The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is There Anybody Here Who Hasn't Stuffed Their Supe?

Chewie

Have you ever stuffed your Supe?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever stuffed your Supe?

• Yes - I was driving like a loon, pilot error ...
    • Yes - It wasn't my fault - bad weather, mechanical failure ..
    • No - I'm too far good
    • No - I'm just lucky.

Iv also had a bad experience when no2 came online on wet roads, was coming of a roudabout and tight left turn, on pops no2and I span 180 ended up facing a bin lorry and went sideways up a kurb (smashed my front bumper :( ) and that was only 1week after I bought the car, had it since july and never had any other accedents:) but I must agree it would be sensible to do some sort of advanced driving lessons to bring my driving capabilities up to standard (well more adavanced to be able to fully control the soop)

Squiffy DID do some driver training - the airfield day I organised last year!

That day was brilliant.

I've been an owner for almost 2 years and have crashed once, into a motorway barrier. That was only a month or so after purchase though, I'm a fair bit more "in control" now :innocent:

taken it easy so far, only giving it the boot when it's straight and dry, had a couple of hairy moments when wet so am taking my time and getting used to the 2nd turbo kicking me in the arse

It would too much of a waste to push it too early in my supra ownership and write one off; slowly slowly, catchy monkey.[GRIN][/GRIN]

Only had mine almost a year, few unexpected twitches from the back - some of those were due in a large part to crap tyres. Had a few moments when purposely getting the back out turned into impromptu donuts too.

Drive like a pussy when it's wet/icy though and despite really liking the auto box, I do think I'd feel safer with a manual.

been sideways on a roundabout but not hit anything had a few scary moments on the 2nd gear kick down, but used to it now .came out of the jetwash once the tarmac is really smooth thought id show off and plant it she did a 180 and i was facing the other way (yes i felt a pratt)

Stuffed my last single in the summer while driving straight, off boost, 50mph with no acceleration, backend just wobbled and sent me straight across 2 lanes into a wall. Was later told the car kicked up some fluid from the road before it suddently went :( Was opposite a chemical plant too....

been sideways on a roundabout but not hit anything had a few scary moments on the 2nd gear kick down, but used to it now .came out of the jetwash once the tarmac is really smooth thought id show off and plant it she did a 180 and i was facing the other way (yes i felt a pratt)

I've noticed that too - after a jet wash it's very tail happy. Almost caught me out before but hopefully I just looked like a bit of a hero when I managed to not spin. Mind you, if anyone had seen my face they would have known otherwise

Reading this & other threads it seems Supe owners kryptonite is the roundabout. I have to say that tallies well with my own experience last year when I lost it on a roundabout at no more than 20 mph. It's the pendulum motion. One instance your turning right then next left. With a big fat arse hanging out with 80 litres of V Power that's a lot of mass to control.

So surely suspension mods have to be the main priority over BPU & Bling!!

My first day of ownership couple of years ago:

10.00am - Pick up nice shiny Sup from garage (with big grin on face :D )

10.10am - Cruising (it's my new pride & joy don't want to ding it)

10.15am - Oooo pull in 2nd gear is nice :sly:

10.20am - Building up bit of confidence now ;)

10.25am - Look in mirror, BM behind me (hey!! I can take this guy :taped: )

10.28am - Approaching roundabout about 70ishhhh :blink:

10.28.23am - Ooooo back sliding :sos:

10.28.25am - Coming out of roundabout, now on other side of road (life flashes before me :eek: )

10.28.27am - Back on correct side of road, BM zooms past flashing :wtf: , I park up for breather at edge of road :oops:

10.30am - I head home doing 40mph thinking SHIIIIT!!!! that was close, nearly crash car before even owning it for half hour.

Couple years on, thankful that I had no Turbo under the hood for my first cocky race in a rear wheel drive. :twak: (and the fact there was no one coming the other way when on other side of road, feeeewwwww)

Some live the tale, some don't. Moral of the story -

DON'T ACT A TWAT IN A HIGH POWERD CAR. (on ya first day)

Regards,

Jim

I recon its not the car, it's is the RWD thing.

The first time anyone gets into a high performance rwd car from a fwd or 4wd car it is such a shock. The MR2 forum has the same discussions haha ... who has spun their car etc? Only span my old one once and that was when running in TOTB 3 :D

My supra RZ TT in standard form slides very progressively, much much less grip at the back end though compared to an MR2 turbo and the standard traction control is AWFUL quite frankly.

I'd strongly recommend an airfield track day to anybody new to rwd to enable them to get a feel for what happens at the limit of traction. Great fun as well!!

I understand the rwd can be a problem if you are not used to it or stupid, but all BMW's are rear wheel drive as are porsches etc, but i do not see many BMW or Porsches that are put away for the winter and just used in Summer, driving like a twat is the main cause of "offing" surely, i.e accelerating harshly from standing to even 30mph will present a mighty swing of the back end in most conditions, it is not the speed necessarily but how it is achieved, if you have a powerful car and you boot it in any condition bar a straight line(and even then you may get caught) then you are taking a gamble

I had my first and (touch wood!) only car crash when I crashed mine 2 years ago. I was showing off and driving like a proper twit. Tried to drift it off a round about with a severe camber change , had the back end out for around 100foot but over corrected and managed to round off 3 corners on the crash barriers, very close to ending up in a river. Details here: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=30302

Major, major lesson (financially too!). However I'm now far more respectful of the car and my lack of driving skill.

I had my first and (touch wood!) only car crash when I crashed mine 2 years ago. I was showing off and driving like a proper twit. Tried to drift it off a round about with a severe camber change , had the back end out for around 100foot but over corrected and managed to round off 3 corners on the crash barriers, very close to ending up in a river. Details here: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=30302

Major, major lesson (financially too!). However I'm now far more respectful of the car and my lack of driving skill.

I remember that evening mate, "just going out for a spin"..........10mins later, back comes Homer with a pranged Supra, "what happened", "lost it on a roundabout"........:(

Over 5 years of ownership and not pranged it yet *touch wood*, and if I was to prang it now, it would hurt financially the most now due to the amount of time and money thats gone into it, the further you go on the less you can risk pranging it in my experience.... ;)