The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Saw Die Hard 4.0 last night (no spoilers)

Pete

John McClane is back. The character returns as the same wise cracking destroyer of large things as before, but brought bang up to date in the timeline. (Daughter all grown up etc)

My only gripe is that the plot relies heavily on computer "hacking" and in typical fairyland style it's all ridiculously unbelievable with silly fluid GUIs, animations and impossible connectivity. ie: I'll just connect to the net on my Nokia, bring up schematics of a secret building in a 3D map within two seconds no problem...

The funniest line for me was saying they'll steel the entire USA accounts, pensions, monetary records on "a portable hard drive". I was rolling in the aisles with everyone in the cinema thinking I was a loon.....but that's just the IT part of me coming out.

Overall it's a great action thrill ride (as I think these things are described as?). Go and see it!

..and remember kiddies - piracy is bad, it's always better at the cinema (especially with Orange Wednesdays) ;)

Nice. Its got Timothy Olyphant in too, he's great :)

Gaz.

I'm surprised by your enthusiasm for this Tim fella. I'd not heard of him before. He was good in his role for sure.

Kevin Smith is in it too - Silent Bob does hacking. :D

Is the film as stupid and inplausible as it looks on the adverts? The bit I saw was a fighter plane going through a tunnel and John jumping off it (or something like that).

I really liked the first 3 as they are all fairly possible but this one just looks silly in my opinion. Could be wrong though.

Mark

Is the film as stupid and inplausible as it looks on the adverts? The bit I saw was a fighter plane going through a tunnel and John jumping off it (or something like that).

No it's not thankfully! I feared the worst from the trailers too, but it all fits together quite well.

No it's not thankfully! I feared the worst from the trailers too, but it all fits together quite well.

Oh right cool. Although I may have been better off expecting the worst as you get a pleasant surprise when it does turn out to be good :)

I really liked the first 3 as they are all fairly possible but this one just looks silly in my opinion. Could be wrong though.

Mark

I also saw DH4 last night and yes it is rather silly and implausible. It's good fun though and McClane is as entertaining as ever. He didn't seem to have so many wisecracks in this one but when he eventually did manage a yippeekiyay it was quite amusing.

The film has too much CGI for my tastes and as Pete says the "isn't it amazing what they can do with IT nowadays" was silly but for entertainment value it was great.

I'm a huge fan of the original DH flick so maybe I more forgiving than I would have been otherwise.

My favorite quote for DH4 is John's telling a badguy that his girlfriend is "at the bottom of an elevator shaft with an SUV up her ass"

The thing about movies and TV is that you have to pace stuff, and if the film featured 4 hours of a progress bar downloading files, no-one would go to see it. You also have to explain stuff to the viewers - not everyone runs hosting companies! That's why you have fluid shiny animated GUIs instead of a command prompt.

I could tell you how a 9mm FMJ *SO* wouldn't pop a fire extinguisher but you'd tell me to just shut up and enjoy the film, and quite rightly so ;)

Not that I've seen it yet, Die Hard Day on Sunday, gonna watch 1, 2, 3 and then go to the cinema for 4 :nana:

-Ian

Brucey was on Johnathan Ross the other night

I saw that - quite painful to start with wasn't it? Bruce just didn't seem very relaxed.

The thing about movies and TV is that you have to pace stuff, and if the film featured 4 hours of a progress bar downloading files, no-one would go to see it.

For entertainment value you're totally right of course.

Went and saw this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Providing you switch your brain off on the way in, you'll love it ;)

Yeah the action is OTT but that's part of Die Hard, I mean he surfed a truck down a tunnel in Die Hard 3 :D

I laughed quite a bit too, you just can't beat cheesy lines in a non-serious action flick ;)

Mark

i thaught the same. thats the stupidist part of the film the rest is good.