The mkiv Supra Owners Club

"Lance" alignment settings or...

Thorin

Something else?

Lance alignment settings here http://mkiv.com/techarticles/lance_alignment/index.html

I know from reading some threads a few people seem to disagree with those settings.

I also know JOT_ie for example posted his settings here http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=88110 which differ significantly so I'd be interested in his reasoning behind those.

What suspension setup are you using Thorin?

This guy seems to know his stuff http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/ Maybe post in his forum and see what he recommends.

I went for the stock settings the Hunter alignment machine had at one of his trusted centres and posted the results on the WIM forum http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=512

Apparently he sets the Geometries for Phoenix Motorsports too.

I've only tried 3 settings, wildly out, stock and the Lance ones - I like the Lance setup the best, seems to work well on road and track.

I'm sure there are other tweeks that can be made to suit each individual setup better but as a general guide it's pretty good.

How long have you been using the Lance settings Michael? Have you noticed any adverse tyre wear and also what feels different from the stock settings to the Lance ones?

I might try them next time I go for a check.

Good question... at least 2 years.... no issues with tyre wear at all, very even across the tyre with only a slight bias towards the inner edges. The stock setup seemed to wear heavily on the inside, it used to shock me sometimes as the outer tread was still very legal.

As for the feel differences - it's hard to say exactly but it just feels more planted, slightly more progressive on the limit and generally nicer :)

I have tried both the stock settings and the lance settings. Both of them I personally found to be rubbish.

The settings I posted are the ones I am currently running and the car feels 1000 times better

I cant vouch for tyre wear yet though as the setup was done only a few weeks ago.

However I will add that these were specifically for 18" rims on a j-spec supra.

When the alignment was being done the service manager showed me the setup choices he had available to him. He had options for many different size rims. 16" 17" 18" 19" etc.....with appropriate settings for each

John

Good question... at least 2 years.... no issues with tyre wear at all, very even across the tyre with only a slight bias towards the inner edges. The stock setup seemed to wear heavily on the inside, it used to shock me sometimes as the outer tread was still very legal.

As for the feel differences - it's hard to say exactly but it just feels more planted, slightly more progressive on the limit and generally nicer :)

Sounds good to me :) Going to give them ago next time.

I might ask Tony on the WIM forum nearer the time what he thinks about them also, as Martin seems to think the rear settings need tweeking http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=800150&postcount=17

I have tried both the stock settings and the lance settings. Both of them I personally found to be rubbish.

The settings I posted are the ones I am currently running and the car feels 1000 times better

I cant vouch for tyre wear yet though as the setup was done only a few weeks ago.

without meaning to sound rude, have you just gone with what the guy told you or is this a thought out decision? Anyone who says toyota's stock settings are rubbish should be taken with a pinch of salt IMO ;)

Just curious as to the technical reasons why your setup is better other than the fact that you think it feels better. Any track experience?

Rubbish in what way? Not as cool for posing down the high street on blingy wheels or when used properly?

I haven't seen your other post with 'better' settings but what changes did they make?

You seem to have missed an importand point

The stock settings are for 17" rims or 16" depending on the car and year

I found the stock settings rubbish running on non-stock 18" rims with wider than stock tyres. That was my experience only.

You also seem to have missed the fact that these settings are only in use for a couple of weeks

And by the way the settings I posted were from a Toyota service centre

By all means take it as a pinch of salt if you wish, but I reall dont think that bad-mouthing me for expressing an opinion is at all constructive

John

I found that with the lance alignment I got excessive tyre wear on the fronts (on the inner edge) and with the stock alignment excessive tyre wear on the rear to the point that they were worn almost to the canvas on the inner edges with about 4 mmm or so thread left on the outer edges.

At all times the car felt very ligh on the front end.

On a windy day I found the car felt so incredibly light that a gust of wind (not particularly strong ) could be enough to unbalance the car.

