The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sky Insurance - best policy, best price, best service

What exactly does qualify for this ?

My supe is 1993 (16years old), and used every day with a few cosmetic mods. Would that qualify ?

True classic cars.. eg something like a Mk1 Mr2 which is kept in a garage, used as a second car, limited mileage etc. It is not a cheap way of insuring the Supra.

On another note, is it just my insurance thats going up each year ?

2 years ago i was paying £580 on my 93 jspec N/A (5years no claims, 31years old, 5000miles max per annum)

Last year it was £639 6years no claims, 32years old 5000miles max per annum

This year im quoted, £685 7 years no claims, 33 years old 5000miles max per annum

This is getting silly, its meant to get lower the older and more experienced you get ?

Hi, yes.. insurance prices are rising, like most things. Feel free to PM me your details and I have can have a look on the system to see if there is any way to bring the price of cover down. Worth noting that 5 years NCB is known as 'maximum NCB' so getting the 6th and 7th year will not being the price down further.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not currently very impressed with your customer service.

On Tuesday of last week, I called to tell you I would be changing cars. At that time you were very helpful and told me my current policy could not cover the replacement car due to it's value (above £20k). So, I told you I'd cancel the insurance at the point I changed cars (a week later). At that time, you mailed me a questionnaire to comment on your customer service, since it's something you're trying to improve. I didn't fill it in at the time - I decided to wait until the whole issue was concluded (i.e. the cancellation of the insurance) - and then I'd fill it in based on the experience.

Well - I called you again last week (Wednesday afternoon) to make another enquiry about my policy. I was told that nobody was free and I would be called back "shortly". I still have not been called back.

On Wednesday evening, the supra sold so I wrote a letter of cancellation for my policy, included my certificate of insurance and requested proof of NCD.

I didn't receive proof over the weekend (which is fair enough, you would only have received the letter on Friday). However - I do want to send everything off to my new insurers in one go, so called today to get confirmation that you'd received the letter, and that my proof of NCD was on it's way. When I called at 1pm, I was told everybody was busy and I'd be called back shortly.

I called back myself at 3pm - and was again told that everybody was busy and I'd be called back shortly. It's now 5pm, and I've not heard from you yet - so it's not looking all that likely I'll hear back today.

I think most people agree that companies that say they will call back - but don't - score very poorly on customer service. I would like a call confirming that you received my cancellation and that my proof of NCD is on it's way.

Renewed with Sky again, will be the 3rd year for me. The original renewal quote wasn't very good (is it ever?) at £841, but after a little phoning around I found a better quote with Admiral (of all people) at £713.15, and then A-Plan at £679.

Back to Sky again and they were willing to price-match the A-Plan price so as I'm already with Sky, and have the option of agreed value (+£72.25), I've renewed with them.

A little disappointed the original renewal figure wasn't lower as they're obviously still making a profit on the £679 figure, but do understand that they are a business at the end of the day and have to try their best to turn a profit. Still, got a reasonable deal in the end.

Typically I deal with (from memory) Luke Tillbrook who has always offered me excellent customer service but he wasn't available this time so I was dealing with Cassie who was also very helpful.

Just for comparison, my worst quote was with Lancaster at £1731 with £800 excess!

In case it helps anyone; I'm 29. Live in the South West. Drive a TT. Have 5 years (P)NCD, but an accident in 2007. Car has a few minor mods; wheels, skirts, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I will be calling Sky again tomorrow.

As posted above - I wrote to them on Thursday 3rd September to cancel my policy with immediate effect since I'd sold the car. After I posted, I was called - to confirm receipt of the letter and to tell me that my proof of NCD would have to be sent by the insurers and would take 7-10 days.

I have just received my proof of NCD. Apart from the fact that it's taken longer than I was told - my main concern is that it states the cancellation date was 14/09/09 - i.e. 6 days after my new policy (which I was supposed to be transferring my NCD to) started! There is absolutely no reason why the cancellation date should be 10 days after I wrote to Sky, and it is not acceptable that it's after my new policy started!

Oh bugger. Looks like I'd better find an old shitter to insure for a bit!

I dont believe that is true, it depends on the insurer. If you get a letter from the company that have provided the company car with the insurance details and timescales etc and some companies will give you some no claims bonus. I have done this before when I first started driving with Direct Line. Also if you have a partner that insures another car thay you are a insured on thats another way as again direct line will match the time you have been on that policy.

I dont believe that is true, it depends on the insurer. If you get a letter from the company that have provided the company car with the insurance details and timescales etc and some companies will give you some no claims bonus. I have done this before when I first started driving with Direct Line. Also if you have a partner that insures another car thay you are a insured on thats another way as again direct line will match the time you have been on that policy.

Yes, sorry you are absolutely right there. I answered the question (the official NCB has now been lost) but I didn't expand to say that if proof of claim free company car experience can be provided then some companies can give you an introductory bonus based on that.

Ollie

Sky Insurance

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Ollie, i need to cancel my policy as ive now sold my supra, could you just fill me in on what i need to do please and the address of where i need to send my documents back to?

thanks.

Hi,

if you do not have a car to replace the Supra with, please send your certificate of insurance back to us with a letter stating you would like the policy cancelled, with todays date and your signature.

