The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rattles and squeaks?

Chiefgroover

1:- Centre of dash rattles and squeaks also comes from windscreen vents.

2:- The centre console glove box/ arm rest thing catch rattles unless slightly flicked open.

3:- Glove box rattles sometimes.

4:- Annoying squeaky rattle from pass rear 1/4 panel somewhere.

5:- Very subtle rattle inside drivers door.

6:- Rear coil springs rattle or rub sometimes.

7:- Very irritating rustling sound heard inside car all the time on drivers side. Sounds like its from behind dash originating in the engine bay and fluctuates with revs.

8:- Very irritating ticking sound from passenger side inside car from the Injectors I think.

9:- Drivers side seatbelt catch squeaks everytime I breathe in. (No i'm not fat either)

Good point Nic....;)

As I have a very annoying rattle in the rear somewhere, cant figure that one and keep saying to my mate that one day I will throw him in the back and go for a drive and he can try and locate it.

I also seem to have an annoying rattle on the dash area somewhere around the heater switches/top left air vent which seems to go once the heater has been on for a while and everything warms up.

My gear stick rattles, which Im sure I remember seeing an article on mkivsupra.com which said it was something to do with something inside the gear stick, known fault but cant for the life of me ever find that tech doc again........

Im sure I have another rattle somewhere as well, are yeah, from the front of the car, sounds like a boost pipe or something that only rattle on idle, so I tend to keep blipping the throttle when sat in traffic, do it automatically now as its very annoying and bugs the shit of me....

Also one of my skirts rattle really badly since getting the car back from GVN, but when the car goes back to them to have the bumpers fitted I shall be telling them to sort that one, but it stops if you push the skirt against the car, so shouldnt be too much to sort.

What I have found though, the more a car gets pulled apart, the more it seems to rattle once back together again. Guess the trick here kids is, if its not broken dont fix it/pull it apart in the first place ;)

A few tips on what been working for me include.

Cloth Tape http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280173887585&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=018. Wrapping all wiring you have added, also and cables that rest against metal you can get at. Merc use this big time in their cars. You can also line the edges of dash panels etc.

Teflon grease, again used by merc garages to sort squeaks, very good on clips and plastic edges, a tiny amount works wonders.

Tighten up your dash, and support bar. The metal bar that goes pillar to pillar behind the dash needs re torqued in most cars and has a good effect. I was able to turn my bolts 1/4 turn and more. Also the dash to bulkhead bolts will take quite a tightening as they slacken a fair bit too. Just dont over do it with a pull bar lol.

Toyota recommend re torqing the chassis bolts every 36K, if driving hard and bumpy road/hard suspension is your game then maybe every 24K.

I've got sqeeks/light rattle from somewhere behind the plastic on the boot hatch. It's nothing to do with the rubbers. I'm not sure how to stop things like this, maybe you could get into that in your writeup (if you're doing that).

Also, the stock tweeter is rattleing. I've had that fixed by creating a small stick by folding paper and covering that with black tape and fitting it in between the tweeter and the dash. But it's just started rattleing again.

The rear view mirror was rattleing or kind of resonating with the exhaust/engine at low speeds or at idle. Fixed it by unmouting it, and again folding think paper very ting and stuffing it in between the mirror itself and the plastic surrounding it. Very good fix actually since it isnt notisable in any way if done properly.

Some kind of rattle from behind the lower center part of the dash. Not sure whats causing this yet. Does anyone have expirience with it maybe being wire harnesses or ?

Tighten up your dash, and support bar. The metal bar that goes pillar to pillar behind the dash needs re torqued in most cars and has a good effect. Also the dash to bulkhead bolts will take quite a tightening as they slacken a fair bit too. Just dont over do it with a pull bar lol.

Toyota recommend re torqing the chassis bolts every 36K, if driving hard and bumpy road/hard suspension is your game then maybe every 24K.

Where do you get to these bolts? I mean, both the support bar bolts, the blukhead and the chassis bolts? It would be a great addition to a possible write up with description or even better pics of this (maybe just do a drawing of where approx. it is on a pic of the dash without taking it apart?)

My car's developed a rattle/squeek from the whole dashboard recently. I took the dashboard panels off, and had a look behind, really to find that a few of the retaining clips/fitments snapped off and even some of the mounting screws missing etc.

I checked all the wiring and components behind there, which looked fine, and then reattached it all nice and tight again. The rattle/squeek is still there!

Its very annoying when driving at 30/40mph on the patchwork tarmac roads we have around Eastbourne :(

I wouldn't mind having the panels for a whole new dashboard and the milometer/warning lights upper dashboard thingy, and renew it all, but I'd imagine they're quite expensive.

Edited by AndrewOW (see edit history)

• 6 months later...

mine squeeks a bit, from dashboard area, found that the dash part around the oil warning lights is a lot to do with it, found 2 screws missing, noticed when i took it off to do dry solder joints, hold it with my hand when driving and it goes so definalty that, replaced my boots rubbers the other month so no more banging from the back, dont really bother me, can only notice it if on really bad roads.

yay..so I'm not alone! been trying to find a really annoying metallic object thats rattling at the back when I take a hard right. Stripped the whole boot and couldnt find anything...really frustrating and its still there...just saw nic's write'up bout underneath the petrol tank...if I can get there will have a quick check.

have also just purchased carbing front and rear strut bars so hoping this will get rid of a lot of the rattles :D

I have got three:

1. Somewhere in the boot, something is rattling and becomes louder at lower revs...

2. Because i have a stupid gearknob and is not covering the length of the gearstick, the plasic things on the end of the gearstick which help the lift-up reverse bit is rattling at lower speeds also...

3. My Bloody Gearbox/clutch is rattling! :(

• 6 months later...

I know this is a long time resurrection but better then duplicating posts.

I have a few rattles in the Supe which really takes the enjoyment out of the car at times for me. I am looking at getting them sorted.

So this thread may prove to be a helpful pointer for others who are looking to combat their rattles at some stage in the near future.

I think my boot rubbers are squaking, but i also have an annoying but subtle rattle from both my door cards. Grrrrrrrrrrr!!

Might have to get me some Teflon grease as recommended.

Cheers.

1) Rattle from the center of my dashboard; Took my panels off and turned out one of the mounting holes/lugs for the dashboard was broken. Superglue fixed this.

2) Rattle within driver's side door panel. Fixed this before but can't remember what it was. Got to do with the power window system.

3) Rattle from the front part within the bonnet. The bonnet stand was rubbing against the chassis. Wrapped the support with some cloth right where it gets into the clip and fixed the rattle.

4) Rattle from the rear. Must be the boot rubber thingo. Will have a look later when it's sunny.

5) My exhaust is droning like mad. I think there's a leak somewhere...

• 3 years later...

Sorry to bump a really ancient thread but with the boot rubber problem what should I be looking for to show they are worn???? I was tempted to remove all the tools ect to check it is not that... I was wondering if it is brake related although it only seams the back left of the car is where the noise is coming from.