The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Luc's SRD1XXX Supra

Luxluc

The next step for my Supra is a built the engine.

After having read in several project threads, and after some discussions with Darren, Paul and Ryan, I plan for the following setup.

- Mahle Pistons (86.5mm)

- Carillo HD H-Beam rods

- ACL race bearings

- SRD Stage 5 race head - the head from Jamie's black Beast

- Titan main caps

- L19's exotic

- ASNU 1100cc injectors

- Syvecs S6 GP ECU

- RPS carbon/carbon triple plate clutch

- Garage Whifbitz coil packs

- TRD engine mount kit

- Big case TRD diff with TRD solid mounts

- SRD 280 cams

- 4 DP/MP

- Whifbitz titanium 4" single box exhaust

- BL366 HF turbo

I don't plan to upgrade my turbo, as I want something streetable, and no big bhp monster. I would like to see how far the 91-79 tubbie can be pushed, hopefully around 2.2 bar.

Comments / suggestions are more than welcome, as I want to make my shopping list ready by February, so that long lead time items can be ordered before my trip to Whifbitz (planned somewhere in April).

Cheers

Luc

Edited by Luxluc (see edit history)

I know what you mean mate.

I want to do more trackdays in the next years, and therefore, I'm a bit scared that the track will put too much stress on the stock engine.

Plus, with a proper build engine, there's not much needed for bigger power aims apart from a bigger turbo.

Thanks for your advice ;)

Sure Hodge has updated ARP rod bolts, main and head bolts, cams and ACL race bearing etc.

I thought about going this route mate but after chatting will Lee I didn't see the point. I'm planning the same mods as Hodge and running a 7675 through it.

If your keeping the same turbo just seems a waste especially as you say you don't want big big power.

Its more to do with the rpm limit imo, stock engine will take the power of a turbo that size at 2.2bar easy if its in good condition and you dont go mad with the rev limit, a big rev limit is very nice to have though and for that reason i would go built engine and flowed head if you can spare the money.

Also Imo there is no way any of these cars that are quoting hub bhp + 15% are anywhere near the power owners are quoting, hub bhp is nearer to fwhp imo.

Nice spec. Get a different snail and really push things, help your rev range out alot.

I have a built bottom end in mine but only because one was offered me at a decent price and has been proven with good power. But i SOOOOOOOO dont need it for my power level target but its nice to have i suppose

Edited by Rob_Mitchell (see edit history)

Sure Hodge has updated ARP rod bolts, main and head bolts, cams and ACL race bearing etc.

I thought about going this route mate but after chatting will Lee I didn't see the point. I'm planning the same mods as Hodge and running a 7675 through it.

If your keeping the same turbo just seems a waste especially as you say you don't want big big power.

You're right Ricky. The problem is that I always pushed the power more and more. I thought that going once for all for a complete build engine would give me enough growth potential.

Plus, the stress put on the engine during track days is quite immense.

Its more to do with the rpm limit imo, stock engine will take the power of a turbo that size at 2.2bar easy if its in good condition and you dont go mad with the rev limit, a big rev limit is very nice to have though and for that reason i would go built engine and flowed head if you can spare the money.

Also Imo there is no way any of these cars that are quoting hub bhp + 15% are anywhere near the power owners are quoting, hub bhp is nearer to fwhp imo.

I know that the 91-79 tubbie will probably get out of puff above 7.2k.

The reason for a build engine is mainly for the track use. Plus, if I want to however go for a 76mm tubbie at a later stage, I won't have to upgrade again then.

What do you mean by "quoting hub bhp"?

What do you mean by "quoting hub bhp"?

I'm referring to people saying a stock engine is good for xxxbhp when the owner has got that figure by adding 15% to the hub figures they have been given by the dyno (i have been guilty of this myself in the past)

Quoting hub bhp is the right thing to do imo, adding 15% to the hub figure and calling that your fwhp is miles out, id love to think i have 1330bhp, but i dont.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but the results from a hub dyno are measured at the wheels so why would you think that's more the fwhp.

There will be some losses but may not be 15%. I would think the only way round it would be to go ona hub dymo then straight onto an engine dyno.

Luc if your are wanting a built engine and you can afford it then fill your boots I will be looking forward to the build thread.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but the results from a hub dyno are measured at the wheels so why would you think that's more the fwhp.

No mate, they are measured at the hub, the wheels are not even on the car, its not RWHP you get on a hub dyno, its RHHP.

I dont know the % to use, id guess nearer 5%, Any figure you use other than the figure the dyno gives you is a guess.

Spending some money there luxluc, I know exactly what you mean about having a strong engine thats why i had mine done with ACL - ARP parts but know i keep blowing gearbox's lol so a 6 speed will be added soon.

Look forward to racing you round SPA or the Ring next year then lol.

Yes James,

I was to the Ring 3 times in August (this year). I start to like it a lot.

With a strong engine, I can keep my right foot on the accelerator without fearing to break something.

I will go down to Afghanistan next May (for 5 months), so we will be having fun in 2013 around SPA and the Ring. Regular track days are on my agenda now ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Due to my current deployment to Afghanistan (may-october), I had to postpone the next step to end of this year, probably beginning of next year.

I have to see if I will go for the complete engine build altogether at once, or in two steps. We are building a new house next year, to have more place once kid N°4 is on its way (preparations are planned after the mission) :)

Nevertheless, the first parts have been ordered.

- Carillo heavy duty H Beam rods (thanks Jason)

- L19 exotic (thanks Jason)

- SRD 280 cams (thanks Ricky)

- Titan Motorsports Timing Belt Tensioner Bracket (thanks Ricky)

E85 starts to get more and more available over here. I'm undecided whether to go for it or not. If yes, I would have to go for a complete new fuel setup (PHR stage 4 E85 kit). I have talked to Dusty (MVP) about it, and the best way would be to go for a complete new setup.

I'm still uncertain .. I would like to simply try E85 (fuel kit, RPS triple carbon clutch, Syvec ECU) to see what's coming out at 2.2+ bar. Then, I can go for the engine rebuild in a second phase.

Any suggestions ??

Luc

• Luxluc changed the title to Luc's SRD1XXX Supra