The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Now how would I get my car to do this?

AJI

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=469

Is it a case of having a mappable ECU and creating a longer fuel overrun?

Or can it be done with a stock(ish) setup engine with an exhaust upgrade?

The car in the picture is Mr Whiffin's is it not, and the spec is... well pretty damn high. :)

My existing setup will pop and bang every so often and I may get a small hint of a flame once in a while, but I'm not getting any flames of that size.

You just can't beat a car that fires flames in anger like that, its very impressive. May not give a faster lap time but it sure looks good whilst you're trying. :)

(not wanting to go down the chav-flamer-kit route by the way)

In rally cars, the flames from exhaust gases are generated from a technical peice of machinery which keeps the turbos spooling when you take your foot of the gas so the boost is still there when you plant your foot back down. They say that its kills turbos like nothing else tho so they dont use them on normal cars where you would want your turbos lasting more than a couple of races!

Guest Terry S
In rally cars, the flames from exhaust gases are generated from a technical peice of machinery which keeps the turbos spooling when you take your foot of the gas so the boost is still there when you plant your foot back down. They say that its kills turbos like nothing else tho so they dont use them on normal cars where you would want your turbos lasting more than a couple of races!

LOL you mean antilag, where you effectively let fuel into the exhaust to keep the turbo spinning. Yes the exhaust wheels dont like it ( rally cars use iconel wheels AFAIK)

There are ways of setting certain standalone ECU's up to give large flames on lift off.

The ECU completely cuts fuel when decelerating above a certain rpm. If you have an aftermarket ECU and don't enable this deceleration fuel cut off (DeFCO) then you'll get flames. As has been mentioned before, the turbo won't like it much, and on other cars that have ceramic CAT's you can feck those up too.

Essentially, in my book, it points to a poorly mapped car.

And that rear wing is obscene.

The Carling F3 race team used to set up both of their F3 cars in the BritF3 Championship to overfuel on lift-off.... I asked one of their engineers a while back why they did this and he told me that it gave quicker throttle response when the driver came back on the power.

Don't know if this is applied to all types of engine mapped this way, but it seemed to work for F3 cars as Carling won the season that year with Takuma Sato.