removing weight from the supra

grahamc

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the stock front seats are ridiculously heavy. I thought the old ones in my gt4 were heavy but the electric supe ones just take the mick. also the subwoofer and seatbelts are pretty heavy. the stock double din is nearly 3kg!!

Those front seats were a pig when I took them out... nearly dropped one on my foot :D

My dad sorted out the wiring for the windows 'cos it usually ends in disaster when I touch electrics. The driver's side switch block has been relocated into the hole for the ashtray. It seemed to be a relatively easy job, you need to loop it somewhere onto the passenger side wiring otherwise they don't work.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow. It looks a bit rough at the minute, but I've got a plan to make a cover for it.

You manage to get that photo?

Who does good deals on the following:

rollcage

carbon fibre body panels

battery - emailed ChrisW, waiting for a response, who else?

cabling needed for battery move

:search:

I believe there was a thread about 6 pot endless brakes where Paul Whiffin mentioned a big weight saving over stock on each side. The endless calipers are a lot lighter than UK spec ones.

My 355 rotaras are 2.5kg lighter than the stock uk disks and calipers per side, and better imho. They coped well with the 170 ruboffs at marham. I'm sure the endless are just as good and the same weight as mine.

My 355 rotaras are 2.5kg lighter than the stock uk disks and calipers per side, and better imho. They coped well with the 170 ruboffs at marham. I'm sure the endless are just as good and the same weight as mine.

You got a link, pics price??

Cheers for that! Definitely want to see the finished pics. Looks about right for what I want to do! :D

Ive saved plenty weight off mine and i rekon it makes a nice difference to the performance, interior is stripped, rear seat, carpets, seat belts, amps, speakers etc, just pair of carbon buckets and a very light rollcage.

The D2 brake kit weighs about half what the stock uk's weighed id say.

Rear window wiper and motor is gone, window washer reservoir and all hoses.

strpped engine bay of stuff that aint needed, charcoal canister, all the aircon stuff has been taken out, pipes, compressor, rad, and the twin turbos:D

Ive saved plenty weight off mine and i rekon it makes a nice difference to the performance, interior is stripped, rear seat, carpets, seat belts, amps, speakers etc, just pair of carbon buckets and a very light rollcage.

strpped engine bay of stuff that aint needed, charcoal canister, all the aircon stuff has been taken out, pipes, compressor, rad, and the twin turbos:D

i fecking love your interior

i fecking love your interior

Pics?

Sounds pretty good!! What no carbon doors or fenders??

Sounds good!

Now that really ups my interest in those brakes!!

I believe there was a thread about 6 pot endless brakes where Paul Whiffin mentioned a big weight saving over stock on each side. The endless calipers are a lot lighter than UK spec ones.

Also lighter wheels will help with your unsprung weight.

Moving the battery to the back is a good idea, as long as you keep it a low as possible. But youll need a sealed/dry battery.

Also the washer bottle when full is 3 ltrs or more = 3 kgs+ so moving it to the back will improve weight distribution.

The rear spoiler can go as well s the rear wiper and motor.

If your car is UK spec then removing the trac pump and related hoses will save 3 more kgs and free up space under the bonnet

A titanium exhaust system with no cats will save a lot of weight.

If you havn't already got a strut brace then I wouldnt bother unless your only tracking it .

If you remove the aircon you might regret it on those hot summer days.....

Correct but they were the KAD 6 pots, 12kg a side saving, nice! Stick some nice light alloys on there as well and thats a big chunk of unsprung weight gone in an instant.

so for me at under 6 foot, it should be fine! :p

I'm 5'7 and there is no way I'd want to drive a Supra with a full rollcage without a skid lid.

To save a few kg's and gain some bhp throw the 2JZ in a skip and put in a GM LS7 engine, it's something rediculous like 75kg lighter.

Correct but they were the KAD 6 pots, 12kg a side saving, nice! Stick some nice light alloys on there as well and thats a big chunk of unsprung weight gone in an instant.

is that for the front and rear, or just the front??

I'm 5'7 and there is no way I'd want to drive a Supra with a full rollcage without a skid lid.

To save a few kg's and gain some bhp throw the 2JZ in a skip and put in a GM LS7 engine, it's something rediculous like 75kg lighter.

Still looking for a rollcage, havent found any that I like so far. Its all going to be done progressively... Engine will come later...

is that for the front and rear, or just the front??

Just fronts

Still looking for a rollcage, havent found any that I like so far. Its all going to be done progressively... Engine will come later...

What type you after, I can do alloy or steel bolt in or arrange for custom weld in if required.