The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT in 2019 with No Cats?

auzzam

As you said above if its a jspec Na or NaT then there is no UK known spec and doesn't require 'a full catalyst emissions test' so surely would not fall foul?

The new rules aren't just about the emissions test, there is a bit in there about if a cat was fitted from new it should have one.

taken from a Dec 2014 publication

Testers sometimes ask how they’d know if a DPF/CAT was fitted as standard?

When it comes to knowing if a DPF/CAT was fitted as standard; until we can obtain the information and publish it, testers will have to use their experience and any other reliable source of information to identify if a DPF has been removed. If it can’t be positively identified that a DPF/CAT was fitted as standard, they will have to pass and advise.

So if that's been the case since then and you've had the mot's since gone ok, you should be ok at that place, but if the saw a Supra parts diagram etc that shows the cat/cats then they could/should legitimately fail it.

This really is a great topic and thanks for everyone for putting their view across.

I think deeming a car not road worthy from not having a cat is just to How they would phrase a fail.

A car is typically called not road worthy if it fails an MOT. Though many of the items on it in some people's opinion would not make it unsafe compared to a passing vehicle.

With the internet so easily able to provide which car a came with a cat I'm I'm sure an insurance company would love to use it against you in order to save themselves a huge pay out.

Perhaps they wouldn't even care. As long as it was declared.

Has anyone even thought to ask some insurance companies?

There is a lot of ambiguity here, and not 100% of the onus is on the owner. Loads of scare stories and the odd real story of claim refusal but it's normally a very serious withholding of info/lie (fronting etc).

I mean you could mod a car declare everything, then sell to a person who always just wanted a Supra. They aren't as clued up and so might not declare everything, this is not usually held against them.

I really don't think an insurance company can be quite so black and white for any discrepancy, otherwise I would never have heard of instances (and I have of more then one) where when the find an undeclared modification post claim and they make an adjustment for what the premium would have been if declared.....if they could just not pay anything due to this as you say they wouldn't?

I mean you could declare your car with alloys, get them refurbed and run it for a few days with stock wheels, crash make a claim and they refuse you for having the stock wheels on not the insured aftermarket ones? In reality they won't care and it wouldn't make any difference......that's my pragmatic take on it. But asking will inform you 100% but careful what you wish for, if you chatted frankly like on here they may well see the point being made about the legalities and state its not covered with a decat.

Sounds like fitting a sports cat might put your mind as ease?

At present Dunks friend with it declared is safe imo.

There was a recent discussion on here about VVT-i cars only having one cat and the second being faux or some sort of silencer.

My VVT-i was failed for not having both cats in place and emissions. The only way I could get it through was a fit a second cat pipe from a pre-VVT-i which in turn lowered the emissions to the acceptable level. They also kept comparing my car to the specs of a UK car.

I tried arguing the point but as I couldn't give definitive proof it was pretty much a moot.

OK so whats the cost of making a sports cat? that still allows 1.2bar of boost?

I've seen some 3 inch sports cats. Because you reduce the flow you would need more than 1.2 bar if you wanted to maintain the same hp.

Total volume of air per cycle would be changed. So you'd need to compensate with higher boost I expect.

I'm going to look to put two 3 inch cats together in parallel and hope it doesn't cause me much lose in power. That'll be after I've had it mapped initially. Just to iron out any issues.

I'm going to include no cat on insurance and See what they say from a claim viewpoint.

For anyone in need of a first and second cat I have a set fresh off my car that were on the car for the MOT passed only a few days ago. They have been swapped out for a better looking set of cats with intact shields, these are speed hump trashed on my original set. Anyone finding they are now in need of fully functioning pre-facelift cats feel free to PM for pics and to pitch in with an offer.