The mkiv Supra Owners Club

suspension woes banished - new alignment specs

jot_ie

As some of you will know I have had a real pain in the ass time with the suspension/handling of my supra over the last couple of years

I have had so many alignments done I have lost count.

there have been speculations about worn bushes, damaged control arms, worn out shocks and dodgy springs.

Last tuesday I was finally put in touch with a toyota service centre here in Dublin (that I didnt even know existed).

they tested the entire suspension on the car and found everything to be in perfect condition. I was kind of hoping that they would find something

What they did say was that the alignment on the car was rubbish and that the wrong alignment figures were being used, especially for the size of the wheels, 18" rims.

They have a full laser alignment system, brand new and top of the range. More importantly it has all the jap spec cars on its database as well as alignment specs for different size wheels

They realigned the car with what they say are the correct specs for the size of the wheels.

The difference is absolutely amazing.

I never would have believed it possible

The car is rock solid on the road. The front end lightness is gone and the car feels very solidly planted. The rear end wiggle is gone and it feels incredibly confident.

I will be keeping an eye on tyre wear and other little niggles, and let you know, but for the moment it feels perfect.

I am enclosing the specs they used for the alignment.

Its very different from anything I personally have seen before.

If you want to try it though you do so at your own risk, and remember its specifically for 18"rims.

(in honour of the occasion I have called it the JOT alignment spec) hope i dont have occasion to regret this

Regards

John

jot alignment.jpg

The nominal is what you are trying to achieve. ie the settings for camber,caster toe etc. The min and max are tolerances.

The garage tries to ensure that the measurements adhere to the nominal as close as possible without going outside the min and max

John

So do you have a print out of what they managed to get your car set to?

Also some info on your car - what suspension.... significantly lowered etc?

Trying to work out what settings to get the guy that does my cars to use when I finally take it to him - alignment has been playing on the back of my mind for a while as I've not had it done.

Cheers,

Brian.

I do indeed have a printout

No way to get it into the computer at the moment

My daughter away for the day with the camera. I willl photograph the sheet later

the suspension is completely stock

stock arms, shocks, springs......not lowered at all

wheels are 18" kosei

The shocks on mine are REAS, ie the front two shocks linked together with hydraulic lines to a central reservoir

rears similar

If I were you I would get some advice on these settings before using them

For me it was "i'll try anything at this stage"

because of all the handling problems. the stock settings just did not work

OK thanks John.

No I don't intend to tell the guy what settings to use as I trust him...... just give him some samples from other people that they're happy with and compare that to his own computer database that goes with his 4-wheel alignment rig - see what he thinks and how the differences would affect the car before deciding on the final settings to use on my 18" wheeled / too low car :)

Cheers,

Brian.

after purchasing new suspension, trying different wheels and tyres, doing a full alignment and latterly buying new rear upper suspension arms for nearly £400 i'm at a loss to my handling problem which seems to be the same as yours.

i'll certainly be taking a printout of these settings with me to try out if the new arms don't do the trick.