway - so you might be ok and find somewhere at the last minute, should you get to the track, try it out, and decide you want to stay. ;)

Bod - I'm on your way down and I work with several Danes. Don't expect I can understand you but in my experience, most Danes speak excellent English. You're more than welcome to spend the nite if you need a break (and a couple of beers with a well cooked meal) before the final drive down. I live just off the A46 which is off the A61. Check the link above of the proposed map. You'll find me just north of Aachen and East of Galeen.

Ian, with a single, you better be up my arse mate, and as I recall, wasn't that a photo lap and meant to be slow. This year, you better bring the heat. I'm on new rubber, suspension, brakes, and almost full BPU. Your line looks a bit off there btw. LOL.

Boys, you know that Carly and I wouldn't miss it. We're 82 mins door to door to the Ring. Anyone else who'd like drive down the day prior and rest up a nite is always welcome. I have a fully stocked bar and then some in the house. What is it those boyscouts say?

Steve-top notch thread so far mate. Keep it comin.

Edit - Peter, be great to see you again bud.

Rob - You'd better make it pal. This year will be better than last and last year was good.

Ian, with a single, you better be up my arse mate, and as I recall, wasn't that a photo lap and meant to be slow. This year, you better bring the heat. I'm on new rubber, suspension, brakes, and almost full BPU. Your line looks a bit off there btw. LOL.

It was the photolap looks great doesn't it :D I'm on new rubber this year too. Oh and a bigger tubby muchas fun. Hope the beast us ready if not I will be posing in the NA Aerotop instead LOL

This year, you better bring the heat. I'm on new rubber, suspension, brakes, and almost full BPU. Your line looks a bit off there btw. LOL.

Excellent fighting talk :D

Steve-top notch thread so far mate. Keep it comin.

I shall do my best! :) Glad you guys are coming :thumbs:

I have just thought I will have no passenger (ESC) this year. I gonna make sure i'm insured on the ring if in the single chances are I might erm over do it :D

Don't say stuff like that you muppet!!! :rolleyes:

EDIT - won't your bro be interested in tagging along? (or driving even??) Is his car fixed?

EDIT - won't your bro be interested in tagging along? (or driving even??) Is his car fixed?

Erm don't think so as he has nipper no2 on the way. Oh and my other Supra I own now, is his old one I bought it off him. But he is always welcome to use it :D

Erm don't think so as he has nipper no2 on the way. Oh and my other Supra I own now, is his old one I bought it off him. But he is always welcome to use it :D

Greedy :p

Get your single sorted so I know I have a reserve car for when the inevitable happens and I'm Supra-less in July. I've already asked Jurgen to keep his eyes out for a facelift RSP TT6/T6 for me. :D

Greedy :p

Get your single sorted so I know I have a reserve car for when the inevitable happens and I'm Supra-less in July. I've already asked Jurgen to keep his eyes out for a facelift RSP TT6/T6 for me. :D

Will do it will be going over to CW in a week or so