Carbonisation killed my engine!

vvteye

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John car is currently back in for the 1000 mile service. It will be back to him hopefully by the end of the week with a full power run on the rolling road.

A courtesy car was given to John on both occasions, and we had the car picked up in one instance Free of charge.

John shoudl be able to comment here next week when he gets his rather nice VVt-i back with full power, which as you can see by the engine, it never had!

Sounds like you provide an excellent service Martin. Too bad you're so far away, or I'd have mine over in Jiffy. I'll be interested to see the dyno and results of the 1000 mile service inspection.

Just heard from Martin today and my Aristo 1996 tt engine is in pretty much the same state as vvteyes, he is going to post some pictures, makes me wonder how many other people are driving cars with similar probs, bear in mind that my car never failed or even sounded bad in my opinion, only reason it went to Martin's was for oil and coolant leak, oil leak was minor, car drove well, it had done 98,000 though, but i suppose the £0000 cost plus the £3000 i paid for it means a reasonable price for a good second hand car that used to cost £40,000 and engine will be tip top, beware people, when they go it is not cheap!!!

• 3 months later...

just read this .god it had me panicing. just checked my 2 motors both seem fine and have no lumps of crap visible.you can see the fin lines on the bottom of casing red internals on vvti and oil is like new on both the 55k mile supra and on the 115k mile vvti aristo. should there be any grime at all there seems to be a thin film of grime around the side walls of the cover just under oil cap. am i being paraniod or should it be so clean that you could eat food off it.neither engine is worse than other

• 2 months later...

Mine was pretty bad, once upon a time. I had my tubbies upgraded by MaxGT (who are no longer trading), and Paul was horrified by the state of my engine. He took it apart and cleaned it right up, and it seems to have been fine ever since.

I have pictures of the state of the engine in the MaxGT website. I should note that they are no longer trading, and the phone numbers in the pages are fictitious. But I kept a copy of the site in case anyone was ever interested in seeing carbonised engines or the work that was done. (It also shows a nice shot with the oil cap off.)

P.S. I now get my oil changed *at least* every 6K miles.

Mine was pretty bad, once upon a time. I had my tubbies upgraded by MaxGT (who are no longer trading), and Paul was horrified by the state of my engine. He took it apart and cleaned it right up, and it seems to have been fine ever since.

I have pictures of the state of the engine in the MaxGT website. I should note that they are no longer trading, and the phone numbers in the pages are fictitious. But I kept a copy of the site in case anyone was ever interested in seeing carbonised engines or the work that was done. (It also shows a nice shot with the oil cap off.)

P.S. I now get my oil changed *at least* every 6K miles.

that was a good read, it was a pretty shocking sate before hand! any idea how long the turbo's had been leaking oil for?

For at least a year, since I noticed the leak shortly after buying the car. I had a lot of varying advice over the year on what action I should take. A lot of people subscribe to the "if there's no smoke from the exhaust, then there's no problem with the turbos," and I was happy enough to believe it for a while.

All's well that ends well, I suppose.