The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sky Insurance - best policy, best price, best service

I've just got off the phone with Sky and let me tell you, I'm fuming.

I called to arrange an agreed value, now that I've gone single. The chap on the other end of the phone put me on hold and came back a while later to let me know that they can't do one in the middle of a policy. How come you can charge more for moving house, and adjust values etc but not get an agreed value to your car. It's ridiculous.

There is a very good reason. The reason is Fraudulent claims. Our underwriters do not allow us to add an agreed value mid-policy for that very reason and the fact that we have had our fingers badly burned in the past just reinforces this. It raises suspicions when a customer wants to suddenly add an agreed value clause to their polcy halfway through when it would have been offered at renewal.

I then asked how much it would be to cancel the policy and how much I'd get back, as I'm only 8 months through the policy, with the view to approaching Livingstones for a new quote and agreed value. On hold again and then the following:

We will give you a refund of 27 quid...! WHAT!!!

Apparently I'd get a refund of £75 less the commission and fees. In what part of the world are fees more than half. Even £75 is a slap in the face, but to then take more than £40 in commission and fees is robbery.

I'm so angry I could spit!

Ok, so you had a contract with us for 8 months and you are still expecting a large sum back? I can only really refer you to the terms and conditions that you were in receipt of upon the inception of your policy.

Sorry for the blunt answer but it is response to your blunt posting.

Regards

Ollie

Sky Insurance

Edited by SkyInsurance (see edit history)

I realise that the small print states all the things mentioned before, but I think you're worse than thieves, and inflaming an already tense situation didn't help your cause. I'm only 2/3 through the policy. £27 quid refund my ar%3.

You think other insurers are any different?

Nope...all thieves.

Hi MarkR,

I write the sales scripts and proceedures for Sky and TBH short period cancellation rates fom insurance companies (not brokers) have always been the source of complaints.

I have tried to address these compaints by adding a script to the sales checklist which explains how cancellations are calculated and gives a brief example of short period cancellation rates (1 month 25% 3m 50% 6m 75% and so on). We then ask if you still wish to incept the policy. After this we send full disclousre details which outlines our status as FSA rtegistered broker and once again covers the cancelltation rates and proceedures.

I would welcome any suggestions you, or any, members have how I can stop these complaints at source and help people understand what happens in the event of a policy being cancelled early.

Thanks

Jae

Hi MarkR,

I write the sales scripts and proceedures for Sky and TBH short period cancellation rates fom insurance companies (not brokers) have always been the source of complaints.

I have tried to address these compaints by adding a script to the sales checklist which explains how cancellations are calculated and gives a brief example of short period cancellation rates (1 month 25% 3m 50% 6m 75% and so on). We then ask if you still wish to incept the policy. After this we send full disclousre details which outlines our status as FSA rtegistered broker and once again covers the cancelltation rates and proceedures.

I would welcome any suggestions you, or any, members have how I can stop these complaints at source and help people understand what happens in the event of a policy being cancelled early.

Thanks

Jae

To be honest, I'm not in the correct frame of mind to answer any questions related to this as I feel thoroughly done over by the system and don't want to make an already unpleasant situation worse (which is why I removed my emotional responses). I'll be retreating to my cave and re-addressing this tomorrow.

Maybe instead of trying to resolve the problems that the problem causes, just go to the route of it and offer a fair refund policy? :search:

No you don't understand. We are a broker, its insurer that charges short period rates (these a pretty much universal). We do not have any control over the rates they charge. We are just trying to make the customer aware of them.

Jae

Edited by SkyInsurance (see edit history)

No you don't understand. We are a broker, its insurer that charges short period rates (these a pretty much universal). We do not have any control over the rates they charge. We are just trying to make the customer aware of them.

As a broker, you could still offer your own incentives, like covering part of these underwritters fees in the event of cancelation.

It would be a selling point. And if like you say, it's a universal thing, Sky could be proud to say them are 'the' or one of the only brokers that can do this for their cherished customers.

As a broker, you could still offer your own incentives, like covering part of these underwritters fees in the event of cancelation.

It would be a selling point. And if like you say, it's a universal thing, Sky could be proud to say them are 'the' or one of the only brokers that can do this for their cherished customers.

whoa! I certainly didn't see that one coming.

