The mkiv Supra Owners Club

£150 to fit a boost controller?!

Matt H

he said i didnt need it and recommended i took it off. so i was just like oh o.k at the time

You obviously know much more about these things nowadays so I'd just stop being a lazy ass and do it myself if I were you.

I'm sure there was a good reason for it. He doesn't just randomly recommend removing car parts for the sake of it you know!

Maybe things that are superfluous, likely to be the root of a problem, or cause a future problem. Perhaps like Matt says it was badly fitted in the first place.

As for cost, it's worth asking what they include for this. A decent boost controller can have mapping elements also.

You obviously know much more about these things nowadays so I'd just stop being a lazy ass and do it myself if I were you.

I'm sure there was a good reason for it. He doesn't just randomly recommend removing car parts for the sake of it you know!

Maybe things that are superfluous, likely to be the root of a problem, or cause a future problem. Perhaps like Matt says it was badly fitted in the first place.

As for cost, it's worth asking what they include for this. A decent boost controller can have mapping elements also.

Agree with Pete here Matt. CW wouldn't unwittingly remove anything that you needed unless it wasn't performing correctly in the first place. He's a stock man through and through though, hence he favours reliability over performance mods.

Boost Controllers can be a right nightmare. Why don't you just get a 1.2 RR and use a boost gauge instead mate?

Agree with Pete here Matt. CW wouldn't unwittingly remove anything that you needed unless it wasn't performing correctly in the first place. He's a stock man through and through though, hence he favours reliability over performance mods.

Boost Controllers can be a right nightmare. Why don't you just get a 1.2 RR and use a boost gauge instead mate?

I dont really want to get into the whole thing to be honest, removing the boost controller isnt the issue thats stopping me going back, he recommened that and i agreed so nothing to quibble about in that respect.

No problems Matt - just checking mate.

What Boost Controller are you looking to fit, or have I missed that? Just trying to understand your setup too. You running J-specs or Hybrids?

EDIT: Ignore me, see your running hybrids on 550's so you're intending to up the boost to about 1.4 then?

Consider that cheap. I made the fatal mistake of taking mine to TDI.... first and last time. They connected the boost guage to the wrong place so it was reading 1.5 bar with the BC switched off! They took 6 hours at £90/hour and cut a piece of my dash, and also then hot-glue'd the BC to the dash. Anyone with a Blitz SBC-ID will know it has infrared sensors on the side, which i had to clean with a sharp blade to get the glue out of. They also set it to have a set of 50 and a gain of 1... completely wrong. I'm pulling it out this weekend to check if they connected the throttle position sensor wire to the correct place as scramble boost doesn't seem to kick in. Oh, and one of the plastic clips on my dash was broken...

Consider that cheap. I made the fatal mistake of taking mine to TDI.... first and last time. They connected the boost guage to the wrong place so it was reading 1.5 bar with the BC switched off! They took 6 hours at £90/hour and cut a piece of my dash, and also then hot-glue'd the BC to the dash. Anyone with a Blitz SBC-ID will know it has infrared sensors on the side, which i had to clean with a sharp blade to get the glue out of. They also set it to have a set of 50 and a gain of 1... completely wrong. I'm pulling it out this weekend to check if they connected the throttle position sensor wire to the correct place as scramble boost doesn't seem to kick in. Oh, and one of the plastic clips on my dash was broken...

:faint:

Should have got Jemca to fit it... ;)

Just yanking your chain mate, not had much luck with your car and garages have you?

You how the saying goes, if you want a job done right.........

It is wrong though that you should part with hard earned cash and lots of it, to basically have the piss taken with the quality of work.

The only thing that's given me any grief on my car and still isn't right, was the only thing i let someone else do! The Emanage i got fitted and mapped by a trader when i first got the car 4years ago. I've managed to get it working ok myself by not utilising the ignition harness, but with the ignition harness connected still isn't right, being too stubborn and tight to hand my wallet over to the original trader to "investigate" it's being left for now as mortgages and c/tax bills seem to take priorty these days. :(

:) I know what you mean. You should see the job the professionals have done with my:

Gearbox/bumper (Jemca)

Alarm (Advanced alarm somthing or another)

Boost Controller (TDI)

Everything I've ever done myself has been done properly cos I'm a bit of a perfectionist and never gave hassles. Everything I've ever paid for has been overcharged and done badly. There's a lesson here I think.

Everything I've ever done myself has been done properly cos I'm a bit of a perfectionist and never gave hassles. Everything I've ever paid for has been overcharged and done badly. There's a lesson here I think.

fancy helping me figure out why my 1st tubby doesnt want to come and play? few beers in it for you ;)

Been there! never again! he took it off in the first place!

I am sure that Chris can speak for him self, but he would have advised taking of a BC because there is not much point on a JDM car on stock turbo's. Decat and restriction ring = 1.2 bar any more is just daft.

Chris was building a racing while the majority of members were in nappies.

Pampers anyone:diablo: