The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why is spelling and grammar so poor on this forum?

DaveK

Hah! Amateur! ;)

You think that's bad, try http://www.just-kroozin.co.uk, a Brummajum cruisng site. People there are great people, but they spell as they speak :) Phonetic yam-yam is not easy at all . . . . .

That site would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad & so bad... and the chief moderator is a Supra owner :blink:

Shame as the forum is down due to hackers, but if you 'bare' with them it will be back soon

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I edited the wrong hyperlink out of your post, You must've read it before I corrected me mistake.

Not you. I was referring to TBourner's post here (Link taken from your second example)

I'm really not (although people always seem to think I am) but it might look like that to you as we are at cross purposes.

I think you need to change that aviator picture Jake:D When ever you reply to someones thread with a disagreement they must look at your picture and it just says shut the fcuk up:D

That must be the reason you get so much grief whenever you post:p:d

Leathal Weapon 4

Great movie. I got the reference :)

Well that was a jolly 11 pages of light evening entertainment.

In the trend of the early posts...

I'm 23 and I went to a sh*t school where probably only 30% of my year group got 4 GCSE A-C grades. They were mainly chavvy, lazy f*cks with no desire to succeed.

I can spell (usually) and am obsessed with using correct grammar. I'm also a massive pedant and detest poor spelling, incorrect grammar and text (that's text, not txt) speak in any kind of publication. I think it's unnecessary and a stabbing reminder of the unfortunate evolution of the Queen's English.

However, I disagree with the posts in this thread that equate poor spelling and grammar with a lack of intelligence. I know plenty of very intelligent people that just couldn't/wouldn't learn or be taught proper English at school. It's usually a lack of application and a reflection of the growing restlessness of today's youth and their desire for more sophisticated entertainment and stimulation, not a lack of cognitive capacity. I, for one, certainly didn't learn spelling and grammar from my school teachers, they were crap.

On the other hand, I also know people that can spell and use grammar very well but are otherwise completely useless.

I also think it's unfair to attempt to publicly humiliate people for their poor spelling and grammar, however annoying you find it. As other's have said, the forum is informal and should be welcoming and accepting of all members with a particular shared interest (that would be the Supra).

I hope no-one thinks this is a personal attack towards any individual or group, I just thought I'd share my view. Besides, it seems like all the cool people are doing it.

And I'm bored. Really, really bored. :(

And in a final attempt to sound less like a self-righteous plick (see what I did there? With the 'plick' thing? No?) ... er... bollocks, I can't :blink:

I think the general issue is that this is a friendly forum, many topics create a lot of interest so people get into it and reply quickly and make keyboard errors, afterall does it really matter? this is not an english exam. 964 forums are probably anal english gentleman who only want to discuss the mechanical problems they have. I realise that text speak or blatant non comprehensive words area a pain but if you have time to compare forum grammar levels then you need to see a psych as you spend too much time talking on the net, and talking to people face to face is the real skill in life, which there is no qualifiation for.Also a lot of people are drunk online which does not help:)

Great movie. I got the reference :)

Well that was a jolly 11 pages of light evening entertainment.

In the trend of the early posts...

I'm 23 and I went to a sh*t school where probably only 30% of my year group got 4 GCSE A-C grades. They were mainly chavvy, lazy f*cks with no desire to succeed.

I can spell (usually) and am obsessed with using correct grammar. I'm also a massive pedant and detest poor spelling, incorrect grammar and text (that's text, not txt) speak in any kind of publication. I think it's unnecessary and a stabbing reminder of the unfortunate evolution of the Queen's English.

However, I disagree with the posts in this thread that equate poor spelling and grammar with a lack of intelligence. I know plenty of very intelligent people that just couldn't/wouldn't learn or be taught proper English at school. It's usually a lack of application and a reflection of the growing restlessness of today's youth and their desire for more sophisticated entertainment and stimulation, not a lack of cognitive capacity. I, for one, certainly didn't learn spelling and grammar from my school teachers, they were crap.

On the other hand, I also know people that can spell and use grammar very well but are otherwise completely useless.

I also think it's unfair to attempt to publicly humiliate people for their poor spelling and grammar, however annoying you find it. As other's have said, the forum is informal and should be welcoming and accepting of all members with a particular shared interest (that would be the Supra).

I hope no-one thinks this is a personal attack towards any individual or group, I just thought I'd share my view. Besides, it seems like all the cool people are doing it.

And I'm bored. Really, really bored. :(

And in a final attempt to sound less like a self-righteous plick (see what I did there? With the 'plick' thing? No?) ... er... bollocks, I can't :blink:

I think the general issue is that this is a friendly forum, many topics create a lot of interest so people get into it and reply quickly and make keyboard errors, afterall does it really matter? this is not an english exam. 964 forums are probably anal english gentleman who only want to discuss the mechanical problems they have. I realise that text speak or blatant non comprehensive words area a pain but if you have time to compare forum grammar levels then you need to see a psych as you spend too much time talking on the net, and talking to people face to face is the real skill in life, which there is no qualifiation for.Also a lot of people are drunk online which does not help:)

All this is so true. I dont think anyone can argue with that.

• 1 year later...