TOTB update thread.

Muffleman

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The "proofs in the pudding", The cam belt tensioner snapped and my belt was history. I put a new belt on the car put it all back together started it up and it was'nt running properly.

Checked the compresion and it was'nt good. I stripped the engine back down and found all my exhaust valves had just touched the top of the pistons and caused them to bend ever so slightly enough for them not to seat. When I say slightly there was the smallest mark on each valve around 2 mm and the carbon had just come off the top of the piston, but enough to write them off!

The cams were also shimed using only Toyota shims nothing custom.

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin,

I have the same cams as you...why might you think the cams would be such an interference? Cam where on tappet shims??

Great going on the stock twins, very impresive!

Thanks

Kevin

Take one '97 TT (non vvti) with standard unopened engine, j spec turbo's and fuel system, add a few choice mods including a self mapped MAP2 ECU along with a smidgen of total lack of mechanical sympathy and you get.......

:nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:

11.90 @ 116 MPH :D

I'm sooo happy I finally cracked it.... and I had a couple of 120 MPH and 121 MPH terminals later in the day (when it got roasting!) which show further potential in the car. More to come!!! :)

Good to see you all again and a big congrats to Justin on his new personal best.

Cheers,

Brian.

Hi guys,

First off well done to everybody. This year seemed to be somewhat of a transformation as everyone took home a working car ;)

Brian and Justin - incredible times, very very well done :D

I was gutted we couldn't get sixth on the top speed, we felt we had a strong chance of that one.

Regards,

Gaz.

What can I say.. All in all a cracking weekend. a BIG THANK YOU to Branners and the supra club for getting everything sorted and Kevin and Envy for getting me there .

At the moment I' running a completly stock motor and unopened with standard j'spec cams. I ran on some race fuel ( for safety as much as anything and no problems and over 600 miles for this weekend. I think 264 cams would help a lot but it just goes to show what a standard supra engine can take:)

I came 5th in the the RWD class just .05 behind 4th just missing out on the finals... And 17 th overall so not bad really. I'll make sure the good engine is back in for next year if Im invited then I'll run some proper boost!

Great to meet everyone and still cant believe I beat Ian at the handling course. I reckon you need to get yourself some lightweight wheels and a decent suspension setup:d

TOTB7.jpg

I must say I had a thoroughly enjoyable weekend. Good company, good drink, good food and good laughs. And Sunday was OK too! :D

I have to say I was thoroughly impressed with the effort put in by "our chaps" who did this at their own expense, giving up their own time to represent the club.

Ian C is right though, TOTB isn't a level playing field (was it ever?) and the likes of our guys stand no chance against those other stripped out "road legal" cars.

But going there, knowing that we don't really have a chance of winning just goes to show some of the club spirit that still exists.

I think what's great about our guys, Robbie, Ian C, Tdr, Justin M,Steve & Adam Sherwood and Kev and his guys at Envy, is how humble they are about it all. Really decent guys who like I said gave up their time, helped each other out, proper team work type stuff.

So well done to all of you, some really impressive performances :thumbs:

That was a good day. Not nice getting up at 4.45 though.

Was a good enjoyable event overall even though it was punctuated with 6 hours of driving there and back. Not pleasant sat in the queue for the circuit for 2.5 hours but hey ho. Shame there were no Porsches, Lambos, Ferraris or Aston Martins to nail this year too.

Big thanks to JB for organising everything, lending pit pass and moving tent to make space for support vehicles, Class One for being a top bloke and also helping me shove in the Pollonium 210 race fuel. If you can still see your hands glowing when you switch your lights out Doug give me a shout I've got some ointment :D. Thanks to Gaz for sorting me race fuel and lending the go faster funnel. There was another gent there who also helped me to remove the optimax from the tank that I wanted to thank but didn't catch who he was. Everybody else from our club was really helpful and nice to be around, sorry if I didn't mention you.

Threw my fat auto with hi-stall round the cone circuit a bit blind really as you don't know where the racing line is and what speed you can get away with round the bends. Might need to slip in another tranny cooler somewhere as was hitting 130 degrees oil temp. I wasn't the slowest Supra though so achieved my aim there. I was thinking about a manual conversion before TOTB but am not now IanC :-) Got interviewed by the presenter lady too so might get on the telly :D

My first 1/4 was 11.65 at 120mph and second was 11.7. (both sans rear spoiler) I was really happy and surprised to get under 12 and beat my best Santa Pod time on that surface? On the first run I couldn't burnout and was defeating the brakes but still got a good launch and no spin for a 1.8 60ft on cold tyres. I was a bit naughty though and had boost at 1.7psi. I had to turn it down to 1.5 for the top speed run as I got det (not surprisingly). I switched back to street tyres for the top speed run which gave an ugly launch. The steering was all over the place at 160+ and the road surface not brilliant.

Brian was going really well but had a moody face on underneath. I think he wanted a 9 :-)

Robbie was running brilliant times as I thought he would. Very very well done mate I was really pleased for you.

Spoke to Envy Kev and he was having trouble burning out too.

Ian what a blinding top speed nice one!

I reckon we put in a much better club performance than last year.

JB will there be a complete class B times list sent to you from Chris Mann?

Bring on next year!

