The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sky Insurance - best policy, best price, best service

Sky is just like another insurance company, bin the renew letter and ring around for better quote and ask them to beat it.

"

Well i tried ringing around for a good quote, before i rang Sky to see if they could beat it. But i was told that the quote i had got from A-plan was too low for them and they couldn't even match, let alone beat it.

Said it before, I will say it again.

They are in it to make money, any company that fails to make money in the current climate will go bust.

Shop around for the best price if you have the time, just take the renewal if you dont. If they cannot match your best price then shock horror, you go with the company that gave you the best price.

It is the way of the world people. Your life will not be presented to you on a plate, you have to work at things.

My renewal is in, £100 more than last year, BUT actually cheaper than my renewal last year. I will be shopping around as I always do.

Guest gzaerojon

that is of course if sky gave customers the chance to shop around.

ive never in my life been with an insurance company that automatically renew the policy...

acording to Amber credit who provide the credit i only ever signed one 12 month agreement but somehow that has applied till now, and that was 2006 :blink:

no help from sky, just kept being past from pillar to post between amber and sky.

looks like small claims court is next..

ive never in my life been with an insurance company that automatically renew the policy...
I've had insurance with both the AA and Admiral and both have automatically renewed when I've paid by anything other than an up front, in full payment.

It's the same as mobile phone contracts. You sign a contract/credit agreement for 12 months but they don't cut you off on the last day, you have to contact them and ask to close your account.

It's happened to me in the past too.A few times i've had to contact my insurance company to close my account, when my 12 month policy is up.Followed by a trip to my bank to cancel the direct debit that i set up 12 months previous, just to be safe.

I agree with Branners.Always shop about when it comes to insurance renewals as 9/10 there's savings to be had elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Sky im very displeased at being charged more to insure a lesser car to the end of the policy. Youve blatantly ripped me off because of the position im in.

Guys if you want to change your car mid policy do not choose sky, i can understand a small admin charge of say £15 but £77 is a joke.

I cant quite get my head round it:-

Supra import

group 20

280bhp

no traction control

rear wheel drive

easy to break into

Mods including bodykit, wheels, exhaust

Changing to

2002 Type r uk

group 17 or 18?

197bhp

traction control

front wheel drive

not as easy to break into

Completely stock

Edited by Rayman (see edit history)

Sky im very displeased at being charged more to insure a lesser car to the end of the policy. Youve blatantly ripped me off because of the position im in.

Guys if you want to change your car mid policy do not choose sky, i can understand a small admin charge of say £15 but £77 is a joke.

I cant quite get my head round it:-

Supra import

group 20

280bhp

no traction control

rear wheel drive

easy to break into

Mods including bodykit, wheels, exhaust

Changing to

2002 Type r uk

group 17 or 18?

197bhp

traction control

front wheel drive

not as easy to break into

Completely stock

Did the operator give any reason for the charge? If you would like me to have a look into it give me a PM

Jae

Crikey, 3 posts about your annoyance with this now, it's really upset you!

How much would it cost to replace the Supra in a total loss vs the Civic? How many claims have the underwriters had on Civics compared with Supras? A fair few more I suspect.

It might be a "lesser" car in your eyes but it's clearly a higher risk in those of the insurer so you are being asked for more money. Other companies might not share this view so you could save money by moving elsewhere.

Did the operator give any reason for the charge? If you would like me to have a look into it give me a PM

Jae

Yes he said it was newer so therefore more expensive to insure. I dont buy that im afraid, supra is more open to vandalism and getting nicked if you ask me.

i will pm you thanks

Crikey, 3 posts about your annoyance with this now, it's really upset you!

How much would it cost to replace the Supra in a total loss vs the Civic? How many claims have the underwriters had on Civics compared with Supras? A fair few more I suspect.

It might be a "lesser" car in your eyes but it's clearly a higher risk in those of the insurer so you are being asked for more money. Other companies might not share this view so you could save money by moving elsewhere.

Its really got under my skin im afraid, you can see where im coming from tho cant you, i totally take on board the whole claims thing and that and the type r might get more. But ive been with them three years etc, its these little things that keeps me coming to them the next year for my insurance. I am Mr loyal, these guys could have me every year for the rest of my life, i keep on coming back as long i dont see a reason to change.

