The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tuning a non turbo supra

sonic 306

Hi i dont have a clue when it comes to engines and im buying a na supra really soon.the owener says it 237bhp what mods can i do to bump it up a bit.i dont wanna go spending thousands.ive £2000 for engine mods any1 have any recommendations and links to bits i could put into her thanks or any other advice cheers.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi i dont have a clue when it comes to engines and im buying a na supra really soon.the owener says it 237bhp what mods can i do to bump it up a bit.i dont wanna go spending thousands.ive £2000 for engine mods any1 have any recommendations and links to bits i could put into her thanks or any other advice cheers.

Save your money and put it towards cosmetic mods.

Exhaust, manifold, double decat, superchip etc

As the owner is already stating a higher figure than stock I'm guessing he quite probably already has exhaust and decat.

And there is no "Superchip" for the Supra.

You will find it is probably as far as it will go already without spending alot of money.

Not really, the two n/a supe's at the rolling road day had 230-240 with not much done to them, so in answer to your question yes there is more power to easily be achieved ;)

Not really, the two n/a supe's at the rolling road day had 230-240 with not much done to them, so in answer to your question yes there is more power to easily be achieved ;)

3bhp is not more power to easily be achieved is it?

As you don't have the NA yet, why don't you put your 2.000 towards a TT?

I bought an NA a few months ago, love it to bits but I regret for not going for a TT in the first place.

I wish man ha im from ireland im lucky im even getting quoted on a non turbo here.you have to be 25 in ireland to get quoted on big litre cars im driving a 1.4 pug 306 with a full license and im 24 and my insurance is 1000euros.its costing me a extra 700euro to get insured in a non turbo.i tried to get quoted on a tt but no insurance company will look at me here they just laugh and think your mad.

I'd never advise someone to get a TT first, I could of got a TT but decided i'd rather have a n/a first, it's always best to learn a car and find out how it reacts to certain circumstances before you kill yourself because you went too fast or the turbo spool kicked you out round a corner.

I'd never advise someone to get a TT first, I could of got a TT but decided i'd rather have a n/a first, it's always best to learn a car and find out how it reacts to certain circumstances before you kill yourself because you went too fast or the turbo spool kicked you out round a corner.

Fair point :)

ha ya i dont think id be able for a tt yet its a big enough jump from 90bhp to 237bhp and to be honest our roads are so shit over here you cant go fast anywhere.i dont speed anyway but im sure when i get it ill gradually want to go faster and faster as im driving it and get used to it.

Fact, £2,000 is very unlikely to get you more than a 15-20% increase in power, quite simply tuning an N/A engine is nowhere near as rewarding as tuning turbo engines, every BHP is hard won, and will take a lot of work, as it already has exhaust, then adding a tube manifold will add a little more , and then maybe another 10-15 BHP from some lumpy cams, and the only other thing that might release a little more power is a stand alone ECU properly mapped.

You cannot remap the Supra's ECU. You may get a handful more BHP with exhaust manifold from Nic, but not a lot.

To get 300BHP out of the NA Supra's big old lazy lump would require BIG money, with custom cams etc. It's not a great engine for tuning potential.

You could always ditch the 2JZ-GE and fit a Ford 2.0 Duratec engine though, people are getting 300BHP out of those now. 150BHP per litre is pretty impressive.

Get off suprastore!!! (Nothing worth looking at there, and the reputation is crap, didn't even think he was still going)

Do a search, simply bolting a turbo to an NA isn't the complete story. ECU, fuel system the lot need to be taken into account.

In summary do a search here and you will see the pain that is associated with doing something like that on the cheap.

I wish man ha im from ireland im lucky im even getting quoted on a non turbo here.you have to be 25 in ireland to get quoted on big litre cars im driving a 1.4 pug 306 with a full license and im 24 and my insurance is 1000euros.its costing me a extra 700euro to get insured in a non turbo.i tried to get quoted on a tt but no insurance company will look at me here they just laugh and think your mad.

And you reckon they would just insure you with a bolted on turbo conversion??

well i could buy a bolt on turbo kit as shown here if i save more money as i was thinking of doing but as i said dont wanna go mad either.its tricky alright wehat to do.

http://www.suprastore.com/bolost1notot.html

Don't buy anything from Suprastore, they're t*ssers.

So you bought an NA because of the insurance (which I don't really understand as insurance on an NA is usually around the same as a TT), but are now thinking of fitting an NA-T kit? I think you'll find your insurance would then be more than it would have been on a standard TT anyway.

so just simple mods to the engine would probably be the best thing to do.

Which bit of, "there are no simple mods that will give you the power you are asking for", you missing???

The NA is a fine car as it is, but you WON'T get cheap power of it!! Simple as!