Sky Insurance

56 Southbury Road

Enfield

Middlesex

EN1 1YB

Thank you.

Hi,

if you do not have a car to replace the Supra with, please send your certificate of insurance back to us with a letter stating you would like the policy cancelled, with todays date and your signature.

Sky Insurance

56 Southbury Road

Enfield

Middlesex

EN1 1YB

Thank you.

thanks mate.

• 1 month later...

well isnt this just peachy, renewal time :(

as per usual, wait for skys quote to come through, call adrian flux, get lower quote, call back sky for a match. same old story from day 1.

except this time, they cant match it. then, hang on a sec, they can if they change to chaucer.

"thats fine" says i, "lets just do it. with agreed value please :)"

"oh thats an extra £75."

"fine by me. as i have no choice really. Can i call and pay on friday please? thats when i get paid"

"of course, i'll leave a note stating that so the policy doesnt expire/lapse*"

*cant remember the exact term

call up today to pay, and theres confusion left right and centre. apparently the figures are wrong, chaucer dont do agreed value etc etc. worst of all i find out my car hasnt been insured since yesterday morning!! at no point was that made clear or explained to me. i've paid up, but just had a think and im fumming!!! going to look around elsewhere and see what i can do. im sick of having to go through this every year. last year they lost all my paperwork so my agreed value wasnt confirmed till half way through the policy. i can get insured through Adrian Flux for £825 without guaranteed value, or £925ish with sky with guaranteed value.

Considering:

a) the cars off road for a few more months and has been for the last year and a half

b). since last renewal i have done less than 5 miles

c). the car is garaged over night and the garage is alarmed, which is linked to the local police force, never mind the whopping great big white transit parked in front of it (hell even i cant get to my own car sometimes, let alone some pikey scumbag!!)

d). it has a cat 1 alarm with full sms and tracking

e). the policy is limited to 1500miles

f). im 29 and have had a full uk licence for 11 years

g). licence is clean - not even a parking ticket to my name

I still get quoted ridiculous amounts. £925 for something that will only see daylight for a few days a year?? its not worth it. keep an eye on the for sale section cos once its done im sticking it in there and then im off. frikin' ridiculous amount to pay "just in case something goes wrong while its parked up in fort Knox.

Anyways, anyone got any recomendations on who to try? ideally with guaranteed value, but not the end of the world if the figures right...

Thanks.

Edit: A-Plan, have just beat the quote by over £200.. £500 excess but it can be protected for £40 so basically its gonna be a £40 excess if that makes sense. no guaranteed value but a £200 saving out weighs guaranteed value in my current situation. Also allows me to do 6,000 miles per year

im going to continue shopping.....

editII: Spoke to Nicola again, she was quite helpful so pat on the back for her :) Jae's in a meeting for the rest of the afternoon and Oli's off today. but she did say to call back once i have best price and they will see what they can do. unfortunately it looks like im going to loose out on the admin fee as i panicked and paid to renew :(

feeling better now :)

Edited by hiten55 (see edit history)

ok update:

Keith michaels plc have just given me £575, £500 excess, 1000 per year (or 2000 for an extra £50), PLUS trackdays for around £70 - £80 per day if they are marshalled.

back on the phone = see what else i can get.... :D

Hiten, would it not be cheaper to just insure the car for the day if you only did 5 miles in the whole year. Esp as the car is in a garage and you have a transit van blocking it including tracker. Personally just makes a lot of sense to do that then insure it for the whole year.

ok this is now getting ridiculous beyond belief!!!

i got a pheonominal quote from Livingstones:

£472!!!!

£350 excess

protected ncb

legal cover (£20)

AND GUARANTEED VALUE!!!! (which is £25 incidently)

without legal and gauranteed value the price is £427!!!

with both of those it still £453 cheaper than sky.

so i ring sky to cancel, expecting to pay some kind of admin fee. they want....ready for this.... i hope your sitting down.....

£220+ for cancelation!!!!

id expect £20 or something similar, but im am not prepared to pay that kind of figure for insuring my car for 5 hours!!!!

aparently its not their fault i decided to hunt around at the last possible minute (fair point), and it states in the documentation that there are penalties to pay. fair point too.

but thats just ridiculous. they cant match the price, which i dont expect them too. but a bit of leaway would be nice. i said im prepared to pay £50, even £70 but not £200+.

ive asked to speak to Jae, but was told he doesnt deal with small or remedial matters such as this. this is not a small matter, maybe to them, but to me £200 is a blatant attempt to cash in. Either way, im waiting for a call back. goes against whats previously been said by Jae on here about contacting him if we have any issues.....

not looking good though. problem is, if they quote wasnt soo high in the first place i would stay. why not? but theres no justification if others are quoting lower. far as i can see the policy is the same, just a different company.

i'll keep you posted....

I'm with livingstones, They came out cheapest by far, And of course have AGREED VALUE which is so important to us Supra owners. If you are a member of the other Supra club ( not to mention any names ) You will get an even bigger discount as they are their club insurer. I have met Mr Livingstone himself as there main office is only 20 mins from me and he is a really nice chap. I really recommend them to anyone who want's cheaper insurance and AGREED VALUE :)