The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo coolant pipe warning

Scooter

Ok, my 1994 TT split a turbo coolant hose during the week, a pin prick hole luckily and little coolant loss.

Just as a heads up really i've added the picture of what I found within, horribly cracked and degraded (sorry the pic is so bad). When i removed it was noticeable bulged and it 'crackled' in my hand when i squeezed it which prompted me to slice it down it's length.

It's one of the front two pipes that are only a few inches long and are on the front of the turbo's just behind the intercooler pipework, near the front vsv's. Anyway 10mm (3/8) heater hose and all is good again, but i know there are at least a couple of similar pipes oil filter side (main rad ones i've already changed) that i'll need to attend to sooner rather than later.

turbo coolant hose.jpg

• 5 months later...

quite a common thing I've noticed now on the various older Toyota's I've worked on, the rubber is just getting to that age now where it will perish and collapse now, recently I'd seen a heater matrix pipe split on a 1jz because the hose was just so old and weak, luckily was caught in time before boiling the engine.

this turbo pipe you've had split also happened to one my mates with a mkiv supra, it must be the temperature difference taking it's toll on the older pipes

I've only replaced two 16284-46020 pipes, but I used generic hose/tubing. Need to get round to the harder to access ones at some point.

I think several of the coolant hoses on my NA could do with replacing. Are there any guidlines you can pass on about getting generic hoses? How do you get the bends correct?

The two I changed have a slight bend and so straight 'will do', I might have just got some from my hose stash can't remember (I think these two are 10mm Internal diameter?). Any with a defined angled bend in I'd be minded to get from Toyota or a copy with the same 'set' angle.

been down Toyota today to pick a load of bulbs up for my dash restoration. while I was there, I asked about the coolant lines, on with the parts computer again. there are 4 turbo coolant pipes in total, I ordered them all , £75 2 in this country , 1 in Toyota big warehouse in Europe and the other has to come from japan. there are 3 extra turbo bypass pipes looking at the computer I think, plus there are an 4 additional water coolant pipes. plus theres oil pipes for the turbos also. couple of hundred id imagine from mr T ,

• 2 weeks later...

Well as mine sprung a pin hole leak and the two I did are 'up top' when I pulled them (after everything had cooled down!) they were pretty much dry with no spillage. If you are doing this on a non leaker then I would either drain a bit from the rad tap underneath, or undo the top hose and lower it and drain into a container etc to lower the level?

:thumbs:
Well as mine sprung a pin hole leak and the two I did are 'up top' when I pulled them (after everything had cooled down!) they were pretty much dry with no spillage. If you are doing this on a non leaker then I would either drain a bit from the rad tap underneath, or undo the top hose and lower it and drain into a container etc to lower the level?