The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Are singles the way to go?

wkdtime

In front of the curtains everyone recomends that singles are the way to go, i.e less things to go wrong, lower EGT's than hybrids...etc. But behind the curatins i have heard a few members mention that quite a few people are not happy with there singles, claiming boost problems, mapping/fueling problems etc and would not recomend it and rather you go with hybrids or big twins for more reliable power.

Not putting down the singles or hybrids just want to know your thoughts on this as i will be going down the single route possibly, im personally looking to achieve a true 500BHP road car that is reliable and will not have to be at the tuners every fortnight getting mapped and remapped.

your thoughts on this gents and ladies.:search:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

all i would say is single turbos are fecking great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

only thing i will say in all seriousness is get a budget but allways have a little extra as it can get expensive when mapping setup etc,have a chat with turbofit great guys have some very good packages and some good sound advise good luck mate :)

Are they really worth it for the money though?

How often do you give full reign to a single? I'm lucky to get turbo two any action on my daily drive to and from work. A single would be an utter waste IMO.

Not even sure BPU justifies the outlay.

I would also say that you need to be careful just how far you go with it. The more the car is modified the more complex it becomes and the harder it becomes to track down the problems. My t-61 with a SAFC worked fine, Im now trying to move to a Emanage Blue and its causing problems, not problems that cant be resolved but something that will take a while to resolve.

JB

Well there's no difference between a single and big twins when it comes to mapping or fuelling, because the big twins will run in parallel so have the same sort of boost curve as a single. The only difference is that big twins will involve more pipework and expense.

As for hybrids, that was the route that I was going to go down, but there's not a lot of point. You can get the stock turbos to perform as well as hybrids provided you sort the fueling etc out which you would have to do for hybrids anyway. The only real point of going hybrid would be if your stock turbos blew and you couldn't afford or didn't want to go single.

Basically you want to stick with stockers up to 450bhp. If you like the sequential operation (as I do) then that's what you're limited to. If you want more then go for a single and accept the fact you're going to have to do some work to get it running perfectly. I'm expecting mine to be at full boost after the first turbo normally would have spooled but before the 2nd would. So you lose a bit low down then gain from 3K or so upwards.

Guest Terry S

Really depends if its done properly, with decent equipment. They can be awesome, they can be awful. You must make educated long term choices.

Guest Flat4_ire
Terry if i were aiming for let say 500-550BHP at crank, what would you recomend as a wise and efficient set up, i.e tubo and all supporting mods.

t61 kit, 550cc injectors min, SAFC etc etc,

Guest Flat4_ire
No need for an aftermarket ecu then?

Im sure thats recommended thou.

well emanage is reccomended, but u can go for piggyback setup if ya want, all depends on the monies, 4k to 6k ud wanna be aiming for anyway

Guest Terry S
Terry if i were aiming for let say 500-550BHP at crank, what would you recomend as a wise and efficient set up, i.e tubo and all supporting mods.

Cor that is a tough question. There are various ways to achieve that TBH mate. it depends on a number of things, fuel, compression, management.

Dave ( secondjump) has probably the best rounded street setup on the budget side of things IMHO. Stock compression, BL61P, Boostlogic Full tubular set up kit, 650's and an emanage tuned by Ian C. It works extremely well.

thats the thing with me my cars only done 15k miles its been parked for 5 years and hardly driven, im mad as i want everything perfect and im willing to spend money for the single. But my dad who gave me the car keeps moaning, not on the fact im spending every penny on the car, but me touching the engine as he says its hardly been driven and your gona fuck up the engine by sticking all sorts of shit(modifying the engine). On the other hand my brother said rip the shit out of (my hardly unsued) the stock turbos and when they blow, go single, but fo the mean time upgrade certain parts like injectors, fuel pump etc im CONFUSED:search:

Guest Terry S
thats the thing with me my cars only done 15k miles its been parked for 5 years and hardly driven, im mad as i want everything perfect and im willing to spend money for the single. But my dad who gave me the car keeps moaning, not on the fact im spending every penny on the car, but me touching the engine as he says its hardly been driven and your gona fuck up the engine by sticking all sorts of shit(modifying the engine). On the other hand my brother said rip the shit out of (my hardly unsued) the stock turbos and when they blow, go single, but fo the mean time upgrade certain parts like injectors, fuel pump etc im CONFUSED:search:

come and try mine.

In front of the curtains everyone recomends that singles are the way to go, i.e less things to go wrong, lower EGT's than hybrids...etc. But behind the curatins i have heard a few members mention that quite a few people are not happy with there singles, claiming boost problems, mapping/fueling problems etc and would not recomend it and rather you go with hybrids or big twins for more reliable power.

.:search:

It would take a brave man to admit they have cocked up trying to do it 'on the cheap'