The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Antifreeze question

Blackie

Get out as much as you possibly can. Drain from the radiator and the block. Then simply fill up with pre-mixed. It would be handy to get a bottle of concentrate just to top up if the winter is REALLY bad. Pre-mixed should do to around -15 degrees. It'll tell you on the bottle though :)

I have read threads before where people like CW claimed it made no difference. I am going to have to change our fluids soon and feel the urge to stick with the (expensive) red stuff..!!

There's no harm in it, it's just pointless. I'm putting Toyota Red in my car, but only because I bought some last year at a good price. If I didn't have it sitting on the shelf I would be going with Halfords Advanced. It's a cracking coolant, similar colour too if that helps :)

There's no harm in it, it's just pointless. I'm putting Toyota Red in my car, but only because I bought some last year at a good price. If I didn't have it sitting on the shelf I would be going with Halfords Advanced. It's a cracking coolant, similar colour too if that helps :)

I have got half a tub here from when I did the NA. For some reason I don't want it to go to waste and I will end up buying another tub or maybe two. After all my time on here I still don't know how much coolant I will need for a full change. But I bet you do Scott?

I have got half a tub here from when I did the NA. For some reason I don't want it to go to waste and I will end up buying another tub or maybe two. After all my time on here I still don't know how much coolant I will need for a full change. But I bet you do Scott?

Mine took about 9 litres once all the air was out (and some coolant was lost splashing out).

I used the Halfords red stuff as it's the same price as Toyota but I have a friend who works there :)

10L should do you. I think the system is 14lL something like that but you won't get it all out without picking the car up and giving it a shake.

Unless you get trade discount at Halfords the last time i checked i could get Toyotas Cool Red cheaper

than i could buy Halfords version.

Apparently its quite easy to get a trade card for Halfords these days so im told but not sure

what discount you'd get but on some tools and service items its quite a lot so worth looking into.

10L should do you. I think the system is 14lL something like that but you won't get it all out without picking the car up and giving it a shake.

I think you'll find the whole system on both TT M/T & A/T is just under 9 litres and 8.3 litres for the A/T N/A

Unless you get trade discount at Halfords the last time i checked i could get Toyotas Cool Red cheaper

than i could buy Halfords version.

Apparently its quite easy to get a trade card for Halfords these days so im told but not sure

what discount you'd get but on some tools and service items its quite a lot so worth looking into.

Well worth it. The employees get unlimited discounts and last time we used it, we bought wiper blades for my girlfriend's Ka. They were supposed to be about £22 and we got them for about £8 I think. Something crazy like that.

If you have any coolant in your system and not sure what it is then drain and flush the system out. the longlife coolants are not compatible with the likes of the blue antifreeze(ethanediol) if mixed the coolant can loose its corrosion resistance capabilitys or worse case forma a gelling type liquid.

Apparently its quite easy to get a trade card for Halfords these days...

Well worth it. The employees get unlimited discounts and last time we used it, we bought wiper blades for my girlfriend's Ka. They were supposed to be about £22 and we got them for about £8 I think. Something crazy like that.

Last time I checked you needed to be in the motor trade. Is that still the case? How do you prove it? Walk in with oil-stained overalls holding a ring spanner? :)

So has it got to be Toyota or Halfords antifreeze? Surely antifreeze is antifreeze? As long as its the pink stuff its okay?

It doesn't have to be any particular brand. I dare say some will be better than others for longevity but as long as you get long life it should do what it says on the tin.

The most important thing is that it's ethylene glycol as far as I know. Halfords is one that I know is the correct blend hence why I usually choose it.

Colour doesn't matter although I would suggest flushing out the system before changing brands/colours as the ingredients might be slightly different.