The mkiv Supra Owners Club

alloy pulleys

Guest laz

hello.... just fitted some alloy underdrive pulleys to the old soop, did not think i would notice much of a difference! but i was wrong! ......where the n/a has a bit of a flat spot between gears, that is now gone and the pick up is quicker... i weighed the pulleys before fitting and again with the old steel ones, so far i`ve took out 2kg of rotating mass and i have still to fit the crank pulley yet which will be another 2kg off.....i would say it is a great mod for any soop, a must have for the n/a owners........im now looking at getting rid of the heavy old fan for some knlowes

free up some more power

regards laz

n/a

decated ss exhaust

custom 100mm intake k&n

alloy engine pulleys

18" split rim chrome alloys

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good job the crank bolt did not undo then, i will put that back on ebay or use it as a paper weight lol..... looks like a boost logic pulley is the way foward then!!! the other pulleys are ok and line up perfectly, that was my main worry....what about kenlowe fans ,anybody got them fitted????

Call me an old cynic, but I think Toyota may have had a better idea of what they were doing than a bloke in his shed with a cnc machine (ebay tat ones) :)

The CDF ones should be fine though, as they're just lighter rather than smaller. Wouldn't bother with the undampened crank pulley though - for the 2-3bhp it may free up, it's not worth the risk imho.

The ad says "inertia weight dampening". This sounds like advertising department speak for it's a heavy lump of metal, but not as heavy as Toyotas effort. The stock one is a tuned resonance elastomer damped unit. I *suspect* these aren't, and from the photos I am pretty sure I am right. The way they differ is very relevant to how they will perform. Anyone asked the relevant question?

Hiya Bob, whats the issue with them then? why would the block give out? Just trying to gain some info

cheers

Every time someone says crank pulley it turns into a hotlink to a page on here that tells you everything you wanted to know (and quite a lot you didn't) about crank pulleys. Especially the bit about how they stop crank flexing and stuff.

-Ian

Oh effin hell!! Just bought 1 off e-bay to swap mine as it may be squeeking itself to destruction. Anyone have a "Stock" pulley i could buy please...

Rick

I still have all the stock ones if you want them, open to offers on it. Postage may be a little bit due to weight but not to much. Don't know what their worth. I'll post pictures when the camera is charged

if he's still got his stock crank pulley and fitted a smaller water pump pulley won't his pump be made to run faster not slower?

Yes, it will.

So, do underdrive pulley sets work by replacing the stockers by same diameter ali pulleys and a smaller crank pulley, or by replacing all the pulleys with larger ones and keeping the crank pulley the same?

Yes, it will.

So, do underdrive pulley sets work by replacing the stockers by same diameter ali pulleys and a smaller crank pulley, or by replacing all the pulleys with larger ones and keeping the crank pulley the same?

not sure..........it all seems like a lot of faffing around for not very much gain to me..........but they do look bling!

An underdrive pulley set has a smaller crank pulley and the same sized accessory pulleys. This makes the accessories turn slower compared to stock. They are made out of aluminium, so yes, they are lighter, they look nice, but as to what benefit they actually provide? Not a lot :) And the link to the crank pulley FAQ entry should put you off a solid undampened one. It did me.

I've got the lightweight accessory pulleys though because they are a shiny blue :D

-Ian