The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gearbox Failure

Pig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrpptSMTjEA

Took the car out for a run today to give it some shit/testing for the dragonball and she gave in as I went from 1st to 2nd.

Thankfully I wasnt far from home so I managed to reverse all the way home. The vid is showing the noise being made when you lift the clutch to drive off......BRILLIANT.

BTW - If you are selling a 6 speed box, I am now in the market.

P.S - Does it sound like gearbox? I cant think what else it would be seing as I am able to reverse.

Note that the rattling is the clutch and has always been like that. HKS twin plate.

EDIT: FOR ANYONE WITH SIMILAR SYMPTOMS, THIS TURNED OUT TO BE THE DIFF

Edited by Pig (see edit history)

Sounds like it could be a bearing maybe? It dosent sound good whatever it is. I would dump the trans oil and see if there is any metal shaving in it just to rule out the gearbox. I had a calibra once upon a time and shatterd the clutch. It would go forward but would go in reverse with no problems.

Not saying it will be the same for you but it would be good just rule it out:)

Sounds like it could be a bearing maybe? It dosent sound good whatever it is. I would dump the trans oil and see if there is any metal shaving in it just to rule out the gearbox. I had a calibra once upon a time and shatterd the clutch. It would go forward but would go in reverse with no problems.

Thats intersting... I will get it to a garage some time soon and have it pulled apart.

Ouch, sounds nasty. Did you have any warning before it happened?

Yes and no, I have been losing 3rd gear for quite a while now but when it went, it gave no warning. I changed from 1st to 2nd mid slide and it just let go.

Signature material right there :D This isn't going to rule out of Dragonball is it?

Hopefully not! Takes more than that to beat me!

Jamesy could be tempted to sell his box seperate to it going with the car.

Yep, Need to confirm its the box then I will be contacting him. Thanks!

How an earth? The clutch is spinning in the same direction + doing exactly the same thing regardless of whether your in a forward gear or reverse?

How an earth? The clutch is spinning in the same direction + doing exactly the same thing regardless of whether your in a forward gear or reverse?

I know!! To be honest I could make sence of if it either. The clutch plate was snaped in three and shouldn't of worked at all. I doubt this is the problem here though as this sort of thing dosent happen often.

Is this the Getrag 6 speed that you broke?

I thought they were pretty much bullet proof?

Yep, I had been losing 3rd for quite a while so think that may have been something to do with it.

Parts for the Getrag are rediculously expensive. Has synchro in 4th go on mine, with all associated bits and bobs and labour came to nearly £1800 :shock:

I know, very rare that they are a worthwhile rebuild. Also... They don't seem to last well if rebuilt.

They cope very well, but are not indestructible. Plenty of them let go if you read around.

I haven't read of many but it is certainly more common that people think.