The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake Fluid Change fail - Recommend me a bleeder

Big Mark

Car desperately needs a brake fluid change as a recent bleed hasn't help fix the spongy brake pedal. So got 2 litres of Motul RBF 600 and got this brake bleeder hooked up.

30 mins of pumping later and only one wheel done, went to start on another and realised that the bleeder isn't creating a vacuum (first wheel was done by luck & gravity alone I reckon. So it's now in a bin and I need a new one. Was never a fan this particular one so open to recommendations........... Oh and the pedal is even worse, 80% pedal travel before anything happens, so can't even drive the car to a garage. :(

Been looking on ebay and found these....

Gunson Eezibleed, but heard that they don't fit the supra reservoir so I'd have to modify my current cap and get a new one. No biggie if it works. Only negative being the need to stop and top up the reservoir.

The PELA 6000, not seen this before but can't see any negatives and looks a lot easier to use than the vacuum bleeder I had and binned.

Another vacuum type bleeder here

VESA 820, another I've not seen before but am I right in thinking I put the brake fluid in this, attach to reservoir (probably needing to use a modified cap), pressurise it and then just loosen one bleed nipple at a time and it pushes the fluid through the system?

Found this one in a local shop, but needs a compressor, though would give me an excuse to get one.

Final one is this cheap and chearfull thing. Attach to nipple and pump the brake pedal until fluid has been pushed through.

What do you guys reckon / recommend?

Edited by Big Mark (see edit history)

Do it the old fashioned way if your not having success with whatever you've got bleed kit wise

Find a friend for 10 minutes who can understand "on" & "off".

The "friend" would be the girlfriend and it's really not worth the hassle of explaining it to her over and over again......... :p

They do sell a universal adjustable cap separately which will fit pretty much any car

The 4 standard caps that come with the kit don't fit the supra though no

I modified a cap to work on my track civic, never actually used it on the supra yet but i plan on buying one of there universal caps for it :thumbs:

Feel free to borrow if you like

The "friend" would be the girlfriend and it's really not worth the hassle of explaining it to her over and over again......... :p

with the cheap kit, all you need is for her to pump the brake pedal and then hold it down when you see the fluid running fresh and bubble free and whilst you nip the bleed nipple back up?

With the one way valve bleeder you have to be careful that it doesnt suck air back in through the nipple thread when you release the pedal - if it does that it doesn't matter how good the bleeder is, you end up with air in the system.

To avoid this try:

- only loosen the nipple off just enough to get the fluid out

- smear grease around the nipple thread to seal it up

- get a piece of wood about 2' long, on the last press wedge it between the pedal and the front of the seat to keep the pedal down whilst you tighten the nipple up.

Hope this helps

If i was closer id have just poped over and helped with on and off :p

GUNSONS EEZIBLEED EASYBLEED are pretty good.

Thanks mate but I can sort it easily enough. I could do it the old fashioned way but will get a new bleeder of some kind and sort it.