Carbonisation killed my engine!

vvteye

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As Jofn Says, the only true way to get the clear picture is to pop off teh cam cover. Not a big job at all.

do you need a torque wrench to put the cover back on? and should you do it in a dust free enviroment rather than on your drive? these bit have allways made me weary of removing the cover. :(

Hey boyo.. Did you say you used an engine flush?

Does that not remove all the nasties and cause more problems than they solve. That could of been something which sent it over the edge..

Sorry to hear about this though. Hope all is sorted for you soon....!

Whats going to happen now for the Welsh Motor Show?

Hey boyo.. Did you say you used an engine flush?

Does that not remove all the nasties and cause more problems than they solve. That could of been something which sent it over the edge..

Sorry to hear about this though. Hope all is sorted for you soon....!

Whats going to happen now for the Welsh Motor Show?

Hi Markie, I don't think a hammer and a chisel would have removed this let alone flusher...it wasn' like tar... it was solid grit (like the small in a coal bucket if you can go back that far!).

Martin will be trying to meet the deadline for completion on the Friday before the show so hopefully on the Saturday I'll be back panning it round Chepstow racecourse at full throttle.... oh sorry, I mean running it in gently!:innocent:

Hi Markie, I don't think a hammer and a chisel would have removed this let alone flusher...it wasn' like tar... it was solid grit (like the small in a coal bucket if you can go back that far!).

Martin will be trying to meet the deadline for completion on the Friday before the show so hopefully on the Saturday I'll be back panning it round Chepstow racecourse at full throttle.... oh sorry, I mean running it in gently!:innocent:

I heard that!

I have kept alot of the coal from teh top of the engine and from the strainer in a bag for you for... errrr.... a fire?

Just seen this post. This oil problem happened to me @ 27.5K miles. Just bought the car from an old geezer who owned it from new. Drove it home and got a knocking from the big end that night. Opened the engine and the "black death" was everywhere. It was like yours on the head and inside the sump it was awful.

New short motor and reground the valve's as i was at it and it was fine.

Car had oil changed every 4,500 miles (as recommended by toyota) from new. Service history (toyota) to prove, so what went wrong?, Oil was in the sump too long sometimes near a year, car was driven too slowly so oil curdled.

It has been having 10/60 RS for the last 6 oil changes, toyota dealer had also flushed, twice.

Moral of the story, drive it like you stole it and change the oil every 3,000 miles.

This problem is compounded if the car is left outdoors overnight.

All the condensation piles up in the sump, degrading and diluting the oil.

If the car is not used often, this builds up (oil level appears to go up!) and only clears up a bit if oil temps exceed 100C and the water evaporates.

Just bought the car from an old geezer who owned it from new..... .

Ahh so it was you who bought my old one ;)

Moral of the story, drive it like you stole it and change the oil every 3,000 miles.

I'm gonna drive it real slow for the 1st 1000 miles then build up bit by bit... :innocent: and then Bam... Will take on every snippet of your advice wholeheartedly :eyebrows:

Ahh so it was you who bought my old one ;)

I'm gonna drive it real slow for the 1st 1000 miles then build up bit by bit... :innocent: and then Bam... Will take on every snippet of your advice wholeheartedly :eyebrows:

Wasn't there that theory that you should actually run your engine in hard so that the increased loads and pressure helped to seal the rings much better - meaning a more powerful motor? I am sure there was a thread on this a month or so ago. In which case some 'running in' at the motor show would eb quite, um 'spirited'?

Totally agree on the running it hard to run it in. Don't go too stupid but don't baby it, worst thing you can do to a new set of rings!

If you read all the 'theories' on it, the physics behind it make perfect sense. Rings are made of a metal that is subtle enough to bed in for the first so many heat cycles. After that it goes hard and the oppertunity is gone. If you run it slowly and carefully, you don't push the rings out in the bores and cause them to bed in to the shape of the bore, thus you won't get such a good seal, you will have slightly lower compression and higher oil and fuel consumption.

Ask any mechanic who works in a dealership, the best cars to drive are the reps cars that get thrashed from new. The slow, un-enthusiastic oil burners are the ones owned by the old folks etc. who only ever drive them slowly and carefully ;)

Totally agree on the running it hard to run it in. Don't go too stupid but don't baby it, worst thing you can do to a new set of rings!

If you read all the 'theories' on it, the physics behind it make perfect sense. Rings are made of a metal that is subtle enough to bed in for the first so many heat cycles. After that it goes hard and the oppertunity is gone. If you run it slowly and carefully, you don't push the rings out in the bores and cause them to bed in to the shape of the bore, thus you won't get such a good seal, you will have slightly lower compression and higher oil and fuel consumption.

Ask any mechanic who works in a dealership, the best cars to drive are the reps cars that get thrashed from new. The slow, un-enthusiastic oil burners are the ones owned by the old folks etc. who only ever drive them slowly and carefully ;)

But the engine will not last as long.

Wasn't there that theory that you should actually run your engine in hard so that the increased loads and pressure helped to seal the rings much better - meaning a more powerful motor? I am sure there was a thread on this a month or so ago. In which case some 'running in' at the motor show would eb quite, um 'spirited'?
OR
But the engine will not last as long.

:confused: but :tempted:

If both points are of similar importance, is it then a case of:

Long term performance and efficiency V Engine life expectancy?

If this is true then how can I get the best out of both worlds?

If the following scale epitomizes general driving habits then:

1 = parked :lazy:

5 = quiet cruising (no second tubby) but up circa 4500 revs :yawn:

10 = Ferrari Kill :bang:

So what number do you all think I should be driving at? I can then take an average (reduce it by 3 if Martin is watching:eyebrows: ) then drive according to that, Yeah?

I'll start then.... eh 7 :innocent:

(C'mon Martin... put your score where your warranty is! :p )

• 1 month later...
VVteye....How did this go in the end?:)

John car is currently back in for the 1000 mile service. It will be back to him hopefully by the end of the week with a full power run on the rolling road.

A courtesy car was given to John on both occasions, and we had the car picked up in one instance Free of charge.

John shoudl be able to comment here next week when he gets his rather nice VVt-i back with full power, which as you can see by the engine, it never had!