The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Carbonisation killed my engine!

vvteye

Quick history: See the link in my sig for the car in question but I bought it in February on 90,000 mles.

In March it had a full service including flushing and change of oil. After 2500 miles and on return from my fortnights holiday in June (giving the oil time to set????) the enine sounded rough and it was missing. I will admit to driving it for another fortnight albeit on any boost the engine was even less responsive than on an inch of pedal. (I now assume the occasional sudden degradation would be down to sticking valves). So off to the garage.

On examination with MkIV Suprastore compression was lost in 5 and reduced in 4.

On opening the engine they found what I would descibe as a coalmine!.

The result of this was a number of bent, loose valves, and so on. (I assume Martin will fill us in on more technical details if questions arise!!!) The lower block may be able to get away with honing a couple of cylinders and the pistons are ok. The bottom line is that the engine needs a total rebuild and will end up costing around £3,500.

Now I am over the cost shock at least I will be getting back a T plated VVTI with 0 miles on the clock.

So... are there lessons to be learnt. Is this the result of poor oil change routine, the lack of a turbo timer etc? Anyone with a history on this car? It lived most of it's life in Plymouth.

And before you all suggest it.... I can't afford to go Single at this moment in time and can't afford to upgrade the pistons either unless I am forced (or persuaded)!

Here are the pictures that you are dying to see:

DSC_0206.jpg DSC_0213.jpg DSC_0207.jpg DSC_0211.jpg DSC_0208.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i've never seen one that clogged up before :eek: So what does martin think caused this?

Neither he or his team had ever seen one as bad.

I think he puts it down to a history of lack of oil changes (crap service history). I'm wondering if this is what happens if you don't let the engine cool down after hammering it. The car is BPU but there was no turbo timer!

Martin?

have you or can you get a picture of inside the oil filler cap?

I'd like to see how bad this area looks on a engine thats this clogged up this bad, as it may help me and others when looking for one.......

Martin took tyhe picture. I looked at the filler cap to see if it was head gasket and as far as I recall it looked fine. Even the oil on the dipstick looked reasonably clear!

ouch, having similar prob. cant decide what to do with the rebuild at the moment. will be interested to see if you uprate the internals!

I am upgrading the bolts butnever predict wanting more than 500 BHP so will hold back on the pistons if I don't end up needing a rebore. If this is the case then I will uprate them but that's an extra £550 +.

One more thing... the oil strainer was completely caked except for about 15%. MArtin said this would seriously reduce the oil flow and cause major localised overheating.

wonder why toyota went for a strainer arrangement and not a simple pickup pipe?

Anyway for those that are curious you can see one part of this area on your own car. If you remove your filler cap look to the right and shine a light down and you'll see the level of deposits.........

Anyway for those that are curious you can see one part of this area on your own car. If you remove your filler cap look to the right and shine a light down and you'll see the level of deposits.........

great advice i was gonna ask can i check this...cause i dont want that happening!! say someone spots a lot of build up, will one of those oil flushs help remove this build up, the type where you run engine for 15mins at 2000rpm then drain. (though you may have to do 3 or so flushes for that amount!!)

HOLY COAL MINE!! never seen anything that bad in me life!!!

Build up on Cam bearing caps and valley is probably from localised over heating due to poor oil and maybe coolant contamination, what condition was the crank and oil strainer in??? also, was the compression down to sticking valves or maybe slight HG leak on coolant allowing small oil/coolant contamination..martin???

I've seen some pretty neglected and abused engines in my time.

...but this one wins by a margin.

What did they run it on FFS, lard?

I'd be tempted to forgo this engine and use it only for spare parts.

I wouldn't trust a single bearing out of that mess. Cronenberg would be proud to use it in his films.

Sorry to see that. :( What was the service history like?? Did it have any?!

It had a a full service in January 2005 then done 8000 miles before I bought it (or so I was told - given a 3 month warrantyfrom torque imports). No paperwork at all and torque were reluctant to ever give me access to the previous owner or service garage preferring to act as intermediary...

*Cough* Single......

That's what the missus is threatening I'll be!!!

With the BPU as it stands Martin is suggesting I'll see 400+ bhp when it's completed and as it leaves only another £20K of components to go wrong it'll be like having a brand new car!