The mkiv Supra Owners Club

High RPM's

Daston

On a side note...from reading this, it all appears as though you all have a rev limit of under 7500rpm....wasn't the J-spec in standard form limited to 8000rpm? UK to 7200rpm?

I'm just wondering now, my car was reving to 8k before I put it off the road, I had an F Con V, with standard J-spec fueling, noticable power loss after 7500, so never really used it that often, but the limiter was set at 8k

My afr's appeared slightly rich mid 10's but thought that was norm with standard/piggyback ecu's?

Am aiming for high 11's with my new setup

Out of interest.. why would you want to invest such allot of cash in a stroked motor if your aims are just 500hp???

The reason is I wish the engine to do as much work as possible meaning the turbo has less to do and thus less boost and more drivability (thats my understanding) I would also get the engine mapped with boost increased for the odd santa pod meet so I can just turn on the boost controler and set some good times.

On a side note...from reading this, it all appears as though you all have a rev limit of under 7500rpm....wasn't the J-spec in standard form limited to 8000rpm? UK to 7200rpm?

I'm just wondering now, my car was reving to 8k before I put it off the road, I had an F Con V, with standard J-spec fueling, noticable power loss after 7500, so never really used it that often, but the limiter was set at 8k

My afr's appeared slightly rich mid 10's but thought that was norm with standard/piggyback ecu's?

Am aiming for high 11's with my new setup

8k on a stock j-spec engine.... Sounds like murder to me.... Isn't stock rpm limit 6800 on the Jspec??

If that is the case any ideas how it would run on a small single turbo? Might get the block and set it all up with it outside the car. However how drivable would it make the car for the road? I dont want any more than 500bhp however I do want that 500bhp to be on tap throughout the whole rev range

I think you need to have a drive in a small single Supra (T61/GT35), to experience how responsive they are.

I have a GT35R fitted which gives almost instant power, ie. positive boost at around 2K rpm, peak boost around 3K rpm. Even before making positive boost it feels a lot more lively compared to stock sequential setup, as the manifold is far less restrictive. Mine peaked at 542hp at 1.3bar.

My setup makes for a very quick road car, almost instant power on tap from low down in the rev range. At times almost too much power, as it'll easily spin the wheels up in 1st, 2nd and 3rd when accelerating if you just bury the go pedal.

It has a very stable crank and block design, and is shorter stroke, and breathes better. Low end power is sacrificed for top end, via multiple throttle bodies, cams, turbo sizing and port design. It's just a "racier" engine. They also wear out a LOT faster than a 3 litre 2JZ-GTE if you use the revs...

Thanks Chris, so it just a case of burns brighter but lasts half as long;)

Rev limits STOCK.

J-spec/UK Spec 6850rpm

VVTi 7200rpm

MINES ECU REV LIMIT = 8000 I think.

Programmable ECU's....whatever the mapper chooses.

8000rpm on a stock engine & head...(Mines ECU)

Jesus!! I've fallen off my chair.... Does the stock head really make allowances for it to flow that much air??

All the parts to build a long stoke 2JZ are available in the highest possible quality from me, from high end UK makers, no need to buy stuff from the US. It will cost you though, you need a decent spec steel to make a proper 3.4 stroke crank, as their is little pin overlap. I quoted prices a while back in another thread. Availability is about 6 weeks.

Not having as a go Nik... But why do people make out that spinning up in 1st,2nd and 3rd is an achievement.. Isnt it about getting mods to keep the power down:)

Maybe its me at 35 im getting old and don't get turned on by burnouts and back end twitching whilst eating tyres.

Whats the potential long term damage, apart from the obvious, conrod failure, but if my fueling was not too bad, I dont suspect much,

The car runs perfectly, and reliably too, why would mines set their limit to 8000?

Was that with supporting mods?

In response to suprafan, all manufacturers generally factor in a safety margin for engine rev limits, your air intake is also limited by the rpm of the turbos, so you would not be taking 'more' air in, just the same amount of air more often

8000rpm on a stock engine & head...(Mines ECU)

Jesus!! I've fallen off my chair.... Does the stock head really make allowances for it to flow that much air??

NO :) I expect they expect you to use one in conjunction with cams etc...

Not having as a go Nik... But why do people make out that spinning up in 1st,2nd and 3rd is an achievement.. Isnt it about getting mods to keep the power down:)

Depends how you drive it and feed in the power, I did say IF you buried the go pedal it will spin up, I'm not suggesting that is what I do :)

Maybe its me at 35 im getting old and don't get turned on by burnouts and back end twitching whilst eating tyres.

It's a reasonable universal indicator of power, rather than quoting a number or showing a dyno chart. I don't think he's going all Wangan on us just yet.

And it's "Nic" :p

-Ian

All the parts to build a long stoke 2JZ are available in the highest possible quality from me, from high end UK makers, no need to buy stuff from the US. It will cost you though, you need a decent spec steel to make a proper 3.4 stroke crank, as their is little pin overlap. I quoted prices a while back in another thread. Availability is about 6 weeks.

I'd be interested to know the prices.. How long would it take u to assemble?

I have always wondered, wouldnt you lose torque if you de-stroked the supra?

And what would be the better track orientated car, the car that revs to 10k rpm but starts to loses torque around 7k, or the car that revs to 7500 and starts to lose torque around 7k,

Are you not going to change gear after the dip in your power band anyways?

In short, is there any need to rev really high, if you can get the same amount of power within a smaller rev range that you will be using?