The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Revival

Matt H

think hard and serious matt its your descion and money, if you descide to go for it then a single and a 6 speed box would be the way to go with a nice paint it would be the nuts, not orange though........................................... how about trophy blue:innocent:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a legal requirment to declare the status to the insurance company and from my experience most insurance companies will not insure a cars that are declared write offs. I don't know if this has changed in the last few years, however every insurnace document I've seen has a line on it somewhere in the T&C's that "the vehicle has not been declared an insurance write off"

what i was getting at is...........two supras suffer the same impact damage supra 1 is a 93 na auto and ends up labelled a Cat C write off, supra 2 is a 99 manual vvti and ends up repaired.....

presumably the repaired car is not a Cat C, true or not?

what i was getting at is...........two supras suffer the same impact damage supra 1 is a 93 na auto and ends up labelled a Cat C write off, supra 2 is a 99 manual vvti and ends up repaired.....

Oh, sorry. The write off decision is based on the value of the car, if it's deemed to be uneconomical to repair the 93 (i.e. repair exceeds the value of the car) it'll be written off. In your example the two cars could have sustained the same damaged (lets say £5k's worth). The NA would be written off as the repair is not economical, the 98 woiuld probably be repaired as the cost is below the value of the car. There are some exceptions, i.e. if the shell itself is considered too severly damaged to make a safe repair, these are recorded as CAT A and B and it's not possible to re-register them on the road, in fact I don't believe its possible to even buy these without a salvage license.

In Matt's case he's using the '98 shell so on the V5 it will be recorded as a total loss.

In short Scooter - true. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I would check with your chosen insurer first and make sure that this is worthwhile doing. It would be your luck to sink £000's into a project car to find that you can't insurer it.

When an insurance company decides not to repair a vehicle they will issue it with a salvage classification category.

Salvage categories were introduced in an effort to curb vehicle crime in the UK. They were developed by the Association of British Insurers (ABI) with the assistance of vehicle recyclers, the DVLA and the UK Police Force.

The categories are as follows:

A - Not for resale. Fire damaged (burnt-out), flood damaged (contaminated or salt water), severely damaged with no serviceable parts, or heavily stripped (shell).

Notification of Destruction required. (To be crushed). Recorded at DVLA & HPI.

B - Not for resale. Damaged beyond economical repair and/or severe structural damage.

Notification of Destruction required. (Parts can be removed and sold). Recorded at DVLA & HPI.

C - Repairable salvage. Generally applies to older vehicles. Can be sold for repair but must now have VIC inspection.

Recorded at DVLA & HPI.

D - Repairable salvage. Minimal damage sometimes stolen and found after claim has been paid, or cost of repair combined with difficulty obtaining new parts to enable a swift repair.

Recorded with HPI.

X - Repairable salvage. Not recorded on any registers such as HPI. Limited or very light damage, or vehicle is new or less than 12 months old. Usually requires minimal repair work.

NOT Recorded with HPI.

Dont worry its staying Orange, it took me a v.long time to find that colour and i love it.

And can we please get off the CAT C topic, if i was bothered then i wouldnt have bought it!

People try and be helpful and offer you helpful, objective and practicable advice Matt. Reap what you sow.