The mkiv Supra Owners Club

convert!!

danny_silva

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DaveWilko
Oh ffs, get off your high horse. It's a potentially very dangerous 'modification' which has no research gone into it whatsoever; people aren't "laying the boot in", they've just been round long enough to see other people trying the same old shit - cheap bodge-jobs because they can't afford to properly run/maintain and/or modify the car.

Wooooo! Listen to yourself! I'm not on any high horse but it sounds like you are. :p Lighten up willya? I was only commenting that some people didnt even give the man a chance to explain what he was doing before criticising. Why dont you read the thread again. It is not a cheap 'bodge job'. Just a simple mod. Is the 'true TT' mod a bodge job? It doesn't involve buying any performance parts either. Chris has said he is doing nothing wrong as long as he doesn't go too low which he isn't

Why dont you read the thread again. It is not a cheap 'bodge job'. Just a simple mod. Is the 'true TT' mod a bodge job? It doesn't involve buying any performance parts either. Chris has said he is doing nothing wrong as long as he doesn't go too low which he isn't

:rolleyes: Maybe you should read the thread. Chris also said:

Given the spring RATE stays the same you have a real risk of suspension bottoming onto the bump stops, far more than the set up was designed for, with a resultant almost instantaneous rise in spring rate, with a very unpredictable, and possibly dangerous effect on handling.

IE, if you lower like this you should really increase the spring rate.

and

You need to understand and calculate wheel to spring ratios to know how much to drop the clip groove, BTW, or very unsuspected results will be forthcoming.

It's common sense that the stock springs are set up for the stock dampers and the stock length of damper travel. Hence, the stock springs on stock dampers with significantly less damper travel means that the springs (& dampers) will be operating in a way they weren't designed to do. Whether this could lead to dangerous / unpredictable handling, shitty ride quality, etc. I don't know.

I'm not saying it's not a clever idea, machining the extra grooves in. Fair play for thinking it up. What I am saying is, IMO, it is a particularly stupid idea to use the stock springs, especially when properly designed lowering springs exist on the market to do the job already, at a very reasonable price.

• 1 month later...

I've been round the bilstein factory in Germany and I can tell you now, the insides of a 3 seat damper are different to that of a 1 seat damper. The work and money that goes into tuning the piston shims within a damper would mean that by just cutting 3 grooves into the damper, you are seriously affecting the way that it works.

Yes Bilstein make the three grooves, I've seen them machine them in, but the shim pack of the pistons vary dependent upon each version of the damper setups. I wouldn't personally do this to standard Bilsteins, however I know that Tein used to make dampers with this system, not sure if the cheaper versions they currently do use them though.

I like the Bilstein mod you have shown Nic, but in principle it will have the same issues, after seeing the Bilstein factory and talking to their engineers, I wouldn't want to ever mix and match dampers and springs, I would want a fully engineered package.