Induction kits - utter shite, air temps far too high

JohnK

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just fitted a turbo blanket in the hope that I can get the temps down a bit, I had steam coming off the bonnet in a queue for a recent event which made me realise how hot it must be getting.

Let me know if you find out how to box it in. Not sure if the stock airfilter flows well enough for a single though..

JB

Branners, I have a super dooper turbo blanket that I can actually hold my hand on while its running. That is only part of the problem.

I think Dusty has a airbox that K&N can be shielded. Perhaps some additional pipework will be needed. From the pictures of the kit that Dusty sells - it's sits right behind the off-side front headlight, whereas the pictures I've seen of the budget conversion - the K&N filter doesn't quite reach that far.

Or am I talking bollox ?

I think Dusty has a airbox that K&N can be shielded. Perhaps some additional pipework will be needed. From the pictures of the kit that Dusty sells - it's sits right behind the off-side front headlight, whereas the pictures I've seen of the budget conversion - the K&N filter doesn't quite reach that far.

Or am I talking bollox ?

You are not talking bollox. Dusty is due to sell a new air box assembly specifically designed for single turbo converted cars. The trouble is, it has been muted for months and seems no closer now.

You are not talking bollox. Dusty is due to sell a new air box assembly specifically designed for single turbo converted cars. The trouble is, it has been muted for months and seems no closer now.
Is just a case of some additional piping - if you compare the pic on Dusty's website and this one ?

From Dusty's webpage:

''Max Air'' Air Box for Supras with an Aftermarket Intake Other than the HKS or with a Single Turbo

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Images/spacer.gifThis kit includes the Max Air air box without a precut hole for the intake. This can be made to fit any single turbo or any stock twin Supra with an aftermarket intake that routes into the usual air-box space. THIS KIT ALSO INCLUDES THE HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THERMAL WRAP. Your Price$184.00

I remember the angry and contemptous posts aimed at me when I 'dared' speak out on the subject.

Better late than never though, eh? lol...

But we are talking about single turbo cars here John, not TT's.

The advantages of the 'cone' filters are grossly overstated in general. As a result people find it preposterous to have a single and retain the stock airbox (which is what I'd do if the SMIC space was not available)

I've had temp probes in the engine bay (datalogging the whole inlet tract) and during summer days the figures can be scary, especially after a couple of good runs.

Exposed cone filters only look good in shows with the bonnet open. They sound cool too.

But the heat and grit they allow inside the engine is scandalous.

I remember the angry and contemptous posts aimed at me when I 'dared' speak out on the subject.

Better late than never though, eh? lol...

Tis nothing new - people have known for ages that the stock airbox is best. All I've done is fit a TRD panel filter.

Guest Terry S
Ive just checked the temp around the air filter after a 5 mile trip, never booted it in that time and I didnt get stuck in traffic.

59.1c !!!!!

Im on a mission to refit the stock airbox.

More than one John on here mate ;)