The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance Nightmare

Gough

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Jake

Sorry Gough I forgot to ask him until today.

He's 23 with 2 years NCD and lives in a SO53 postcode

His car is a '93 TT Aerotop with no mods apart from aftermarket 17'' alloys.

He pays Elephant £750 for 10 months Fully Comp.

Apparently Elephant do some scheme where you buy insurance for 10 months but they give you a full years NCD.

HTH etc

--

Jake

Cheers Jake. I called Elephant (again) and this time spoke to someone who was a little more understanding. Managed to get a really good result. :thumbs:

having seen Foodfreaks post about Liverpool Victoris I decided to give them a go, they had quoted me last year but it wasnt competitive. Eventually got through to somebody and it was well worth a call.

I got through to Kevin Radford on 0800 608 608 x 5182. Went through the quote process and they came back with £560 fully comp. £40 more than Bell without even talking about modifications, so I said that theres no way they could match Bell Direct once I told them about the mods and he said they dont take modifications in to account. You can do pretty much whatever you want to your car, so long as you keep receipts for the work done to show what was fitted they will insure any mods you have.

I asked him to confirm it with his supervisor and he did and said yes, its true, they will cover any mods on the car, you dont even have to tell them about the mods, just keep records of what you have. They basically insure based on the person and car, not on any other details. I specifically asked if they cover boost controllers etc and he said they will cover pretty much anything and I dont need to tell them what I have on the car.

So Im now insured with Liverpool Victoria and they are covering all the mods on the car, wheels, filter, boost controller etc.

I also asked about imports and he said if its on their list of cars they can insure it and that includes most imports. I also asked about under 25s and he said the computer would decide if it was possible but to call anyway and see if it was possible and he would do his best.

So if you have mods on your car then Liverpool Victoria have to be worth a go, ask for Kevin Radford on x 5182 and if he isnt there ask for a call back from him.

JB

i dont mean to be pain in the arse. But the girl im seeing works for them. she told me exterior mods or non performance mods are free to cover.

Engine mods they charge.U might wana dopuble check but styling mods is definatly free

she also thinks i would have to 30 or at least 25 for me to be insured with them. :( but only 90% sure as she never done anyone on a supra. but done a guy on a RX7 2 weeks ago who was too young at 24 so he was refused

I'm currently running the insurance gauntlet myself - sadly Liverpool Vic won't quote me until I'm 30 and Admiral have bumped my renewal premium up from £697 to £984 because I've moved house, I had a moan at them and they knocked it down by £97 but it's still scary :(

My current options are to renew with Admiral at the new price or move to Adrian Flux at £750 but be forced to buy a new alarm and immob because I'm still on the UK alarm with an added Vecta immob - they need a Thatcham 1 approved with certificate or no theft cover :( AF's excess is also more at £400 compared to Admiral's £250 - I can't decide which option to go for but need to make a choice by the 9th... still loads of people to call too.

I hate this time of year!

(For the record Tesco came in at ~£950 and Elephant wouldn't quote me because of the AVC-R)

Elephants 10 month Bonus Acceleratorscheme left me with 4 years no claims after 10 months !

I had previously been insured with them but as a accident free named driver for a year or so. I decided to insure a car with them in my own name, they gave me a years introductory no claims then 2 years no claims because I had been with them accident free named driver for 2 years, so after the 10 month policy they provided me with 4 Years Proof Of No Claims

Bonus Indeed !

Dave

Originally posted by DaveRex

£1800 ?

Isn't that a good price ?

not when i could be paying £1200 with no need to declare mods if i was 6 months older!!! the main worry is that that is tesco and they are getting a bit funny about all the mods, i've got a stash of engine bits to go on and i can't see them going for it...

is £1800 good then? what are other 24 year olds paying?

Nearly had heart failure last night. Rang tesco because they sent me a direct debit confirmation (I've not agreed to any direct debit) and confirmed the renewal quote.

bloke: "hang on a minute, this hasn't been conifrmed yet"

me: "No, i've not excepted yet"

bloke: "no i mean it's got to be referred to the underwriters"

me: "oh God, you're not gonna say you can't insure me are you?"

bloke: "err.......there does look like theres a problem with the mods....hold on"

I was about to start killing. Luckily he came back to say that he'd confirmed it with them so I can still get covered. That would have been it- impossible to insure!! :eek: