The mkiv Supra Owners Club

convert!!

danny_silva

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i went 0.5mm deap!! that is what the std one is...

Fair enough, but what I'm saying is that 0.5mm at the top where the factory cut is, could be a solid piece, it could be a thicker part of the dampner... it could be thinner..however a bit of research like that could save you from dropping the front end of the car on the road in the event that dampner wall folds or something similar.

The only problem with this mechanically is the spring MAY come off its seats at full rebound, depends how much lower you cut the lowest groove, and the free length of the spring in use. Given the spring RATE stays the same you have a real risk of suspension bottoming onto the bump stops, far more than the set up was designed for, with a resultant almost instantaneous rise in spring rate, with a very unpredictable, and possibly dangerous effect on handling.

IE, if you lower like this you should really increase the spring rate.

Guest DaveWilko

Btw just because something is done 'on the cheap' doesn't mean it is bodged. I have more respect for someone who comes up with something like this than someone who just buys bits and sticks them on as long as the engineering is sound. Ok we know it would be a better solution to buy a coilover kit but we don't all have £500-£900 spare

Btw just because something is done 'on the cheap' doesn't mean it is bodged. I have more respect for someone who comes up with something like this than someone who just buys bits and sticks them on as long as the engineering is sound. Ok we know it would be a better solution to buy a coilover kit but we don't all have £500-£900 spare

A proper set of lowering springs would provide a lower ride height and the correct spring rate (Cheers Chris, couldn't think of the term :thumbs: ). Lowering springs aren't that expensive and are a much better option.

*SPECIAL* - Espilir Active GT Springs for 1993-98 Supra

Part # Esp ESG012

Espilir is considered one of the premier spring companies in Japan, offering a great ride with superior handling and quality.

These springs retail for $340 and normally sell for $272. Through negotiations with Espilir, *** is the ONLY dealer to offer these springs at such an incredible price!

These springs lower your front 10mm and your rear 15mm.

Their spring rate is:

Front: 9.6 kg/mm / 538 lbs/in

Rear: 4.6 kg/mm / 258 lbs/in

MSRP $340.00

Your Price $272.00

Sale Price $165.00

Just an example... fair enough add some shipping, but it is still WAY under £900

Guest DaveWilko

Thanks Chris. Very good point. I didn't think of that. Its great to have a club with guys with your knowledge and experience around and willing to keep us amateurs from killing ourselves :D He seems to have it sussed though

Guest DaveWilko
Just an example... fair enough add some shipping, but it is still WAY under £900

Thanks Gav. Must have a look at that. Looks like that would work out very cheap. I was looking at suspension stuff tonight. Found this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/D2-Adjustable-Suspension-TOYOTA-SUPRA-JZA80-93_W0QQitemZ140164199695QQihZ004QQcategoryZ130653QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

Was so tempted to give the credit card a battering lol. D2 seems to be a very respected company down under

Thanks Chris. Very good point. I didn't think of that. Its great to have a club with guys with your knowledge and experience around and willing to keep us amateurs from killing ourselves :D He seems to have it sussed though

He's doing nothing wrong, I was just giving a worst case scenario in case someone decides to machine seats about 100 mm lower than stock. You need to understand and calculate wheel to spring ratios to know how much to drop the clip groove, BTW, or very unsuspected results will be forthcoming.

Guest DaveWilko
If you fit lowering springs with standard shocks it will reduce the damper travel too. He isn't being stupid about how much he is lowering it. If he was talking about 10cm I would be horrified but the amount he is talking about isn't unusual for lowering springs

:D Ok I had the right idea, just the wrong rationale for it lol

sorry for changing the conversation!!

but if i buy a turbo kit for a tt engine and them buy a manifold for my n/a making sure that the turbo will fit!!

will i be ok??

The price of the full kit is very good!! that is why i'm asking all of this!!

once more sorry!!

Danny

Please start a new thread for this.

Was slightly dismayed at how quickly some people layed the boot in without getting the facts. It doesn't encourage people to post

Oh ffs, get off your high horse. It's a potentially very dangerous 'modification' which has no research gone into it whatsoever; people aren't "laying the boot in", they've just been round long enough to see other people trying the same old shit - cheap bodge-jobs because they can't afford to properly run/maintain and/or modify the car.