Its a hidden cost this for me maybe that why it got to me so much, i really wasnt expecting more than an admin fee.

Edited by Rayman (see edit history)

You have to remember Sky are a broker. They will try their hardest to get you insurance from the best underwriter available to them when you take out your policy. However, the cheapest underwriter for a Supra may not be the cheapest for a Type R, but if you swap half way through your policy you have little choice but either pay the higher premium for the Type R from the Supra friendly underwriter you're currently with, or you cancel that policy and take out a new one with the Type R friendly underwriter. Unfortunately once cancellation and administrations fees are taken into consideration cancelling a policy and starting a new one rarely works out cheaper then just paying the high fee on your currently polity. :(

When your insurance comes up for renewal you can hopefully swap to a cheaper underwriter.

You have to remember Sky are a broker. They will try their hardest to get you insurance from the best underwriter available to them when you take out your policy. However, the cheapest underwriter for a Supra may not be the cheapest for a Type R, but if you swap half way through your policy you have little choice but either pay the higher premium for the Type R from the Supra friendly underwriter you're currently with, or you cancel that policy and take out a new one with the Type R friendly underwriter. Unfortunately once cancellation and administrations fees are taken into consideration cancelling a policy and starting a new one rarely works out cheaper then just paying the high fee on your currently polity. :(

When your insurance comes up for renewal you can hopefully swap to a cheaper underwriter.

That is exactly the case, QBE hate the civic type R, there currently claims stats are running ar over 200%. Which mean for every pound they collect in premium they pay out 2

Im sure I have said it elsewhere...do not change your car mid policy no matter what it is, and if you have to change it then expect to pay more.

It is a fact of life, you negotiate a really special deal on a supra doing a price match against a low figure, you then change cars, they cannot do a price match (even if there was a discount) so you pay more.

I have been looking at various cars to replace the supra and narrowed them down to a 350z/rx8/evo8....so i gave sky a call today to see what the deal was to switch over in the near future.

All i can say is that im not a happy chappy now, apparently they cannot quote me on the 350z/evo8. I moved both cars over to Sky this year and now i feel like im trapped, if id have stayed with Adrian Flux it would have all been fine as they had already quoted me on the other cars when i got my renewal. Even elephant/direct line etc.... will quote me and Sky are ment to be 'performance' insurers. Im 24 with 6yrs NCB i thought by now my insurance would be simple!

Surely a 500bhp single supra is more at risk than most things! I was then told that out of my £1000 policy on the supra taken out in Feb 2009 that i could have £200 back, thanks!

Guest sldxr50

Just gone with sky insurance today, beat my best quote by nearly £100 and customer service was great (Thanks Luke).

I asked about changing mid policy to EVO V or 200sx and was told would be no problem

• 3 weeks later...

After numerous requests for classic car insurance we are pleased to announce we are now able to give online quotations via our website with a 10% discount to club members (included on screen).

This won't be suitable for a lot of your modified cars and younger drivers but it is very cheap for genuine second car limited miles, classic car stuff.

To get a quick quote (under 2 minutes) for your classic/collectors vehicle follow the link below. If you need any help, or are unable to get an online quote then please contact one on our advisors, by phone or via the websites call back request.

http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/classics/index.html

• 2 weeks later...
After numerous requests for classic car insurance we are pleased to announce we are now able to give online quotations via our website with a 10% discount to club members (included on screen).

This won't be suitable for a lot of your modified cars and younger drivers but it is very cheap for genuine second car limited miles, classic car stuff.

To get a quick quote (under 2 minutes) for your classic/collectors vehicle follow the link below. If you need any help, or are unable to get an online quote then please contact one on our advisors, by phone or via the websites call back request.

http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/classics/index.html

What exactly does qualify for this ?

My supe is 1993 (16years old), and used every day with a few cosmetic mods. Would that qualify ?

On another note, is it just my insurance thats going up each year ?

2 years ago i was paying £580 on my 93 jspec N/A (5years no claims, 31years old, 5000miles max per annum)

Last year it was £639 6years no claims, 32years old 5000miles max per annum

This year im quoted, £685 7 years no claims, 33 years old 5000miles max per annum

This is getting silly, its meant to get lower the older and more experienced you get ?