The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Crash damage advice please!

L337

The damaged parts shown are all in front of the subframe mount points so it might not be too bad. As Mr Wilkinson says it really need to go on a jig to make sure there's no further structural damage.

IMO, it's an NA so it may well be more viable to look for better shell. It's a lot of work to swap parts over so it will depend how much sentimental value the car has and how much time you can invest.

The surface rust is about as bad as I've seen, did you buy it like this or has it sat for a while? It's obviously had paint work at some point, which may point to not being the best shell (or poor paint shop)

Does jigging involve it being stripped to a bar shell?

I don't have the time to do a reshell for sure, so I'll be gutted if thats the only real option.

I bought the car on the road, taken it off the road to sort a lot of bits out and get the body work sorted as it's a bit rough in spots around the car.

The surface rust looks like the old battery caused it somehow, it's bad all under the battery tray, nothing structural though, just orange on the surface.

I'm keen not to sell and rebuy as with the current Supra prices, even another NA Auto will be out of my range :-(

No it can go on the jig as is. Its not worth it mate. With that amount of rust itll never be clean as it should. Unless you get a front clip and have it put on. Thatll sort the damage and rust. But over all this supra needs a hell of alot of work, holes ih her sills...id hate to think what the insides look like already. Itll cost a fair amount to get it on a jig + parts and work. Then to sort the rest of the car out...not worth it.

I'd put it on a 4 wheel alignment machine and see where all the wheels are pointing.

A place near me does a free 4 wheel lazer alignment check so might be worth you searching your locality

What does it drive like ?

Has it only got that damage ?

I recall a member on here having their Supra put on a jig a few years ago and it was a mile out both front

and rear i think

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Drives really well, doesn't pull either way under braking / acceleration. Goes straight with hands off the wheel etc..

I think I would be intrigued to get a quote for jigging; I know it's not a TT6 so never going to be worth a mint, but it is a JDM car with an A01B, just 62,000 miles on it, and isn't silver like most NAs for sale seem to be!

But as a first check an alignment check could be a first port of call.. Although Ill struggle to take it anywhere as it's now off the road with no front end haha.. Although I could possibly tow it OK if I put the battery back on, so thats probably the answer...

The only effect from the damage bar the obvious reduction in crash performance should the worst happen, is that it droops the NS headlight and front bumper, and the lower rad mount it set back 10-15mm so it twists the rad a bit.

I'm all about that high speed instability..

In all honesty, no idea, I've not had it aligned or even set up since fitting Coilovers - and that side is about 20mm lower than the OS :innocent:

Probably should have done something about that earlier.. but yeah haha.