The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My T61 and Airbox Pics

Gaz6002

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi mate,

Im not a authorised trader on this club so wouldnt like to discuss business on the boards as it shows a complete lack of respect for the rules and the other traders, feel free to give me a call to disscuss your project.

:)

James

Yeah, I should know better, Gaz passed me your number, but havent phoned yet as Im still waiting to get the car back......;)

Gaz6002,

Is your oil feed to the turbo usually at that weird angle? That can't be doing it any good.

We had fitment issues with the whole PHR turbo setup as it sits at a funny angle on the manifold. As stated Jake, it's a work in progress and isn't even running on boost yet :) but yes, for now it sits at that angle and seems to work fine.

Hi Jake could you elaborate??

From what I've heard from several tuners, it best to keep the oil feed and return as close to vertical as possible. As I'm sure you know after the little bit of turbo work you've done ( ;) ) the oil feed and drain is gravity fed. If the oil drain is off vertical it can cause hot oil to pool and burn in the cartridge.

This is 2nd hand info, but every trader I've heard from (except turbofit) recommend to keep it within 5 degrees of vertical.

Edit - erm, and also CW in the post above :D

From what I've heard from several tuners, it best to keep the oil feed and return as close to vertical as possible. As I'm sure you know after the little bit of turbo work you've done ( ;) ) the oil feed and drain is gravity fed. If the oil drain is off vertical it can cause hot oil to pool and burn in the cartridge.

This is 2nd hand info, but every trader I've heard from (except turbofit) recommend to keep it within 5 degrees of vertical.

Edit - erm, and also CW in the post above :D

The oil FEED is most definitely NOT gravity fed, it's at full pump pressure. On ball bearing turbos FLOW may be limited by a restrictor, but pressure is still line pressure. the drain is by gravity though.

If the supply is pressurized (which it is) then surely then return is too. Seeing as the turbo is a sealed unit I mean.

Jake, that is not the case.

Only feed is pressurised.

It is not a sealed unit for oil circulation purposes, the return is connected to the crankcase which is nowhere near oil pump pressures!

That's why the return needs to have a diameter several times larger than the feed, too.

Just catching up with this thread this morning, the way i see it with any amount of pressure over .5 bar going through the supply line will ensure perfect oil supply to the turbo.

Once again thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

James

It's not the oil supply thats the issue, it's the drain. It it's too far off verical the oil won't drain properly and will cook inside the cartridge. At least this is what I've always been told...