The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Induction kits - utter shite, air temps far too high

JohnK

Will the filter get enough air if you block off the engine bay though - I know we need cold air but surely you can't get enough squeezed through the headlights to fill a single turbo or even the twins?

but if you look at the pic from Dusty's site - you can see the air is supplied from the main fan which is fed along some piping to the airbox - just in the same way as the stock box.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Terry S

guys there are various solutions to this, but before that I would like to know the temps during actual driving rather than at a stand still. I have data from the purple car, but want to see if John's results confirm this.

Guest Terry S
If you look at pic 2 http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=15536, I am going to extend the pipework and cut a hole into the metal below the filter and drop it down there. It will allow me to get cold air in whilst blocking the hot air from the engine.

Yeah the purple car was set up like this but purely for race/summer purposes.

Edit :BTW CJ my emails to you keep bouncing, not sure if its you or me.

The advantages of the 'cone' filters are grossly overstated in general. As a result people find it preposterous to have a single and retain the stock airbox

Please find the post where, on this BBS, anyone claims a cone filter is "better" than the stock air box. It's not always our first choice, but the turbo kits generally don't come with another option. Unless you can fab something up yourself you just have to go with what you are given and then make the best of that, via ducting and shielding.

JohnK, I too would love to know what temps you are seeing when in motion, if you can do that and let us know it would be really appreciated.

I didnt log whilst driving, im on nights now so I wont get a chance for a while, but next time I get a chance I will do.

The only reason I checked was that I noticed a hot area on the bonnet above the air filter area after a drive.

Also worth noting is that im still using the stock SMIC so inlet temps are very important to me.

Guest Terry S
I didnt log whilst driving, im on nights now so I wont get a chance for a while, but next time I get a chance I will do.

The only reason I checked was that I noticed a hot area on the bonnet above the air filter area after a drive.

Also worth noting is that im still using the stock SMIC so inlet temps are very important to me.

OK John, if you get a chance to try that would be great. I use a K probe thermometer and have some special wire sensors which slip inside the silicone, its the easiest way I have found so far, without installing a permanent sensor.

Guest chiefvinso

Just out of curiosity, wouldnt it be necessary to know what the intake temp is towards the plenum chamber after its gone through an intercooler? It would surely be cooler then? I cant see why all aftermarket filters would be shit, in traffic yes but when you are driving the temp is bound to come down and more if you have a good intercooler?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I have some temps while car is in motion.

All gained from a probe next to the filter, ambient 26c.

While moving at 30+mph temps are in the region of 35 to 40c. As soon as you stop it rapidly increases to around 60c and then takes a fair while once moving to go back to 35 - 40.

Town driving the temp rarely dips below 50c.

Also heat is held for a long time under the bonnet while the engine is off (white car in the sun if that makes a difference). Parked the car with temp around 60, was still in the low 50's when I came back an hour later.

Never did I stop for longer than a few mins, I would imaging things would get a lot hotter if I did.

I am in the process of building an insulated airbox that uses the stock feeds, I will get more temps when it is done.

...While moving at 30+mph temps are in the region of 35 to 40c. As soon as you stop it rapidly increases to around 60c and then takes a fair while once moving to go back to 35 - 40.

Town driving the temp rarely dips below 50c.

This is typical, when I datalogged under the Calibra's bonnet it was a similar story.

16C higher inlet temps on average are bad news for performance and reliability, especially since some of that will go through the i/c and heatsoak it even more.

For those with FMICs this extra heat will be dumped on the fins of the aircon condenser and the coolant rad.

The worst is that the turbo compressor will start cavitating earlier. (the pressure graphs only account for a low ambient intake temp)

In the winter it's nowhere near as bad though.

Alright, I have a NA with a K&N conical filter. The piping did get pretty hot after a long trip. I did two things to cool my intake. First I changed to a TRD style hood which I must say lowered underhood temperatures dramatically. The second thing I did which is helping was I insulated the aluminum tubing with silicone electric tape. It may lookn like crap but it does lower your intake temperatures. I plan on doing a header wrap in the near future to further lower temperatures. I live in Mississippi and in the summer the temperatures can really shoot up there so if it works for me I could work for anyone else with the same problem.

The cold air feed is only effective when the engine has no choice but to suck air through it.

Drilling holes on the airbox makes it much easier to draw air from there, rather than use the stock feeds.

Still, this is nowhere near as bad as an exposed cone filter situation...

Peter - I'm unsure what you mean?

The box I have built seals off the filter from the engine bay and should only get the cold air from the feed under the headlight and the one over the fan.

Im only doing this as the stock box will not fit any more.

I have fitted the airbox tonight. It is very crude and very much function over form but it should serve its purpose, I have also wrapped my downpipe.

Its far from perfect and there are still some gaps to fill up but hopefully tomorrow I will have a chance to measure some temps.

http://www.efter-stormen.net/airbox1.jpg

http://www.efter-stormen.net/airbox2.jpg

http://www.efter-stormen.net/wrap.jpg