The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Annoying Phrases

Matt H

Wow, I think you lot have already said all the ones that wind me up.

Alright cock? cocker? Winds me up that one...

They say that a lot round here too. What is that all about?

Them - "All right cock.."

Me - "Fine thanks you wanker"

Round here they say "All right" instead of hello... so a conversation goes like so:

"All right"

"Yes thanks, how are you?"

"Fine, you alright?"

"Erm...yes, I just told you"

"All right, cheers mate"

Cheers mate...there's another. If a particular employee says "Cheers mate" one more time to a customer I'm gonna rip his voice box out.

"How bist jockey" - another bizarre local saying. Jockey. Why call someone a Jockey? I'm not even going to guess what the eff How Bist means.

I could go on all night...but then I am fairly intolerant of people.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm. It seems that I use a lot of phrases that would wind you guys up! I say "dude" all the time, and so do a lot of my friends. We also say "That's how we/I roll!". I never noticed or realised that some people found it irritating! "F**k it dude, let's go bowling" crops up quite frequently too....

Just talking to the wife about this. I say 'cool' a lot, and I'm also guilty of a lot of 'at the end of the day' and 'bottom line'. Its obviously subconcious, but now its been pointed out I'm going to make a concious effort to leave it out.

My wife says 'shooper' a lot, after watching Fargo. Doesnt annoy me, but I cringe when she uses it in public. She also does the 'woaaaaghhh' bit from Blackadder (the thespians) a lot which really does do my nut in.

"Bud" - annoying as fuck and funnily enough only found on this forum

"How ya doin'" - only Joey from Friends can say this with any kind of aplomb, NOT to be said by someone from UK

"Groovy" - way too Austin Powers

"Lick the peanuts from my shit" - not something you'd say in front of the ladies

Just about anything that comes out of Tim Westwood's mouth and gangsta rap speak..............."west side" etc that along with the stupid hand signals :thumbdown:

Rant mode now off

Definitely. A seriously uncool middle class, middle aged toss pot, trying to be down with the kids. Idiot. Makes me chuckle though :blink:

"Have a nice day now."

WTF? Are you American or something?

I think that's nice as long as it's done in sincerity.

Perhaps a bit more British "Have a good'un"

Just about anything that comes out of Tim Westwood's mouth and gangsta rap speak..............."west side" etc that along with the stupid hand signals :thumbdown:

I used to think that, but it's just his job to be like that now. If he'd ever changed he'd be out of a job, and let's face it, what else would he be doing?

So, if Awesome, Cool, Wicked, Smart, Groovy etc aren't good words to use, what is acceptable to express your enjoyment or amazement of something?

"That's awfully decent"?

So, if Awesome, Cool, Wicked, Smart, Groovy etc aren't good words to use, what is acceptable to express your enjoyment or amazement of something?

"That's awfully decent"?

I use 'thats fantastic' a lot, or simply 'love it'. 'Beautiful' seems to crop up in my vocabulary often too. I use 'cool' too much lately aparently. Havent really thought about it until this thread.

:)When pitching new designs to the Boss, I hope for a 'well done my boy'. But thats pretty well down the middle...I've had 'looks like a cross between Tugboat Willy and a house Brick' at one end of the scale and 'its a real knuckle biter' at the other.

More favourites:

At this moment in time (as opposed to moments outside time mr Hawkings?)

Real people (i.e. not androids, replicants or old-fashioned robots Deckart?)

In all fairness

In my personal opinion (is there such a thing as an impersonal opinion?)

• 1 month later...
'My Bad' grrrrr that really irritates me :taped:

people that dont pronounce that ie dat for example 'mate dat is insane' etc

and 'babe' grrrr you dont even know a bloke and there calling u babe :blink: its so sleazy

alright babe my bad you know you is lovin it why don't you like ave a another beer then :p o and you is super fit to ;)