The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another one bites the dust . . .

Bob

. . . turbo that is.

Having only just replaced my turbos with another 2nd hand set 8 months ago, on my way back from the Turbofit meet my car spat out my 1st turbo :(

Driving along off boost, went to accelerate gently and no boost til about 3200 revs - got me worrying. So I laid off the throttle and carried along off boost. Next time I tried to accelerate, there was absolutley no boost until no. 2 took over at 4000 revs. Also, the exhaust is notably louder.

I've checked all the pipes and they're fine - I'm going to take the top pipework off later, but I'm fairly sure no.1 is dead.

Ah well, at least the wife has given me the go-ahead to go single now! :D

the proper techies will correct me if I am wrong, but if you have lost your first turbo then the second will not boost up at all as all the boost just blows out the dead first turbo.

I would get it checked to see if its actually blown. Single turbo is a big step, allow at least £4k minimum for the turbo and work to make it right.

JB

the proper techies will correct me if I am wrong, but if you have lost your first turbo then the second will not boost up at all as all the boost just blows out the dead first turbo.

JB

I think that would be the case if it blew at higher revs, i.e. when #2 was running or pre-spooling but I think at lower revs it would be seperated off from #2 and just exit via the exhaust. Hopefully someone can clear this up?

Just out of interest whats your mileage and how long at BPU mate?

94,000 miles to date - first turbos blew at 0.8 bar with both cats in, and completely stock apart from a cat-back exhaust.

Been *almost* BPU for about 3 months running at 0.9bar (1 bar restrictor ring slightly too small), and about 3 weeks running with the boost controller at 1.2bar.

Sorry to here that, as it happens i got a lovely Single setup for you. :) :eyebrows:

Wheels are already in motion mate ;) A certain member may be upgrading his or her certain turbo to a larger one, and I may well be purchasing said turbo along with a few extras ;) :D

I think that would be the case if it blew at higher revs, i.e. when #2 was running or pre-spooling but I think at lower revs it would be seperated off from #2 and just exit via the exhaust. Hopefully someone can clear this up?

94,000 miles to date - first turbos blew at 0.8 bar with both cats in, and completely stock apart from a cat-back exhaust.

Been *almost* BPU for about 3 months running at 0.9bar (1 bar restrictor ring slightly too small), and about 3 weeks running with the boost controller at 1.2bar.

Branners is quite correct. No boost from number one means it's impossible to get boost from number 2 without a lot of none standard jiggery pokery. I reckon I could fix it.... :)

You were planning on going single anyway weren't you, albeit a little later 0n :D

Well, if it has blown then it's already single in it's own slightly crappy way :D

Yeah, I was looking to go single before but funds wouldn't allow, but now things are looking somewhat more rosy for the future :)

Bloody lucky really, if I'd bothered to finish installing my WBO2 sensor yesterday it may have been damaged when/if the turbo blew :)

Branners is quite correct. No boost from number one means it's impossible to get boost from number 2 without a lot of none standard jiggery pokery. I reckon I could fix it.... :)

Hmmm, reading Ian C's guide to the sequential system it may be the IACV. I'll strip the top pipework down in the morning (wifey has forbidden me to spend any more time on the car today! :( ) and have a root around.

Ah Bob, sorry to hear this buddy but I suppose in good time and readiness for your single setup! :)

I was NOWHERE near your car, let's make that clear to everyone in case they blame me! Although I did shake a few hands today so watch out for the 'Sheefa's a right twat' threads ;) Good luck bud and hope it gets sorted. If you need a hand with anything, please shout. I certainly owe you a few favours mate.

Bloody Valve Stem Seals......if it's that on mine..........a very unhappy Sheefa :(

Greg

Well the good news is that it I was wrong - looks like the C-clip has come off the arm on the EGBV actuator.

The bad news (kind of) is that there is quite a lot of oil in the intercooler pipework and the turbo outlet pipes from #1. At least I can use this as an excuse with the wife though :sly:

IACV arm 1.JPG

IACV arm 2.JPG

oily intercooler pipe.JPG

That's the exhaust gas bypass valve (EGBV). Is it open or shut? if it's permanantly open you'll vent loads of exhaust through it instead of #1 turbo until #2 is brought online. You'll see some boost on #1 but not a lot, is that the case?

Oh and I wouldn't worry about the oil quantities and no you don't need an expensive catch can setup, before someone descends upon you.

-Ian

That's the exhaust gas bypass valve (EGBV). Is it open or shut? if it's permanantly open you'll vent loads of exhaust through it instead of #1 turbo until #2 is brought online. You'll see some boost on #1 but not a lot, is that the case?

Oh and I wouldn't worry about the oil quantities and no you don't need an expensive catch can setup, before someone descends upon you.

-Ian

That sounds about right, the 1st turbo would get up to about 0.1bar or so before #2 took over. At first I thought it might just be down to #2 pre-spooling but I guess not :)