Its a nice idea, but one that is completely imposible. Brokers work on a profit margin of literally a couple of %. In fact most brokers will say they do not break even on a case until at least the second year after deducted aquision costs, wages, advertising, software etc.

Any broker who tried to cover part of the insurer charges would be bankrupt in a year.

My question is, how can we as your broker help to make you better aware of the terms of the contract you are about to enter into.

Jae

I would like to say that Sky just got it spot on for me again, added my Corvette as a second car with mirrored bonus for a very very cheap price, all with a phone call (or 2 ;))

Been with them for a long while now and find the service very good, cancellation policy was explained in full before I paid up, so it should be no surprise to a customer at all

I know I said I was staying in my cage, but I just wanted to say. I didn't want to cancel (and still haven't). All I want to do is amend my policy. It gets amended all the time for all sorts of reasons, so I was surprised that you couldn't get an agreed value midway and just pay the difference.

After the explanation I have received I understand that there are rules to prevent laundering etc, but when does the client get protected from ruthless underwriters that wave a cancellation sword over your head. I think the entire process needs to be revised by whatever ombudsman oversees insurance process.

My question is, how can we as your broker help to make you better aware of the terms of the contract you are about to enter into.

I haven't seen Sky's policy documents, but a printed summary of all the important aspects usually works for me.

I find that getting bombarded with fast pased info on the phone sends me to sleep. I always review stuff when they are in writting.

How about offering the prospective client the option of an agreed value at the time of sale? If I knew you could do such a thing back in the day when I first took out the policy I would have bitten your hand off and would have been a happy camper today.

Agreed value hey, Interesting.

sky finally sorted out my problem and got back (or will do in 3 to 4 weeks) all bar £75. much better than the £280 charge originally quoted.

As promised, heres the email i got from Ollie:

Hi Hiten,

I am very happy to help, in fact it is my job to do so. A lot of people dont really beleive me when I say I work more on behalf of the club members than I do for Sky Insurance!

Please use me as a point of contact for any further queries.

Regards

Ollie

now, and i've had this time and time again, ollie seems to be the only person at sky that can sort stuff out for us club members. fair enough he couldnt get my policy down to a reasonable level, but at least he got the refund to a better level.

one more point - i was in two minds about writing this one but i figured i have to let forum members know:

if you get any problems with your insurers, be it sky or anyone else, and you are not happy with the outcome or they cannot help you any further, ask them for the number for the insurance ombudsman (or google it). These guys are here to help in situations such as this. from experience, both personally and through people i know, the mention of this gets you your result, if not, call them up :)

Having become a new supra owner i figured i should try sky first and with a quote of £490 something fully comp i decided to wait the 2 days until my ins broker of nearly 20 years finally came back to me (having refered it to the company) with a quote of £344 !

Thats £40 less than i was paying for my bmw 318is !!!!!

In all fairness , sky did ask me to get back to them and they'd see what they could do !

Don't you hate that ? When you get a quote and then you get a cheaper one and the first place come back with a lower price ? Why don't they just do that for you in the first place ?

Kinda decided ......." better the devil you know "

• 2 weeks later...

well ive just rang sky, a man answered the phone. I asked for a quote he took my name and then went away for few mins, came back and said something has come up can we give you a ring back in a minute, been waiting a hour.

Never struggled to get a quote before normally your in a que atleast.

well ive just rang sky, a man answered the phone. I asked for a quote he took my name and then went away for few mins, came back and said something has come up can we give you a ring back in a minute, been waiting a hour.

Maybe the office is on fire.

Did you try calling back before posting this?

Hi,

According to my records you rang our office at 10.32. You spoke to Alex who informed you our systems have crashed then he called you back at 10.52 and went through the quote with you.

Can you confirm this is correct?

Jae

Hi,

According to my records you rang our office at 10.32. You spoke to Alex who informed you our systems have crashed then he called you back at 10.52 and went through the quote with you.

Can you confirm this is correct?

Jae

Well I posted this questions up and it's been over an hour now and it still hasn't been answered.

How hard is it to have a conversation on this forum normally you at least get a reply. ;):p

Jae

Well I posted this questions up and it's been over an hour now and it still hasn't been answered.

How hard is it to have a conversation on this forum normally you at least get a reply. ;):p

Jae

Please continue to hold, your sarcasm is important to us.

*Kenny G Christmas Album plays*

:D