Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Door panel and armrest covers from Interior Innovations

  1. #1
    Posting is my life! Club Member evinX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    England - Northamptonshire
    Posts
    6,515
    Feedback
    29 (100%)

    Door panel and armrest covers from Interior Innovations

    Here are my door panel covers from Interior innovations, i went for oem style grain for the main panel, ribbed napa leather for the insert and napa leather for the arm rest.
    Pretty hard to fit but im really happy with the outcome, i paid just under 300 including delivery to the uk and my 21 import fee...winning! Was quoted 600-1000 from UK based companys.

    What you need:-

    Evostick time bond, i used 3 tins of 500ml

    Brushes
    Craft knifes
    Clamps
    Araldite to fill and smooth any digs in the oem panel

    8 speaker grill clips from toyota - 90183-03092

    I used a dremel to cut of the old speaker nut securing clips, dont cut the tabs off!



    Strip the door panels down, remove everything



    You have to pull these tabs up and the trims pops off



    Use araldite to fill and smooth dings/rips







    How the covers look





    Now this is where your own ability comes into it, theres going to be load of different results...im just a diy try it yourself person, you need to stretch, paste glue onto the door panel and then onto the underside of the cover, let it go tacky and gently lay it down while smoothing it out, i did a small area at a time and started at the top where the window trim sits.
    I got this, while its not perfect, its really really good enough for me and its exactly what i wanted, i would like for some of the creases to not be there, but hey.
    Enjoy, Kev






  2. #2
    Gold Rush Club Member Rob_Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    England - Kent
    Posts
    17,434
    Feedback
    76 (100%)
    I wouldn't be happy with that, looks bad mate with all them creases and bumps
    Gold Rush Supra- The one and only!! BIG HKS 2835 Twins
    Fine tuned & Maintained by Lee P @ Supra Racing Developments
    Mapped by Ryan G @ 2bartuning
    Built and Owned by Rob Mitchell @ Darnley AutoWorks


  3. #3
    Posting is my life! Club Member evinX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    England - Northamptonshire
    Posts
    6,515
    Feedback
    29 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Mitchell View Post
    I wouldn't be happy with that, looks bad mate with all them creases and bumps
    Im happy with it. My hdr cam pics up all the niggles. Not so bad with my non hdr eyes

  4. #4
    I can post! MEMBERSHIP EXPIRED
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    England - Durham
    Posts
    78
    Feedback
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Mitchell View Post
    I wouldn't be happy with that, looks bad mate with all them creases and bumps
    I have to agree, I'm afraid; all the wrinkling around the lower rear corner especially will end up annoying you, I reckon.

    Something like this is a very hard job to get right!

  5. #5
    I'm part of the furniture Club Member Dnk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    England - West Midlands
    Posts
    22,499
    Feedback
    15 (100%)
    Sorry but that looks a mess
    Dunk

  6. #6
    Posting is my life! Club Member evinX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    England - Northamptonshire
    Posts
    6,515
    Feedback
    29 (100%)
    I'm happy with it, like it said its not perfect. Not going to be anal about it and fork out 600-1000. 300 delivered jobbie and dosent look half bad, all fitted and looks good to be fair

  7. #7
    I'm addicted now! MEMBERSHIP EXPIRED
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Wales - Mid Glamorgan
    Posts
    753
    Feedback
    0
    The leather will eventually soften and regain it's shape so the visible bits will be fine. The corner will stay creased but if it's where I think it is you can only see it wehn the door is open.

    I'm personally going for the Top-Gaiters one next year when I get some new seats, 100ish for a pair but less technical design. Bit more boring but wayyy better than the OEM vinyl jobby

  8. #8
    I can post! MEMBERSHIP EXPIRED
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    England - Durham
    Posts
    78
    Feedback
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cered View Post
    The leather will eventually soften and regain it's shape so the visible bits will be fine. The corner will stay creased but if it's where I think it is you can only see it wehn the door is open.

    I'm personally going for the Top-Gaiters one next year when I get some new seats, 100ish for a pair but less technical design. Bit more boring but wayyy better than the OEM vinyl jobby
    I doubt the look of those doorcards will change very much over time, to be honest. If everything is glued down securely then there's nowhere for the leather to move to, so all the wrinkles and whatnot will stay exactly where they are.

    Bespoke leatherwork costs money for a very good reason: because there's a lot of work involved in not only making it, but fitting it correctly as well. All these mass-produced kits run too much risk of looking less than brilliant because the fitting will more than likely let the end result down. Professional fitting is highly recommended for anything of this nature, in my opinion.