Great to meet everyone and still cant believe I beat Ian at the handling course. I reckon you need to get yourself some lightweight wheels and a decent suspension setup:d

:rlol: very funny

*looks up the Big Book of Racing Excuses* yes well I missed 2nd gear on the launch, and couldn't have another go as the queues got too long, and you ran more boost and had special tyres on whereas I was on my street ones and the dog ate my clutch and global warming.

-Ian

Brian was going really well but had a moody face on underneath. I think he wanted a 9 :-)

^^ That's just my natural face m8!! :)

Need more traction and I'll do better. I didn't think I'd get my 11 before the event so was over the moon to get that but at the same time I know I can go quicker so that was bugging me. Next outing will be at Ultimate Scottish Street Car at Crail up here so will just have to tweak my mapping some more as I still have the remainder of the BFG DR's to burn through. Be interesting to compare my 60ft there as it's a very similar airfield surface.

My boost was 1.1bar on the 1/4 mile runs which goes to show optimised ignition timing (along with slightly leaned out fuelling) can be just as beneficial as more boost - my 121MPH terminals show testament to that. No boost controller as not much point when running a restrictor ring with J spec ceramics.

Thanks for all the nice comments guys :) Envy car seemed to be going nice and strong with only minor issues - hopefully you guys have shed your TOTB curse once and for all now! Robbie - absolutely bril performance considering stock engine / cams. Gives me hope as I'll eventually be going that route with maybe just a set of 264 cams.

Anyways.... off to beat myself up some more! :D

Cheers,

Brian.

Some results from the GTR Register forum:

The Scooby's won the overall team award.

Andy Forest in his Impreza lost to Joel English in his supercharged Viper (Andy slipped out of 1st gear). Joel also set the highest top speed with a 203.3mph terminal.

Andy F beat the Norris Evo in the 4WD final.

The Roger Clark Motorsport Impreza won the individual overall award. Placing 1st in the handling, 2nd in the quarter, and 5th in the top speed run.

Keith Cowie broke the 0 - 300kpm world record in his new spec R32 GTR with a time of 12.6sec. He did 0-100 in 4 seconds and 0-200 in 14 seconds.

The Jun Super Lemon R33 finally recorded a 9sec quarter and backed it up with a 202mph top speed run.

*looks up the Big Book of Racing Excuses* yes well I missed 2nd gear on the launch, and couldn't have another go as the queues got too long, and you ran more boost and had special tyres on whereas I was on my street ones and the dog ate my clutch and global warming.

-Ian

Epic :rlol:

The Dodge Viper looked like it belonged on the road to be fair, very nice car :)

I agree.

Although for me the car with the best sound was the Granada with the supercharged V8. Amazing.

Regards,

Gaz.

Hey guys had a really good day yesterday was great seeing you guys going for it :) and got some really good pictures and footage from the day which i'll get uploaded :)

Epic :rlol:

I agree.

Although for me the car with the best sound was the Granada with the supercharged V8. Amazing.

Regards,

Gaz.

:yeahthat: old school madness :D

Take one '97 TT (non vvti) with standard unopened engine, j spec turbo's and fuel system, add a few choice mods including a self mapped MAP2 ECU along with a smidgen of total lack of mechanical sympathy and you get.......

11.90 @ 116 MPH :D

I'm sooo happy I finally cracked it.... and I had a couple of 120 MPH and 121 MPH terminals later in the day (when it got roasting!) which show further potential in the car. More to come!!! :)

Good to see you all again and a big congrats to Justin on his new personal best.

Cheers,

Brian.

Well done again Brian really good time there matey :)

No boost controller as not much point when running a restrictor ring with J spec ceramics.

That's not strictly true Brian - you can pick up a fair bit in the mid range before you get to full boost with an elec boost controoler. The effect may not be as dramatic on J specs but is 100% noticeable with steel turbined turbos. If you're looking for every last bit of performance without upping the boost....

I'm not convinced I'd see any benefit given my hi stall which means pretty much a shortcut to nearly 4K RPM. Might have a play about with the boost regardless as I did get the boost solenoid with my MAP2 so can easily add on boost control functionality.

Cheers,

Brian.

Frusrating day we had not used the race map until that day, the car was much slower than on the road map. Went on the dyno and it was well down on power and the curve was allover. We did 179 on the 1 mile run.

Thanks to Andy and Ash for their help in trying to sort it, the power run on Sunday and the original at Thor are intresting, at 5250 rpm it makes about 100 hp more than it did at THor but then it all goes wrong. By 6000 at Thor it made 750 on Sunday 540, it struggled on to 720 @ 8500 rpm.

Any way its a learning curve, glad to see others had a good day well done Robbie on the 1/4.

Thanks Smigzy - first vids I've seen of my car :)

The 1st one looks pedestrian because it's my sighting lap. The 2nd run was OK but tbh I felt like I was reacting to the course rather than taking a proper racing line and as a result I was really having to man handle the car, in fact a few corners saw me using the handbrake to get her turned in on time!

I would have had more goes but the queues were nuts for it so I just forgot about that as my main objective for the day was to break into the 11's on the 1/4m :)

Don't suppose anyone got any pics / vids of my runs?

Cheers,

Brian.