The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Yo Yo Yo

DODGYDODDS

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Missed you first time around - welcome to the club :)

What's your obsession with detonation though? Det doesn't cause turbos to fail. Don't try to come over as a tech guru unless you're the genuine article - you'll be as transparent as a window on here!

Cheers,

Brian.

Missed you first time around - welcome to the club :)

What's your obsession with detonation though? Det doesn't cause turbos to fail. Don't try to come over as a tech guru unless you're the genuine article - you'll be as transparent as a window on here!

Cheers,

Brian.

BRIAN PLEASE,, obsession, only mentioned it once calm down mate, detonation under extreme pressure, i.e 0.4-0.5bar over what a turbo is rated for, can cause either a shaft failure or blade failure so can just the extra pressure alone, put them together and it is not good, im not trying to come over as a guru, but i do know me stuff on that one mate, it is not an impossibility.

It happened to me mates rally car, and defenatley is not a good thing. But like i said ''I'' fitted my new ones and all is well for now. So credit where it is due, not a numpty if i can take off, and replace the turbos on what is quite a complicated sequential system.

got to be said though the noise it made after the failure was quite cool. The supra death whine lol

BRIAN PLEASE,, obsession, only mentioned it once calm down mate, detonation under extreme pressure, i.e 0.4-0.5bar over what a turbo is rated for, can cause either a shaft failure or blade failure so can just the extra pressure alone, put them together and it is not good, im not trying to come over as a guru, but i do know me stuff on that one mate, it is not an impossibility.

Detonation does not kill turbo's... but overspinning them by running rediculous amounts of boost, thus generating much more heat, does.

Detonation does not kill turbo's... but overspinning them by running rediculous amounts of boost, thus generating much more heat, does.

i said that mate,, i was drivin boost spiked to a ridiculous level, then detonated, then went bang, but to be fair that happened in like 3-4 secs. How gutted was i:(

I'm perfectly calm. You however are coming across as the excited 10 year old eager to please with tales of what tricks he can do.

You mentioned it more than once ;)

Cheers,

Brian.

no mate not trying to please or being an excited 10yr old, just defending myself, as i know all to well that some elements claim the world, just saying i do have some technical prowess.

however do need help with something, will put a thread up after tea, take it easy all.

I think that people thought that you were talking about detonation as in pre-ignition, rather than something blowing up / falling apart at several thousand rpm :)

Welcome, btw :)

On another note, were they hybrids that died? If so, they seem to be getting a bit of a rep as unreliable - I've lost count of the number of hybrid failure threads i've seen on this forum.

Changing the turbos isn't the most fun in the world, is it? :)

I think that people thought that you were talking about detonation as in pre-ignition, rather than something blowing up / falling apart at several thousand rpm :)

Welcome, btw :)

On another note, were they hybrids that died? If so, they seem to be getting a bit of a rep as unreliable - I've lost count of the number of hybrid failure threads i've seen on this forum.

Changing the turbos isn't the most fun in the world, is it? :)

yes they were stage 2 hybrids, couldnt believe it 4 secs and they failed gutted i was mate. and thanks for the welcome/info.

hi dr blackman, where abouts in herefordshire you from