  9. #9
    Posting is my life! Club Member evinX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    England - Northamptonshire
    Posts
    6,515
    Feedback
    29 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo HnS View Post
    I doubt the look of those doorcards will change very much over time, to be honest. If everything is glued down securely then there's nowhere for the leather to move to, so all the wrinkles and whatnot will stay exactly where they are.

    Bespoke leatherwork costs money for a very good reason: because there's a lot of work involved in not only making it, but fitting it correctly as well. All these mass-produced kits run too much risk of looking less than brilliant because the fitting will more than likely let the end result down. Professional fitting is highly recommended for anything of this nature, in my opinion.
    I agree, but I'm not a rich boy and cant justify spending X amount on door panels and having them perfect. I would like them to be, but my wallet dosent agree. Anyway I'm still loving the interior now

  10. #10
    Posting is my life! Club Member evinX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    England - Northamptonshire
    Posts
    6,515
    Feedback
    29 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cered View Post
    The leather will eventually soften and regain it's shape so the visible bits will be fine. The corner will stay creased but if it's where I think it is you can only see it wehn the door is open.

    I'm personally going for the Top-Gaiters one next year when I get some new seats, 100ish for a pair but less technical design. Bit more boring but wayyy better than the OEM vinyl jobby
    To be fair the passenger side, the worst, has creases, been using leather cream and massaging it and the creases have gotten less, I can always peel back and re do the corner. But it hasn't gotten to me...yet

  11. #11
    stear from the rear Club Member fastcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    England - Gloucestershire
    Posts
    3,048
    Feedback
    10 (100%)
    If you want to try and do it again I would maybe use a low heat steamer or hairdryer to make the fabric a little more stretchy! That way once the glue has dried and fabric has cooled down a lot of the creases pull themself out
    People ask why buy a Supra, Some people say it's because they have liked the car since it first came out, some say it's because of the fast and furious film. But for me it's simply because I have a pathetically small penis

  12. #12
    I can post! MEMBERSHIP EXPIRED
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    England - Durham
    Posts
    78
    Feedback
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fastcar View Post
    If you want to try and do it again I would maybe use a low heat steamer or hairdryer to make the fabric a little more stretchy! That way once the glue has dried and fabric has cooled down a lot of the creases pull themself out
    Steam shouldn't ever be used with leather! Heat, yes - steam, no. Steam will ruin the leather.

  13. #13
    I'm a newbie. Club Member mc92's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    England - Hertfordshire
    Posts
    638
    Feedback
    1 (100%)
    I think I'll give these a miss. I'm definitely planning on getting their seat covers eventually but this seems like too much potential to mess up what with the gluing and the araldyting. I'm good at messing things up.

  14. #14
    Me? Post? Never! Club Member mwilkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England - Hampshire
    Posts
    4,464
    Feedback
    61 (100%)
    I've never seen a decent set of covered door cards, even having allegedly been done by an "expert". I would happily pay 1K for a decent retrim on the door cards. They are 1K + new and damage so easily I just couldn't warrant buying new.

    Has anyone ever seen a nice set of recovered door cards in a basic leather?
    1996 Facelift J-Spec 6spd Single Turbo (600bhp) - Gunmetal
    Sold - 1995 Jspec 6 Speed Manual BPU (Lambo Grigio Avlon)

  15. #15
    Got the shiny bug. Club Member ripped_fear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    England - Hampshire
    Posts
    14,779
    Feedback
    95 (100%)
    Kinda feel sorry for you mate, this thread is attracting some negative posts. Good on you for giving it a go, they are not perfect from the pictures BUT as long as YOUR happy then all good

    Quote Originally Posted by mwilkinson View Post
    I've never seen a decent set of covered door cards, even having allegedly been done by an "expert". I would happily pay 1K for a decent retrim on the door cards. They are 1K + new and damage so easily I just couldn't warrant buying new.

    Has anyone ever seen a nice set of recovered door cards in a basic leather?
    There is a thread on the supraforums with some brilliant re-trims
    I went from a 220bhp Sapphire Cosworth > Supra TT BPU circa 400 BHP......................BUt dont worry I had plenty of experiance on Mario Kart -scotty71
    If you were an engine would you like JP as your owner:-)? I'd report him to the RSPCE (Royal Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Engines).-Chris Wilson
    That was SupraPond 2010. WaspyPod was a corker, never seen to many wasps in one place.-Branners
    I am bad, but then I'm not a moderator....Im so much more.-Branners
    You are bloody nuts. Nothing comes close dude, what the hell would you replace it with? A GTR, that's like going from Kiera Knightley to Susan Boyle.-Supra Gaz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •