PDA

View Full Version : Import Or UK Car?

Essex_RS
12-01-04, 19:02
Alright guys,

If I am looking to buy a Supra, whats the best way to go about it and which is better the UK TT or import cars?

Someone told me the insurance is alot more on imports?

Pro's / Cons?!

Cheers

Essex_RS

SkyJawa
12-01-04, 19:05
Have a look using http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/images/top_search.gif mate - this has been asked soooooooooooooo many times, you'll find loads of info, anything specific once you've had a look, post up. Theres a fair bit of info in the resources tab up top too!

Matt Harwood
12-01-04, 19:05
OH MY GOD!!!

Please do a quick search on this, there's tons of info on here and it's all ver opinionated.

They're both very good cars

/diplomacy :innocent:

Soonto"HAS"soop
12-01-04, 19:09
If no one else will say it then I will!!

UK'S ARE LARDY AND SLOW WITH DILDOS ON THE BUMPER!

Dude will be along shortly to second that!! :p :p

Ben..

Bobbeh
12-01-04, 19:14
Yes, please buy a J-Spec. :innocent:

Essex_RS
12-01-04, 19:43
Isn't insurance more expensive on imports?

Isn't the UK version a higher spec'd car generally?

Essex_RS :innocent:

SkyJawa
12-01-04, 19:50
Use the http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/images/top_search.gif Luke! Let it guide you........... :D

Seriously mate, all these q's can be answered by a good read through the threads that will come up on a search with "jspec vs uk" or whatever, and make your own decisions, theres pros and cons on each, just depends which one for you the pros matches yours needs best........

dude
12-01-04, 20:13
Many UK's are now being 'De-horned' thank god as a lot of pedestrians were injuring themselves on the frontal protrusions (pic at the end of post) unfortunatly we are seeing a lot of instances of rear intrusion in UK owners , this is normally caused by something like a milkfloat 'slipstreaming' the ugly bug and the UK then applying its one good trait the brakes and said milkfloat nters the rear at a great pace !!!!:D

Dude:flame Dev

michael
12-01-04, 20:16
The J-Spec is far superior, buy two ;)

Scooter
12-01-04, 21:38
Essex_RS, FWIW some people say the UK and Jap spec insurance is now the same and it may well be for some companies but from my actual experience of owning both the UK can be insured both easier and very much cheaper.

Also the banter on here about UK v J-spec is just that, banter. Both are extremely fast cars as standard (stock UK sub 14s 1/4 and true 160+ top end) IMO you won't be disappointed by either car.

Timwildman
12-01-04, 21:43
bet it moves fast than the original fitment (http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=194004) :D

If you want a younger car it's going to have to be j-spec or a 7year old uk....

which is heavier.....

dude
12-01-04, 21:45
Originally posted by Timwildman
bet it moves fast than the original fitment (http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=194004)

Kin right , but that wouldnt be hard , my mum moves faster than a UK !!!!!

Supragal
12-01-04, 21:46
Oh lordy lordy, it was only a matter of time before Dude found this one! :innocent:

Soonto"HAS"soop
12-01-04, 21:48
Originally posted by Soonto"HAS"soop
Dude will be along shortly to second that!! :p :p

Told Ya!!

All we need now is Chris Wilson to put a word in, and the thread is finished! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Ben..

dude
12-01-04, 21:49
Originally posted by Soonto"HAS"soop
Told Ya!!

All we need now is Chris Wilson to put a word in, and the thread is finished! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Ben..

He doesnt need to .......... see my sig !!!!!!!;)

Soonto"HAS"soop
12-01-04, 21:50
Originally posted by dude
He doesnt need to .......... see my sig !!!!!!!;)

THIS THREAD IS OVER!

Ben..

Bobbeh
12-01-04, 21:59
Just having a laugh at your sig.. if you had better traction control (uk spec) you might be able to go faster in the conditions :D

Soonto"HAS"soop
12-01-04, 22:06
Originally posted by Bobbeh
Just having a laugh at your sig.. if you had better traction control (uk spec) you might be able to go faster in the conditions :D

Yes, but I have a facelift, so have the so called "better" traction, it's still crap, and still gets turned off.

Much more fun and impressive power sliding out of corners and from standstill. :D :D Plus J-Specs are lighter so are easier to do it! :p :p :D :D :thumbs:

Ben..

Timwildman
12-01-04, 22:09

MKIV supra traction control phase test

1)J-spec traction control, uk traction control, J-spec facelift traction control. In less than 40 word describe the benefits of the 3 systems. Points will be awarded for fastest launch, and 60ft reaction time.

2) Most likely system to save your arse in the wet.....

Soonto"HAS"soop
12-01-04, 22:11
Originally posted by Timwildman
MKIV supra traction control phase test

1)J-spec traction control, uk traction control, J-spec facelift traction control. In less than 40 word describe the benefits of the 3 systems. Points will be awarded for fastest launch, and 60ft reaction time.

2) Most likely system to save your arse in the wet.....

1. I don't bloody care, it's crap I turn it off.

2. RLTC

Ben..

dude
12-01-04, 22:45

Not fast enough to outrun Plod though !!!!!!

Bobbeh
12-01-04, 22:47
You'd be suprised actually John ;)

Terminator
12-01-04, 23:07
The problem with both JDM and UK traction control systems is they both have a fixed time delay before they do anything. ie once the systems detect a difference in front and rear wheel speeds there is a fixed time before either system does anything about it.

Both systems work by shutting a butterfly in the throttle body cutting the power not very subtle.

The UK system also adds progressive pressure to the brake system until the difference in wheel speeds is back to normal.

The time delay is fine if you are driving slowly as not too much ground is covered. But if you are moving fast a lot has happened by the time the systems cuts in, and does it cut in!!!, often killing power too much and leaving you floundering.

The best thing to do with either system is turn itoff or disable it completely.

They are both great cars, you will enjoy which ever you get. But just remember you enjoy a JDM car more.;)

Gordon F
12-01-04, 23:46
Buy an import. The UK cars are shite :)

dude
12-01-04, 23:49
Originally posted by Gordon F

I like this man !!!!!!!!!

Dude :flame Dev

Bobbeh
13-01-04, 00:22
Originally posted by Gordon F

Thats why you find 90% of J-spec owners spending k's trying to get their pitiful J-specs up to our standard. You make me sick :D

dude
13-01-04, 00:25
Thats why you find 90% of J-spec owners spending k's trying to get their pitiful J-specs up to our standard. You make me sick :D

What standard would that be bobbeh dude ????? fancy going for a spin ?? Sorry but you know the rules I am allowed to take the Piss , how long is it now ??

Bobbeh
13-01-04, 00:26
40 or so days :)

dude
13-01-04, 00:26

Must be nice driving along with the wind in your hair .... oh sorry forgot bobbeh dude you cant do that either can you !!!!:)

Bobbeh
13-01-04, 00:27
Chest hair fella.. we know the reason why you bought it :D

dude
13-01-04, 00:30
40 or so days :)

Have you asked for your license back and found out about booking tests etc , also get your lessons sorted with BSM (they use Corsas but im sure you will get used to the power )The theory is dead easy the extended test isant ( i failed mine .......for speeding ) , not long now though dude , bet youve had a little go though dude havent you ?????

dude:flame Dev

Bobbeh
13-01-04, 00:32
Actually, I think its more than 40 days, they're supposed to sending you proviosnal license applictation stuff 56 days before end of ban thingy, so i should be getting that soon, then I will go with BSM. Went with them b4, they're good peeps. Expesnive, but good. I'm not too worried about the test. Just all the hazard perception crap and other bits they've since thrown in. Grr such a joke. I dont think I can apply for a test until I get a license number, and I need that from the DVLA. :(

dude
13-01-04, 00:39
Actually, I think its more than 40 days, they're supposed to sending you proviosnal license applictation stuff 56 days before end of ban thingy, so i should be getting that soon, then I will go with BSM. Went with them b4, they're good peeps. Expesnive, but good. I'm not too worried about the test. Just all the hazard perception crap and other bits they've since thrown in. Grr such a joke. I dont think I can apply for a test until I get a license number, and I need that from the DVLA. :(

Wanna hear the Joke B ?????? Your license number is the same !!!!! Think about it your No is you date of birth all mixed up !!!!with the first bit of your surname !!!!!! its just another way they F**k you :devil:

dude
13-01-04, 00:40
yOU CAN ASK FOR YOUR LICENSE 3 MONTHS BEFORE THE BAN ENDS , dont think they SEND you anything , check it out dude cause i wished i had !!!

Jake
13-01-04, 00:44
Must be nice driving along with the wind in your hair .... oh sorry forgot bobbeh dude you cant do that either can you Sure he can

dude
13-01-04, 00:47
Originally posted by Jake
Sure he can

Not fair Jake !!!! How can you take the Piss like that you know full well his dad took off the stabalisers 2 months ago !!!!:eek:

Bobbeh
13-01-04, 01:03
Cheers John, I'll check into that. I went to the DVLA's site and they said they automatically send you the forms 56 days before, it wouldnt suprise me if they did fcuk all tbh. Grr.

I kinda thought the license number would be the same, cos all I'm doing is re-earning it back. I just need that number! :) I'll give them a call.

Bobbeh
13-01-04, 01:05
Not fair Jake !!!! How can you take the Piss like that you know full well his dad took off the stabalisers 2 months ago !!!!:eek:
I dont mind John, my bike has loads more bells and tassles :p

Matt Harwood
13-01-04, 08:32
I dont mind John, my bike has loads more bells and tassles :p

Yeah, but the pedals don't spool up as quick!

AJI
13-01-04, 08:46
OK here's me sticking up for our UK-specs once again....

If you can find a UK-spec 6-speed then you are sorted, these cars are much the sought after model for numerous reasons as you will have no doubt found out in your search of this forum.

If you buy j-spec you be spending money on things like brake upgrades, headlight upgrades, wheel/tyre upgrades etc. etc. just to get up to the same standard as the uk-specs. Unless you can find a j-spec that has already had money spent on it.... but 9 times out of 10 people want a completely standard car when they buy.

It's coming upto spring shortly where the second hand car market picks up and new 2nd hand cars appear all over the place. If you can't find a uk-spec now just wait a few months and no doubt there will be a few for sale.

All these j-specs are flooding the uk with Supras.... a few years ago they were a rare car !!!!

:p

Well there you go..... time for me to get slated by the outnumbering import owners out there !

:conf:

Essex_RS
13-01-04, 08:49
Everyone has different opinions by the sounds of things!!

Problem is when advestised on autotrader they never state import or export!

Can anyone recommend a supra dealer to try and buy a uk spec 6 speed from?

What does everyone pay on insurance?

I have been quoted 1600.00 fully comp
I am 22 with 2 years ncb? on a uk spec car?

Essex_RS

Willson
13-01-04, 10:03
Most people don't say import or auto on ads, or 100k miles, or brown etc..

If it's a UK car, it is worth more so WILL be in the ad. It's worth more because of the better brakes, fuelling, cheaper insurance, better response from dealers, some extra toys/bits, better history.

Jap cars are lighter with quicker spooling turbos - Fact :baa:

Don't know about UK cars, but
http://www.japanese-car-imports.co.uk/ are a good place to look at supras. They will let you take a few cars out with no pressure. Defo worth a trip.

cashpoint
13-01-04, 12:57
I'm pretty sure that the larger brakes were on option on j specs as mine has them as well as the little sticker on the door frame saying what tyres to use and it says 17inch not 16 which would have ment the small brakes too.

As for insurance if you shop around there are some insurers that quote j spec at the same level as UK spec though some firms don't insure j spec these are also the firms that are expensive. When i was looking at renewing mine some firms wouldn't quote but in the end i got FC for 530 but i'm 29 now last year it was 750 ish

Fact is UK Spec are high speced but that adds to there weight the only difference between my j Spec and a UK is a UK would have leather heated front seats. Which i don't like as sitting on leather in the summer can fing hurt.
J SPEC RULE :p

Scooter
13-01-04, 13:26
Originally posted by Essex_RS

Problem is when advestised on autotrader they never state import or export!

Can anyone recommend a supra dealer to try and buy a uk spec 6 speed from?

As mentioned it normally mentions if its a uk car but for visual ID purposes all UK's have the bonnet scoop / intake and front headlight washers (commonly refered to by j-spec owners as dildo's) no j-specs had the scoop as standard although there are a some that have had it added.
so dildos + scoop = Uk car (99.9% )

Some uk cars do turn up at general dealers and sometimes at reasonable money but they tend to be sold very quickly.

IMO there are still some one/two owner from new cars out there that will come up for sale at bargain prices at some point.........

V
13-01-04, 13:46
If you buy a Uk Supe be able to choose from lots of nice colours like RED or WHITE :( ,

Although if you get the far superior Jspec you get a more satisfying choice like BLUE:cool:

:D :D :gallery:

Bobbeh
13-01-04, 13:50
Originally posted by V
Although if you get the far superior Jspec you get a more satisfying choice like BLUE:cool:

Dont forget Brown

:thumbs:

Supragal
13-01-04, 14:11
At the end of the day, if you've got money burning a hole in your pocket and you want a 6 speed you're gonna end up with a Jap car.

UK 6 speeds= rocking horse shit.

Essex_RS
13-01-04, 14:42
I wouldn't mind an auto, but if start increasing the power what can the auto box take? What are the bens / downfalls of auto / manual?

Essex_RS :)

Supragal
13-01-04, 15:01
Don't worry bout that, they're all good boxes. Lots of the high power cars here are autos.

Essex_RS
13-01-04, 15:32
What does the auto box drive like?

Which is more reliable?

Cheers

Essex_RS

cashpoint
13-01-04, 15:52
like a ghost is changing gears.

actuall very well but it's a personal thing as to auto or man box

AJI
13-01-04, 16:44
Originally posted by cashpoint
Fact is UK Spec are high speced but that adds to there weight the only difference between my j Spec and a UK is a UK would have leather heated front seats. Which i don't like as sitting on leather in the summer can fing hurt.
J SPEC RULE :p

Don't forget that the uk-specs come with higher bhp and torque than j-specs which overcomes the weight difference.

:D

(now I wait to hear argument about faster spooling turbos etc.)

Steve W2
13-01-04, 17:22
Originally posted by AJI
Don't forget that the uk-specs come with higher bhp and torque than j-specs which overcomes the weight difference.

You forgot about the famous agreement us J-speccers like to bang on about!:D

To be honest I have driven both cars and like the heated seats on the UK spec and the very good brakes but for the extra money, poorer condition (years of salt laden roads) and USUALLY higher mileage I'd much rather have a J-spec.

At the end of the day you could buy a 6 speed Jspec fit some Brembo's to it and probably still save a few quid over a UK spec.

Either way you can't lose.:)

Timwildman
13-01-04, 17:32
Originally posted by AJI

I thought J-specs had more torque?spec link (http://www.mkiv.co.nz/specs.htm) could be wrong. Like cashpoint said, mine has 17's as standard as well as the bigger brakes, only thing missing is the dildos and seat heaters. Did the uk ever have foldie in mirrors, and lazy boy triptronic?

Edited to say: T
The link is very useful, as you can check year against chassis number, and trim spec etc.

Bobbeh
13-01-04, 17:47
Originally posted by Steve W2
To be honest I have driven both cars and like the heated seats on the UK spec and the very good brakes but for the extra money, poorer condition (years of salt laden roads) and USUALLY higher mileage I'd much rather have a J-spec.

Either way you can't lose.:)

Yes, this is what it comes down to.. most people (imho) end up with a J-spec because there is MUCH more choice when it comes to mileage, colour, auto/manual and the tend to be cheaper. The whole reason imports came over was to undercut the prices of the UK car market and for good reason.

However, there are still great UK examples about with low miles and that are in good condition, you just have to be patient.

I wouldnt worry about the road contidion and salt, as the UK's are all undersealed whereas j-specs are not, so if you bring a j-spec over without treating it I bet you're gonna end up with more probs than a UK that has been treated.

Again with the UK's you usually have some sort of dealer history, and imports are harder to track, but its all risk at the end of the day and if you can afford to go for a car you dont know as much about.

But you'll be happy with either, I guarantee it.

Essex_RS
13-01-04, 21:07
So whats the best model of J spec cars or closest to the uk car spec?

Is it the GZ?

Essex_RS

Jake
13-01-04, 21:19
Originally posted by Essex_RS
So whats the best model of J spec cars or closest to the uk car spec?
Is it the GZ?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/imports/differences.html

All the info you want is on here somewhere mate, have a look around for yourself