Under hard acceleration changing gears would induce a rear end wiggle causing the back to step out a bit. Traction light would come on. Thats in a straight line btw

I did manage to drive a 2001 completely stock supra tt and the difference was absolutely amazing. Mine felt like a shopping trolley by comparison.

With the new settings mine feels almost exactly like that stock supra.

John

Settings for road use and minimal wear, or for track use and maximum grip? The 2 are totally and utterly different. Stock ride height or lowered? Stock tyre size or bigger diameter and lower profile. Stock spring and anti roll bar rates, or different to stock? Every set up is a compromise!

Yeah I know but glad I've got your attention Chris ;)

Shall we say, "fast road use" then? A little uneven wear I could cope with but not keen on having edges bald with plenty of meat on the rest...

stock j-spec bilsteins and springs... With 245/40/18 and 275/35/18. Sorry not the stock 17's Chris! :D

Mine is lowered a bit and has some crazy Ohlins suspension on it, 18"s 235*40 up front and 265*35 at the rear. Stock toyota settings work for me. The fronts wear on the inner faste than the outer but it's manageable by running 36psi up front.

The rears have always worn the centre faster than the edges so I run 28psi at the back to combat this :D

-Ian

Mine is lowered a bit and has some crazy Ohlins suspension on it, 18"s 235*40 up front and 265*35 at the rear. Stock toyota settings work for me. The fronts wear on the inner faste than the outer but it's manageable by running 36psi up front.

The rears have always worn the centre faster than the edges so I run 28psi at the back to combat this :D

-Ian

Thanks Ian. Don't know whether to just go with stock settings or the Lance ones. Think I'll have a search on supraforums later for the general consensus on there.

edit: what am I saying, it's not like they have many corners to go around is it.

Anyone else have an opinion? Hoping to get this sorted this weekend.

Where are you going for it sorting? (noticed you live in west yorkshire, i'm in south yorkshire) I've been after advice and a decent, confident place to take the supra for months! My Geo is WAY off ATM

I know nothing at all about this subject and don't want to be ripped off etc

Where are you going for it sorting? (noticed you live in west yorkshire, i'm in south yorkshire) I've been after advice and a decent, confident place to take the supra for months! My Geo is WAY off ATM

I know nothing at all about this subject and don't want to be ripped off etc

Thought I'd go try this place... http://www.gordonstyres.co.uk/pages/gordons_wakefield.htm

After doing a search there also one at Mirfield that michael mentioned he took his too also. Might try there if Gordons don't come across that knowledgeable when I go see them.

I went to the Wakefield branch of Gordons. I found out that one of my rear wheels was way out and it took the guy nearly 30 minutes to free the bolt to adjust it. He reckons it hadn't been adjusted in years. This meant that the guy who last did my alignment lied to me about adjusting all four wheels.

Thumbs up from me.

I went to the Wakefield branch of Gordons. I found out that one of my rear wheels was way out and it took the guy nearly 30 minutes to free the bolt to adjust it. He reckons it hadn't been adjusted in years. This meant that the guy who last did my alignment lied to me about adjusting all four wheels.

Thumbs up from me.

Good to know, did you just get the stock alignment settings done?

Looking at JOT's settings further they're even more puzzling, he appears to have gone for positive camber on the front, when the stock camber is -0.5 and the Lance settings suggest even more negative camber.

Plus isn't wheel size largely irrelevant? Surely rolling radius is the most important thing.

edit: and gone for more rear toe, again when the lance ones suggest less.

I tested all 5 settings I was advised to go for ON THE TRACK, see pictures in my garage, and if you need more of a superbly balanced car I can supply. .

Lance 4/10

toyota 3/10

Rally expert 2/10

Wheel alignment centre 1/10

Marc Ludemann ex porsche race engineer 10/10. His settings were not unlike JOT settings, which BTW were listed on the guys computer system, not made up of imagination. When a car is setup that i can catch it after a major error @ 110mph on multi cambering road @ the ring, it excellent end of story.

Adjusting camber without castor corrections is pointless, it will never be right. You obviously have never been in a well set up Supra. .